Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loud Hum Coming From Main Outputs - Help Please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeyB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Loud Hum Coming From Main Outputs - Help Please Reply with quote

I have owned my Krome 88 since 2015 and it has worked perfectly for me up until a few weeks ago. My wife and I have been recording worship music for our church's live stream, and a few weeks ago, I sat down to work on a new song. When I turned on the Krome and the rest of my gear, there was a very loud hum coming from the Krome whenever a cable is plugged into either main output (L/R 1/4" jacks). If I turn the volume up, the notes are clearly audible, but the humming noise is still so loud that the signal is useless. My Krome has not been out of my home office/recording "studio" in almost a year, so nothing has changed in the set up. All of the other equipment (mixer, drum machine, computer, monitors, DI for guitar/bass, etc) all appear to be working perfectly. I'm familiar with ground loops, so I added a ground lifter to the power adaptor's plug ... no difference. Since then, I have attempted to troubleshoot everything I can think of, but no luck. When I connect the Krome directly to any of my amps, the humming noise is there. I have tried different cables; I have unplugged every other electronic device in the room; I borrowed a power adaptor from another Krome (owned by our church) but it made no difference. Every other instrument (various guitars, basses, keyboards, effects) I own has been tested and is electrically "quiet" when plugged in, so I don't believe it is a wiring issue in my home.
The only way to get a clean signal from the Krome is through the headphone jack. In fact, the last couple of songs we have recorded have been been into the mixer via the headphone jack. Through headphones, my Krome sounds as good and clean as ever. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is curious that the headphone out is clean but the line outs aren't, since, generally speaking, the circuits for both share the same power supply and circuit ground. Is the hum a regular 60Hz hum, or is it different?
MikeyB

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
It is curious that the headphone out is clean but the line outs aren't, since, generally speaking, the circuits for both share the same power supply and circuit ground. Is the hum a regular 60Hz hum, or is it different?

Yes, it's a regular hum. My first thought was "ground loop", but I can't find the source. The hum is there whether or not the Krome is powered on, so long as there is a cable connected between the line out and the amp or mixer input, and the power supply is plugged in.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try running the Krome, mixer and amp from the same mains outlet, via a multiway extension, and keep the mains cables fairly close to each other. Avoid running the audio cables next to the mains cables, but keep them not too far away.

If the hum is still there, check that the audio cable ground is good, and the jack sockets don't show signs of being loose.

Dan Stesco
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In certain situations (long plug or xlr-jack adapters) the soldering at the outputs may suffer and must be checked. It is possible the ground to be detached. In this situation is better to call Service.
MikeyB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Try running the Krome, mixer and amp from the same mains outlet, via a multiway extension, and keep the mains cables fairly close to each other. Avoid running the audio cables next to the mains cables, but keep them not too far away.

If the hum is still there, check that the audio cable ground is good, and the jack sockets don't show signs of being loose.

I'm sorry but I dont follow everything in your suggestion, specifically "mains" cables vs. "audio" cables. But, I will take a closer look at the Jack sockets on the outputs. Thanks for your help.
MikeyB

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan Stesco wrote:
In certain situations (long plug or xlr-jack adapters) the soldering at the outputs may suffer and must be checked. It is possible the ground to be detached. In this situation is better to call Service.

Thank you, Dan. I will check the output jacks. If I still can't determine the problem, my next step will be Service.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyB wrote:
voip wrote:

I'm sorry but I dont follow everything in your suggestion, specifically "mains" cables vs. "audio" cables. But, I will take a closer look at the Jack sockets on the outputs. Thanks for your help.

In modern day living, there are many sources of stray electromagnetic fields, arising from things like mains distribution wiring, motors, and transformers, which will induce currents in cables in the vicinity. The fields will vary in strength around the room. Placing cables close together tends to result in similar currents being induced, by the above fields, in the ground conductors and audio cable screens, helping to reduce hum. There is much about the subject on the web. See e.g. section 4 of this link: https://sound-au.com/earthing.htm

Also: http://diyaudioprojects.com/Technical/Grounding-Shielding/

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Loud Hum Coming From Main Outputs - Help Please Reply with quote

MikeyB wrote:
I have owned my Krome 88 since 2015 and it has worked perfectly for me up until a few weeks ago. My wife and I have been recording worship music for our church's live stream, and a few weeks ago, I sat down to work on a new song. When I turned on the Krome and the rest of my gear, there was a very loud hum coming from the Krome whenever a cable is plugged into either main output (L/R 1/4" jacks). If I turn the volume up, the notes are clearly audible, but the humming noise is still so loud that the signal is useless. My Krome has not been out of my home office/recording "studio" in almost a year, so nothing has changed in the set up. All of the other equipment (mixer, drum machine, computer, monitors, DI for guitar/bass, etc) all appear to be working perfectly. I'm familiar with ground loops, so I added a ground lifter to the power adaptor's plug ... no difference. Since then, I have attempted to troubleshoot everything I can think of, but no luck. When I connect the Krome directly to any of my amps, the humming noise is there. I have tried different cables; I have unplugged every other electronic device in the room; I borrowed a power adaptor from another Krome (owned by our church) but it made no difference. Every other instrument (various guitars, basses, keyboards, effects) I own has been tested and is electrically "quiet" when plugged in, so I don't believe it is a wiring issue in my home.
The only way to get a clean signal from the Krome is through the headphone jack. In fact, the last couple of songs we have recorded have been been into the mixer via the headphone jack. Through headphones, my Krome sounds as good and clean as ever. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

In the cables that you have tried, were any of them balanced (TRS) cables? They will look like a stereo jack on both wires on both sides. Sometimes having balanced cables will help take care of the problem.

Have you tried running one side (the left, as it would sum to mono) into the DI and then run the DI to your mixer? That may help as well.

I would also unplug the Krome from your power source, find some electronic cleaner (comes in an aerosol spray can) and spray out the jacks. Let the jacks dry (they will dry on their own in about a minute or two) and then try plugging the cables in again.

I am not sure exactly what the power supply looks like in the Krome (I use the Kross synths). It could be an IEC computer cable that plugs directly into the wall and the keyboard, or you could have one of those wall wart power supplies (or an in-line power supply that instead of a wall wart plugging into the wall, the 'wall wart' portion is between the line to the keyboard and the line to the wall).

If the Krome does use a wall wart supply, you may have to get a new one. If the Krome has an internal power supply, it may need to be replaced. The nice thing is that the if it does use a wall wart supply, they are easily purchased on eBay and other places. If the transformer is internal (in the keyboard), then that would be a bit more involved.

I do agree that it is weird that the problem would just surface after years of use.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
TimColeman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I was a child, music was my passion. I was always singing in the shower and school parties, meeting, and I had my solo at each party. Still, when I finished high school, I understood that I would love better to become a producer than a singer. I learned a lot because, without any money and acquaintance, I did everything by myself. The imperative help that I had was a website for a home recording studio setup . It's excellent for newbies or even producers that still need adjustments. I am still and my beginning, my I have some local contracts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: