Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to buy in 2021?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nico88

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: What to buy in 2021? Reply with quote

My beloved M50 is in need of some TLC now. I love this keyboard so much, but it is starting to show signs of age. The keyboard itself has had to be repaired by a tech twice in 2 years, and after 15 years of regular gigs and constant transport I think it is time I bought something new. But what should I buy?
For me, I still think the M50 holds its own against most current workstations in respect of sounds and editing, so whatever I buy needs to be an upgrade, with better sounds, robust for gigs, but won't break the bank.
Budget £1000-£1500 preferred.
Any thoughts?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Korg Krome would be the most obvious replacement. It is the M50 successor, the price is right, and the menu system is very similar, so there would be very little in the way of a learning curve.

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: What to buy in 2021? Reply with quote

nico88 wrote:
My beloved M50 is in need of some TLC now. I love this keyboard so much, but it is starting to show signs of age. The keyboard itself has had to be repaired by a tech twice in 2 years, and after 15 years of regular gigs and constant transport I think it is time I bought something new. But what should I buy?
For me, I still think the M50 holds its own against most current workstations in respect of sounds and editing, so whatever I buy needs to be an upgrade, with better sounds, robust for gigs, but won't break the bank.
Budget £1000-£1500 preferred.
Any thoughts?

Depending on how attached you are to the M50, maybe you could consider getting another one, albeit, it will be used.

I still use my M50, and the one I sold to my friend in another band still uses it. I still program it for her and she likes it, but says that there are not a lot of synth sounds on it that she wants. I program them for her and she seems to be happy.

I use mine for distorted lead guitar sounds. The way one can route EFX on the M50 is still very powerful and with a little bit of inventive programming, yuo can emulate slides and other sample nuances that Korg have put into the newer models.

Depending on what your issues are for the M50, it may be repairable, again Smile

If you really want to get something newer, then the Krome is the obvious choice. It is really the newer version of the M50 with added (and much better) piano sounds and EPs. I am not sure if the Krome has the DNC stuff that I have on the PA700, but the EDS-X engine is extremely powerful on the Krome.

I do feel that the Krome is an odd duck, considering the features of the Kross, but in its own right, the Krome is a fine instrument. It would be my choice if I needed to upgrade my M50.

I do not feel that the Kross would be a good replacement, mainly because of the EFX routings. It is limited and in that right, the M50 is still superior. The M50 has better sounds as well, except for the piano sounds.

I second voip's choice on the Krome to replace the M50 if you need to get something new. Used, at least in the USA, the prices can range from around $600 to $1000. I am not sure what your MSRP may be for a used or new one.

Good Luck Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
nico88

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Korg Krome 88 EX version Reply with quote

Many thanks for the replies. Its true, I do love my M50, and letting her go will be a wrench. I will probably go for something new, but I've heard mixed reviews about the newest Krome 88 - the EX.
What is everyone's opinion on this latest version - Krome EX?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg Krome 88 EX version Reply with quote

nico88 wrote:
Many thanks for the replies. Its true, I do love my M50, and letting her go will be a wrench. I will probably go for something new, but I've heard mixed reviews about the newest Krome 88 - the EX.
What is everyone's opinion on this latest version - Krome EX?

My understanding of the Krome EX is that it included some extra waveforms in there for EDM and Dance sounds for that type of music. I do not beoieve they deleted anything previous that was already in there.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Stargazer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roland FA-06 or FA-07 (more robust). Also FA-08 for 88 keys.

Check it out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: