Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KP3 Sampling Guitar and Mic in Mono

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ManaBelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: KP3 Sampling Guitar and Mic in Mono Reply with quote

I feel like this is a rookie problem, but I want the right solution Smile

Im having annoying things with trying to get a stereo signal using my Mackie 802VLz4 and Kaos Pad as an AUX FX / Sampler. I want to get a stereo or dual mono signal going into the KP3 so it returns a stereo FX signal and samples on L and R.

I think the FX return in stereo but the KP3 is only sampling in mono when sending mic, monosynth and or guitar channels.

There is a trick on my mixer, if I plug in the right channel return only the Mackie auto doubles the mono signal, which is fine and no one notices live, but I know the FX then wouldn't be in stereo. I want to take advantage of the stereo fx and have my samples recording on both channels.

Should I just use a splitter on the Aux send? Thank you
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

For what it's worth...

Typically an effect unit like the KP3 will take in mono signal at the MIC input and apply effects to it which slightly differs between L and R at the output, creating a full (virtual) stereo image.
When using the stereo line in, it depends a bit on the chosen effect, some have clear distinct L/R audio paths, others will do cross talk between L/R, others mix first the input signal down to mono, apply the effect and then spread it back again in separate slightly different L and R.

The aux output of the Mackie is mono, so no need to to buy a splitter, it will be mono anyway.

If you really want a stereo signal from the Mackie into the KP, your best option according to me is to set a channel to use the ALT 3/4 outputs, which then goes into line in of the KP.

Have fun.
ManaBelle

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank Youre right the FX do come out both channels, but the sampling was in mono, I didn't want to use the alt 3/4 function because its eats up the mute buttons gives me less flexibility overall. I need the aux mixing knobs on all the channels as well. I also need all my channels for instruments as its a small mixer. I thought the AUX send was a stereo TRS but I've never been able to get a stereo out signal from it, however, I've also never outputted anything thats in stereo. So I solved it by using a mono 1/4 to 2 x female rca adapter plugged into the aux out. Feel kinda dumb because i tried that before but somehow it was still mono...the KP3 is sampling and returning on both channels now. Smile

Sometimes you just need to talk it out lol
ManaBelle

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone out there have specific experience with this mixer and a Kaos Pad as external sampler for live instruments? and live loop performance?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg KAOSS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: