Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

combi midi channels, dkit ifx

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thzrg

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:22 am    Post subject: combi midi channels, dkit ifx Reply with quote

hi everyone
i've been a long time user of the m50 and i know my way around it pretty well, but there's some things i'd like to ask here because i haven't been able to figure them out with the parameter guide:

MULTIPLE MIDI CHANNELS IN COMBI

when i'm making a COMBI i have to use MIDI channel 01g or Gch, otherwise i get no sound
but when looking at the way the preset COMBI are configured, for example A008 THE FUTURE OF FUNK , i noticed that all the drums are set channel 10 and the bass is on channel 3

this might be a basic thing.. but would someone explain this to me,, like, why is it that i get no sound out of the other midi channels.. does it have something to do that the patches routed to these channels are not triggered by the keyboard but the arp/drum track ??

DKIT IFX ROUTING

what i understand from the paramter guide is that this setting is used so that only certain drum sounds go through the ifx chain, but i dont know how to edit that .. would someone please explain how to take advantage of this function?

thanks!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is indeed as envisaged. Timbres in a Combi assigned to MIDI channels other than GCh, or 01, will not produce sound using the keyboard, but will be triggered by the Arpeggiator (if it is set to do so). If you wish to play Timbres that are not assigned to MIDI channel 01/GCh, without using Arpeggiator A or B, then an external keyboard, or other MIDI source (e.g. a sequencer) will be needed to send MIDI notes to the M50 on those MIDI channels.

MIDI channel 10 in a Combi is normally assigned to drums. Having said that, the MIDI channel used by the Drum track can be altered by the user in edit page P7 Arpeggiator/Drum Kit, Drum Track tab, in the Output parameter value box. The default is MIDI channel 10. Different "notes" played by the drum "track" (essentially another arpeggiator dedicated to drum patterns) will generate a different sound from the drumkit assigned to that Timbre.

Each Timbre in a Combi can be assigned Arpeggiator A, B, or Off, and this is done in edit page P7 Arpeggiator/Drum Kit, in the Setup 1-8 and Setup 9-16 tabs. These assignments can then be viewed (but not altered) in the Arp A and Arp B tabs on the Play P0 page.

Hopefully this answers the first part of the posting.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for the last bit...

As you suggested, each individual sound in a drumkit can be allocated an effects/output routing. Moreover, for Programs, these routings can subsequently be altered on a per Program basis, by using what is referred to as the "IFX. Patch" matrix. This can also be done for Combis, but the approach is different.

To see the effects routing allocated to each drum sound in a drumkit, go to Global edit P5 (Drum Kit), Voice/Mixer tab. Tap on the note value near top right of screen, then change this value one note at a time (up/down buttons or value control dial; try to avoid using the value slider except for scrolling the keyvalue rapidly), and look at how the various parameters change in the Mixer section of the screen. Each drum sound has its own setting for Pan, Bus (IFX/Output), FX Control Bus, and MFX1 and MFX2 send levels. It is here that these can be edited, and subsequently saved. All this is pretty cool, so far, right?

Now to the "IFX. Patch" matrix in Programs. Go to the Program edit page P7 Arpeggiator/Drum Track, Drum Trk Prog tab and, for the Bus Select parameter, choose DKit. Now the IFX.Patch section of the screen is enabled, and the effects routings can be remapped (by default they are IFX1>IFX1, IFX2>IFX2... and so on). As might logically be expected, these effects re-routings will only be effective for drum kit keys that are set originally to IFX1 to IFX5 in the Global edit P5 Voice/Mixer tab, as described above.

In Combi mode, the approach is slightly different. There is still an IFX. Patch matrix, but it is reached by first going to Combi edit page P8-2 IFX Route2, setting the Bus (IFX/Output) Select routing for the drum Timbre to DKit, keeping that Timbre active by not tapping on any other Timbre's routing option, then going to the top right screen drop down menu, where the DrumKit IFX Patch option is showing as enabled, and making the necessary changes there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: