Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to play Combination programms from external Masterkeyb.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lowaz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: How to play Combination programms from external Masterkeyb. Reply with quote

Hello colleagues,

I play the Krome over a masterkeyboard via a midi patchbay (MidiTemp).

The Krome Gch is set to Ch. 1.
If I want to play the program 000 on bank B as an example,
I select [MidiChannel 1] - [Bank 1] - [Prog 1] etc. in the MidiTemp.
All programs on each of the 6 banks can be controlled this way without any problems.

For the combination programs however I do not manage to select them as well.

Can someone tell me

- which midichannel I have to choose to get it played bei the external Masterkeyboard

- whether i have to set a specific midichannel for the combinationprogs inside Krome? How?

- whether I have to send a bit sequence in advance to access a combination program externally?

I am curious about your answer
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Krome's GCh is set to 01, then the external keyboard should play the Combi timbres as if they were being played on the Krome's own keybed.

Look at the Combi Timbre Param page (Combi edit Page 3). Any Timbres set to GCh should respond to the external masterkeyboard, if it is sending MIDI note on/off messages on MIDI channel 01.

lowaz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: How to switch Combination programs directly via MIDI Reply with quote

Thanks voip for your reply.

I think I did not describe my request correctly.
I want is to be able to switch Combination programs directly via MIDI.

Why?
So far I am setting up songs on my KORG Wavestation, much like the Combinations in KROME.
There I am able to define up to 8 zones für one song. For each zone I have to assign its own MIDI channel, if I want an external sound generator (like ROLAND D70, E-MU ESI400 or Hammond Expander HX3) to react to my corresponding keys.

Now I replaced the ROLAND D70 with the KROME.

If I continued my setup like this, it would mean:
For some songs I need up to 4 different progs from the Krome (which I used to control on the D70 by now).
This would mean that for a single song, for which I needed 4 KROMe Progs, I would have to copy 3 Progs to bank F and assign them MIDICh. 2, 3 and 4....

Much smarter indeed is KROME's Combination concept. I create a new combination on the KROME and define all zones, splits and Programs with their whole parameters in it instead.

By the way, if the KROME had even a halfway acceptable keyboard - like the Wavestation, I would also sell the Wavestation...

So, esteemed colleague, can I switch the Combination Progs via Midi?
If so, how?

Lothar
lowaz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: How to switch Combination programs directly via MIDI Reply with quote

Thanks voip for your reply.

I think I did not describe my request correctly.
I want is to be able to switch Combination programs directly via MIDI.

Why?
So far I am setting up songs on my KORG Wavestation, much like the Combinations in KROME.
There I am able to define up to 8 zones for one song. For each zone I have to assign its own MIDI channel, if I want an external sound generator (like ROLAND D70, E-MU ESI400 or Hammond Expander HX3) to react to my corresponding keys.

Now I replaced the ROLAND D70 with the KROME.

If I continued my setup like this, it would mean:
For some songs I need up to 4 different progs from the Krome (which I used to control on the D70 by now).
This would mean that for a single song, for which I needed 4 KROMe Progs, I would have to copy 3 Progs to bank F and assign them MIDICh. 2, 3 and 4....

Much smarter indeed is KROME's Combination concept. I create a new combination on the KROME and define all zones, splits and Programs with their whole parameters in it instead.

By the way, if the keys of the KROME were even halfway reasonable to play - like the keys of the Wavestation, I would sell the Wavestation immediately and use the KROME as a masterkeyboard instead....

So, esteemed colleague, can I switch the Combination Progs via Midi?
If so, how?

Lothar
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It should be possible to change a Program that is being used in a Combi by using SysEx messages. It will be necessary to find out exactly what those messages need to be. The way to do this would be by using the Korg Krome Editor to change Programs within a Combi, and "sniffing" the MIDI traffic that results from making such changes (note that the Krome EX does not yet have an Editor software to support it, only the Krome non-EX is currently supported). Note also that, because of the limited number of effects (IFX, TFX and MFX) Programs may not sound exactly the same in a Combi as they do in Program mode, and some carefully thought out effects editing may be necessary.

lowaz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="voip"]If the Krome's GCh is set to 01, then the external keyboard should play the Combi timbres as if they were being played on the Krome's own keybed.

Look at the Combi Timbre Param page (Combi edit Page 3). Any Timbres set to GCh should respond to the external masterkeyboard, if it is sending MIDI note on/off messages on MIDI channel 01.
Idea
lowaz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="voip"]If the Krome's GCh is set to 01, then the external keyboard should play the Combi timbres as if they were being played on the Krome's own keybed.

Idea
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: