Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Here - How Can I sustain Pads without touching kbd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AndrewE

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:20 pm    Post subject: Newbie Here - How Can I sustain Pads without touching kbd Reply with quote

Sorry if this should be an obvious answer.,
I'd like to choose say a Synth Pad (or Piano), Press a chord and then have it sustain without me holding down the keys, so I can play guitar over the top.
How do I easily achieve this.
I do have a Korg Damper Pedal BTW
Thanks
Andy
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Basically you need a switch pedal. In global mode you can set it up to switch between damper effect on/off.

You may also setup one of the switches to modify the release time of the AMP EG, but that will always result in a tone slowly fading away.

Other option, but to be tried out, set up an arpeggiator (custom pattern) that in fact only plays a chord (iso a melody), and use the latch mode. Use also long release times. The arpeggiator will in fact retrigger the chord over and over, and due to the long release times, one note fades into the other. With pads it might work well. With piano's it will probably sound more rythmic.

Have fun.
AndrewE

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats brilliant thanks,

Just to clarify, are we talking PS1 or PS3, or an EC5?
Stop my buying the wrong thing!

Cheers Andy
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Both PS1 and PS3 should do the job.
The EC5 is not usable for a Kross. It has a dedicated connector, only to be used with some specific Korg arranger keyboards.

Have fun.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Andy,

Let me come back on one thing.
You mentioned in the first post that you have Korg damper pedal. I guess you are not satisfied with it because you need to keep pushing it to hold the notes. Right?
AndrewE

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thats it,
The damper pedal I can control, but I want to switch the Pad sustain on and leave it on.
So I got a PS3 - but I have no idea how to configure it to do such. I am Googling to try and find ouy but having little luck so far.
I have found the Global\Switch settings but none that seem to have the same effect as suatin press and hold.
All so new to me
Cheers
Andy
lmatonement

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Continuous Sustain Pedal Reply with quote

AndrewE wrote:
Yep thats it,
The damper pedal I can control, but I want to switch the Pad sustain on and leave it on.
So I got a PS3 - but I have no idea how to configure it to do such. I am Googling to try and find ouy but having little luck so far.
I have found the Global\Switch settings but none that seem to have the same effect as suatin press and hold.
All so new to me
Cheers
Andy

I just got this pedal: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08FZWGYPK and it has two settings: Normally Open and Normally Closed (N.O. and N.C.). It has a switch on the side to select which setting you like.

Using this switch, the pedal is either always "pressed" until you press it at which time it acts "unpressed", or in the other configuration, it works like a normal sustain switch. Maybe this will do what you need? Good luck!
AndrewE

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks thats brilliant.
Looks like it should do the trick.
Cheers
Andy
lmatonement

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewE wrote:
Thanks thats brilliant.
Looks like it should do the trick.
Cheers
Andy

I came across another solution just now and thought of you!

https://imgur.com/iWTG9yG.png is the EXi (Programs) Basic/X-Y/Controllers page. See "Hold" in there? Here is what the parameter guide says on page 132.

Korg Nautilus Parameter Guide wrote:

Hold
[On, Off]
Hold is like permanently pressing down on the sustain pedal. In other words, notes continue to sound as if you were holding down the key - even after you lift your fingers from the keyboard. Unless the Sustain Level is set to 0 in Amp EG 1 (and Amp
EG 2 in a Double Program), the sound will continue to play forever–or, for EXi which support samples, it will play for the entire length of the sample(s).
On (checked): The Hold function is enabled for the range set by the Hold Bottom and Hold Top parameters, below.
Off (unchecked): Notes will play normally. This is the default setting.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

The hold parameter exist also on the Kross. But beware that this is to model instruments that always sustain a note, regardless how long you keep the key pressed. E.g. a drum sample of a tom. Or some octaves on a piano. Typically, it also means that the underlying sample is played all the way till the end where the sample on itself fades out already. Now when you apply that to a sample which is looped and does not have natural fading (e.g. a string sample), it means the note keeps sounding once hit (ok so far), but you will not have a way to stop it (not ok). I did not experiment with this though, as my Kross is stowed away.

I'm also a bit puzzled on the original question. Do you want sustain on keys played or on samples played by pushing one of the 16 pads. (not to be confused with pad sounds).

Bye
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: