Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg MIDI device limitation -Why the outdated MIDI drivers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kusho

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 4:51 am    Post subject: Korg MIDI device limitation -Why the outdated MIDI drivers? Reply with quote

I have a Prologue 16. It was not cheap.
So why is Korg software development so cheap?
Why is the Korg USB MIDI driver 10+ years out of date?

The Korg USB MIDI driver has a 10 device limit in Windows 10. If you try to connect more than 10 USB MIDI devices only 7 or so will work because the first 3 locations are reserved for system uses.
Windows 10 can quite happily accommodate over 100 USB MIDI devices with native MIDI drivers. The problem is Korg forces their customers to use Korg's outdated and useless, more than useless - sabotaging, driver.

I recently encountered this problem.
Is it because Korg doesn't want me to buy more than 7 of their synths? Or because nobody ever has?
You can probably tell I'm annoyed.

So I want to annoy Korg with this issue and hopefully bring their attention to it again, and again...
Any tips on going about this would be appreciated.

People probably just think the Korg Librarian Software is broken when their Prologue won't connect to it.

How many people have torn their hair out and wasted hours trying to solve this?

Please Korg, let us use the Windows 10 MIDI driver and free us from your ineptitude.
joe72

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

I just registered to the forum, hoping to find help.
My Prologue librarian stopped working after a few days, the infamous "Timeout, Please check the MIDI port settings in the Librarian."
I already wasted hours on this...
Your posting made me think, perhaps I made the wrong decision when choosing the Prologue.
kusho

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe72 wrote:
Hi!

I just registered to the forum, hoping to find help.
My Prologue librarian stopped working after a few days, the infamous "Timeout, Please check the MIDI port settings in the Librarian."
I already wasted hours on this...
Your posting made me think, perhaps I made the wrong decision when choosing the Prologue.

Fortunately someone has found a workaround solution.
Tim Shoebridge has made a very clear video showing how to solve this issue.
You will discover that the USB MIDI driver is not to be found on the Prologue downloads page. You can download it from the minilogue XD page, it's the same driver. Just follow the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVy2aqQm3U8

Essentially the Korg Midi Driver needs Korg's device to be in the first 10 slots of available USB MIDI ports in Windows. This is a holdover from Windows XP days. The Uninstall application makes it easy to change USB MIDI slot in the registry used by the Korg device. I guess that's why they made this application, so they know it's an issue but they are being lazy about it.
Just be careful not to uninstall the wrong thing or you'll need to reinstall your driver for that device.
I think you can safely uninstall anything called 'USB Audio Device' because that's a class compliant device which uses native Windows drivers so no installation is needed.
joe72

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! This is great advice.
Unfortunately, I have a lot of Midi USB Devices, and the tool does not allow a free sorting of devices if I understand it correctly.

BUT! In the meantime I discovered that the librarian does work with the good old standard Midi connection, too! Ignore the warning and go!
That will be OK for me, since I don't use the librarian so often.

Again, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!
kusho

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe72 wrote:
Thank you very much! This is great advice.
Unfortunately, I have a lot of Midi USB Devices, and the tool does not allow a free sorting of devices if I understand it correctly.

BUT! In the meantime I discovered that the librarian does work with the good old standard Midi connection, too! Ignore the warning and go!
That will be OK for me, since I don't use the librarian so often.

Again, thanks for the help, I appreciate it!

Good.
The uninstaller tool doesn't allow 'free sorting' but you don't need free sorting. You just need to remove 2 of the drivers occupying the first 10 MIDI driver slots so that the Prologue can take those 2 slots when it's turned on or plugged in. Then if you don't change your USB ports again the Prologue will keep those driver slots.
joe72

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, that should work then. I will try.
harleyD

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2021 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a PA600 which is about 3 years old. The OS has been updated to latest system and the latest USB Driver downloaded.

I followed both Tim Shoebridge's advice on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVy2aqQm3U8 plus another Youtube video where it showed how to do exactly the same in the Windows Registry.

However as you can see above, even putting the driver on 'the first page' still doesn't work.

I run Cakewalk for backing tracks into a UI24R for our band so the laptop ( Asus Rogstrix 16GB memory ) and Windows 10 is up to date.

So the MIDI USB simply doesn't work, despite trying the fixes suggested on the internet.

I can use a MIDI cable into my Focusrite Scarlettt 2i4 but I would prefer not to have to do that.

Is there any other way to get the USB MIDI driver to function how it should?

thanks in anticipation.

Harley
kusho

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harleyD wrote:
Hi all,

I have a PA600 which is about 3 years old. The OS has been updated to latest system and the latest USB Driver downloaded.

I followed both Tim Shoebridge's advice on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVy2aqQm3U8 plus another Youtube video where it showed how to do exactly the same in the Windows Registry.

However as you can see above, even putting the driver on 'the first page' still doesn't work.

I run Cakewalk for backing tracks into a UI24R for our band so the laptop ( Asus Rogstrix 16GB memory ) and Windows 10 is up to date.

So the MIDI USB simply doesn't work, despite trying the fixes suggested on the internet.

I can use a MIDI cable into my Focusrite Scarlettt 2i4 but I would prefer not to have to do that.

Is there any other way to get the USB MIDI driver to function how it should?

thanks in anticipation.

Harley

Greetings fellow Cantabrian.

A couple of things to try:
Have you installed the OS update for the PA600?: EDIT: I see you have.
https://www.korg.com/nz/products/synthesizers/pa600/page_5.php

With the application "Configure Korg USB midi driver" check if the driver is set to 32 or 64 bit?

You could try this, see: Solution 1: Disable Driver Signature once.

https://www.wintips.org/how-to-fix-windows-cannot-verify-the-digital-signature-for-this-file-error-in-windows-8-7-vista/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: