Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

finally sold Kronos, giving up
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tunaman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny... for me, it was pretty simple to get up and running and I love the interface, compared to my previous Korg boards. Maybe having started with the Triton LE and then moving to the Triton Extreme made it more simple or made it seem more intuitive, or maybe it was the countless hours I spent with every resource I could find (online posts, videos, and the voluminous Korg guides).

Of course, I started simple and learned the basics of navigation, file management (huge investment here), and was focused on performing and creating custom combinations rather than sounds from scratch or sequencing, or leveraging Karma for that matter, but I found it to be well worth it.

I still barely scratched the surface of the aforementioned features, but those aren’t what I require and use particularly at this point. I know if I need them I have a world-class instrument to deliver them, and as I evolve and advance I try to incorporate more along the way.

It isn’t a board to sit with for an afternoon and declare proficiency, but it is an advanced instrument which can do nearly anything your imagination can dream up.

Having watched nearly everything that JR has put out, along with Rich and James (to name a few), I have been inspired to continue to delve into the beast as it is (IMHO) the most amazing performance instrument I’ve ever owned.

I thank everyone who has forged the way and taken the time to post, create videos, or otherwise contribute to the collective knowledge.
worth
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beauty of this capitalist society we all enjoy is that you can buy a product , use it and if you don’t like it , sell it and buy something else . There is plenty of choice out there .

You don’t have to stick with any particular brand .

I hope you find musical success in whatever choice you make .

All the best .
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: finally sold Kronos, giving up Reply with quote

Mike Conway wrote:
There are a lot of people who don't deep dive on a Kronos. Korg realized that, which is why they simplified the Nautilus interface. Nautilus would be harder for someone like me, who likes to access all the knob/slider functions, but it makes sense for 90% of people who don't.

Hi Mike, I'm afraid this so-called "simplification" would finally be an illusion ! As you know, most of the former panel controls have been concentrated on this "little" display (7"). And all the sound desing operations are stricly identical.
Nowadays, most of the keyboards player are looking for keyboards with more physical controls, just because its simpler !

Yes, there are more colors on the Nautilus display (more Pinks !!)

I agree : for all of us who plays on Kronos, the Nautilus is not really simpler !!

Last edited by Liviou2004 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: finally sold Kronos, giving up Reply with quote

gminorcoles wrote:
I will probably buy an Opsix, it is cheap and represents that only part of the Kronos that I cannot really replicate elsewhere. Other synths have FM but the efrrot to expression ratio of the opsix is huge compared to many of them. While the opsix cannot take samples as input, I think only the PC4 from Kurzweil can do that besides the Kronos and its 1800 dollars. I might buy a PC4 for other reasons but its really just as complex as the Kronos if you want to go beyond presets + controller.

So I failed to maximize the value of this great machine, but it's not just my fault.

Of course, if you didn't really enjoy the Kronos, you were right to sell it.

But there is a kind of contradiction in what you say : you plan to buy an Opsix.
The FM synthesis is probably the most complex synthesis. Understanding this synthesis require many hours of practise. Most of the parameters of the Opsix are concentrated on a so tiny dislpay ! Actually, thanks to the Kronos display, it was a little more simple.
So, you sold your Kronos because of its complexity, but you plan to buy an Opsix, I must admit I don't understand !

On another side, if you really enjoy this kind of synthesis, you should give a look at the Yamaha ModX or Montage.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost would have written a post like this myself. I find the Kronos Frustrating but I also have learned that it's as equally rewarding. I've come across things I've learned to do with it that I've found are features not many bother with. One thing for me though is that I cannot deny some of the amazing work I've been able to record with my Kronos. It IS the center of my studio. It's my hub and all my other synths run into it.

I've worked a lot in the sequencer and I've gotten used to it and while I find it frustrating at times I have learned there's a lot to it's powers. The Sampler on the Kronos also. All of these things are rather brilliant but rather lackluster to learn and the factory manual doesn't help at all.

That said I can completely see someone's reasoning for not liking it. I had it sitting for a year before I got down to using it myself because I either got frustrated by it or just found my other gear easier to use. I feel like it's an "instrument" that requires you to really sit down and take the time to learn it. If you can't do that it won't be rewarding for you and it just might not be the tool meant for you.

You're not forced to like the Kronos and you probably didn't like it but kept it because you spent so much on it. It's best to find a keyboard you're happy with and inspired by than one that is the opposite for you.

I feel like there's ups and downs to the Kronos and the user interface is a big downer but the payoff after learning it is a big upper. Don't know what kind of Keyboard you were looking for but I would make a lists of what you want first and then pull the Trigger on the board that has just that.
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve been owning a Kronos since 2017. It’s the only machine I’ve ever owned that, almost 4 years laters, still overwhelmes me with its capabilities.

It requires a level of dedication that is really hard to achieve in these days where we long for instant gratification —and the Kronos does not lack instant gratification in many aspects. But the feeling of not having mastered it can be frustrating. Specially Karma, that’s why the Nautilius compromise on a having simpler scene based arpeggiator is a win.

Anyway, I love my Kronos, for me it’s an untameable beast, almost temperamental like a sports car. It will be my keyboard for ten years more, at least.
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fomalhaut wrote:
I’ve been owning a Kronos since 2017. It’s the only machine I’ve ever owned that, almost 4 years laters, still overwhelmes me with its capabilities.

It requires a level of dedication that is really hard to achieve in these days where we long for instant gratification —and the Kronos does not lack instant gratification in many aspects. But the feeling of not having mastered it can be frustrating. Specially Karma, that’s why the Nautilius compromise on a having simpler scene based arpeggiator is a win.

Anyway, I love my Kronos, for me it’s an untameable beast, almost temperamental like a sports car. It will be my keyboard for ten years more, at least.

That's me, instant gratification. If I can't get comfortable with a piece if gear after more than two-years, I have an impulsive knee-jerk reaction. I spend many hours a week trying get better at making music. I am getting better very slowly. But I am also improving at discriminating between gear that pays off in terms of time spent, and on the other side is gear that requires *dedication* and *devotion*.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fomalhaut wrote:

But the feeling of not having mastered it can be frustrating. Specially Karma, that’s why the Nautilius compromise on a having simpler scene based arpeggiator is a win.

t.

Karma reminds me of a love/hate thing. There is nothing 'wrong ' with Karma.

Korg not using it/improving it beyond native Karma in Kronos 1 [ 2011] was a business decision.

The ARPS for Nautilus were totally expected as Karma was long off the table.

I compose original instrumentals , record them on SEQ and upload to SoundCloud.

I use Karma on every one, esp for Drum patterns. It provides a lift to my songs.
The Karma GE’s for guitar and piano are also very useful.

Since I am productive with Karma, even without deep diving, I much prefer the dynamic
and creative possibilities using Karma.
blazerunner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gminorcoles wrote:
fomalhaut wrote:

That's me, instant gratification. If I can't get comfortable with a piece if gear after more than two-years, I have an impulsive knee-jerk reaction. I spend many hours a week trying get better at making music. I am getting better very slowly. But I am also improving at discriminating between gear that pays off in terms of time spent, and on the other side is gear that requires *dedication* and *devotion*.

What I think you have buddy is sellers remorse. You regret selling your Kronos and you actually miss it. What you want to hear from us is that you made the right decision by getting rid of it to make you feel more comfortable.

Truth is you made a bad decision buddy. You should have kept the Kronos and forced yourself to sit down and learn it. You sold the most powerful Keyboard in existence because you didn't bother to learn how to use it.

It's like having a Shelby GT-500 sitting in your garage and selling it because you never bothered to learn how to drive stick shift. I thought you sold the Kronos at first because it was a bad fit but it just seems more like you were just too lazy to take the time and learn it. You made a mistake buddy and you know it. There is NO Keyboard that you can ever replace the Kronos with because the Kronos is King for a reason. Unless you're going to a Software and Controllers there is nothing that compares to the Kronos.

Making music is supposed to be hard. Learning how to play and master an instrument is going to be hard. The Kronos is a complicated instrument to learn but once you do it pays off big time. You just never gave it a chance bud you just gave up and used it for other things because you didn't try hard enough to learn it. You just gave up and then gave it up.

My advice is find the person you sold your Kronos too and beg them to sell it back to you even if you have to pay more for it than you sold it to them for. It's the least you can do to repent for your sin against Korg.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos does instant gratification quite well. The key is to just stick to using the Set List, or directly navigating Programs and Combis, without making any parameter changes, and trying not to get intimidated by the complexity under the hood. We drive insanely complex modern cars, without thinking about what's really happening with the engine management system, battery charging, lane warning, forward facing radar, gear changes, regenerative braking, end everything else that's happening during driving.

If something doesn't quite work as expected, this forum has a wealth of expertise and enthusiasm to help your Kronos journey :-)

Docflick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos does instant gratification quite well. The key is to just stick to using the Set List, or directly navigating Programs and Combis, without making any parameter changes, and trying not to get intimidated by the complexity under the hood. We drive insanely complex modern cars, without thinking about what's really happening with the engine management system, battery charging, lane warning, forward facing radar, gear changes, regenerative braking, end everything else that's happening during driving.

If something doesn't quite work as expected, this forum has a wealth of expertise and enthusiasm to help your Kronos journey Smile

Yes, indeed! I had a Kronos 2 88 for three years, and I went the "instant gratification" route with it. Never really learned how to do anything except play preset programs and combis and add them to a set list. This bugged me after a while. The complexity of the Kronos started to make me nervous. Rather than do the obvious – actually put in the time to learn the instrument – I gave up and sold it.

Big mistake. Regretted it almost immediately.

So, second time around, I decided to actually print out and read the 300-page Operation Manual, and view videos, and visit this forum for tips. Lo and behold, I actually have became comfortable with the Kronos UI. Well, not exactly comfortable, but functionally literate with it. Not really sure how there are any "shortcuts" to learning the Kronos.
Current: Kronos 61 Titanium, Yamaha Montage 6, Roland Fantom, Dexibell Vivo S7 Pro, MPC Live II; Previous: Kronos 73 SE and 2 88, Yamaha Motif 6, XF, EX5, SY77, DX7 (x2), CP33, Roland JP-50, Alesis QS8
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blazerunner wrote:
gminorcoles wrote:
fomalhaut wrote:

What I think you have buddy is sellers remorse. You regret selling your Kronos and you actually miss it. What you want to hear from us is that you made the right decision by getting rid of it to make you feel more comfortable.

Truth is you made a bad decision buddy. You should have kept the Kronos and forced yourself to sit down and learn it. You sold the most powerful Keyboard in existence because you didn't bother to learn how to use it.

It's like having a Shelby GT-500 sitting in your garage and selling it because you never bothered to learn how to drive stick shift. I thought you sold the Kronos at first because it was a bad fit but it just seems more like you were just too lazy to take the time and learn it. You made a mistake buddy and you know it. There is NO Keyboard that you can ever replace the Kronos with because the Kronos is King for a reason. Unless you're going to a Software and Controllers there is nothing that compares to the Kronos.

Making music is supposed to be hard. Learning how to play and master an instrument is going to be hard. The Kronos is a complicated instrument to learn but once you do it pays off big time. You just never gave it a chance bud you just gave up and used it for other things because you didn't try hard enough to learn it. You just gave up and then gave it up.

My advice is find the person you sold your Kronos too and beg them to sell it back to you even if you have to pay more for it than you sold it to them for. It's the least you can do to repent for your sin against Korg.

these smug car analogies really bug me. and you guys are all turning out to be a bunch of aggressive assholes. It's like old guys running street legal corvettes at the track day cluck clucking the guy who downgrades from a porsche cup car to a custom M3 e46 club racer because he doesnt like having to put up a mechanic in a motel just to drive around the track, and then call him lazy. am I doing the car analogies right?
blazerunner

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gminorcoles wrote:

these smug car analogies really bug me. and you guys are all turning out to be a bunch of aggressive assholes. It's like old guys running street legal corvettes at the track day cluck clucking the guy who downgrades from a porsche cup car to a custom M3 e46 club racer because he doesnt like having to put up a mechanic in a motel just to drive around the track, and then call him lazy. am I doing the car analogies right?

Well it's true. You gave up the instrument because you were too lazy and undedicated to try and learn how to use it. You basically admitted to it yourself dude. What you seem to fail to realize is that every single person in here and outside of here that owns the Kronos had to work through it's learning curve and like myself (just look at my post history) is still working through it's learning curve. We just didn't give up because it was "hard" and then go off and sell it.

Ya Know...no one is trying to attack you dude at least not in the way that you're thinking. We're just being honest with you and telling you like it is. You gave up a good instrument because you simply didn't want to take the time to learn how to use it simple as that. You yourself admitted that all you used it for was a "controller" because you felt it was too hard to understand and gave up trying to learn. What do you expect any of us to say to you buddy? Should we all sell our Kronos in mass in protests of you not working through the learning curve? Heck no!

I'm going to sit down buckle up and learn how to use the thing. You think us guys here haven't printed out or read that thick operators manual? You think we don't try to watch videos on how to use the Kronos's parameters? Heck I even e-mail Korg with Kronos questions. I want to learn how to use my instrument dude! I'm not a quitter. Most of the stuff I even complained about before on here myself I find not to be that big of a deal once I learn it.

You don't really have a right to get upset at anyone here for sticking with something and getting better at it. If you don't like car analogies here's a music one. You just brought a $3,000 Stratocaster expecting to sound like Jimi Hendrix the moment you opened the case. Not realizing you're going to have to spend about 3,000 hours playing that guitar till you get anything close to sounding like him. All you did was attempt to play a few chords, get frustrated they sounded terrible put the guitar back in it's case and then use it as a footstool.

The moment you posted up about getting rid of your Kronos on a Kronos forum you knew all you really wanted to do was complain to someone about how hard you found it so stop pretending. You're a quitter talking to guys that are "winners" and didn't quit that are now enjoying their Kronos and making music with it. What do you really expect any of us to say? You think we're going to bash the Kronos along with you? Heck no dude, we've stuck it out and put in the work to learn it so we're busy ENJOYING what it can do. That's the difference. We know what the Kronos can do and you don't because you simply gave up. Now you want to call us "aggressive assholes" because we don't want to coddle you and tell you that you did the right thing. I won't.

You made a foolish decision you don't get a gold star for that. Take it from me I am a Keyboard hoarder. I own a lot of keyboards now and I still run to my Kronos and made it my main hub. I've spent these past 3 years of my life trying to learn it because it's just a really really really great Keyboard dude. I knew the problem with learning it was "me" but I didn't let "me" get in the way of it. I just want to learn the keyboard I don't mind being humiliated by it in the process or asking questions about it. These forums are a great resource when your learning bud but you just gave up on it.

So what do you really want us to say? You're talking to people like me who also struggle and struggled to learn this thing yet we still stick with it? You're a quitter dude, a deserter, a yellow belly and now you want a salute and a medal for valor because you decided to get rid of your Kronos? We all should be chucking RH3 keys at you till you take your yellow bellied self back to the music store and buy a Kronos again.

Last edited by blazerunner on Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
tunaman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aggressive assholes??? Wow, nice attitude. You sold your Kronos, posted your gripe, and yet you’re still here? Why?
KingKronos

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I would chide the OP for not coming on the forum enough to ask for help, I do think it's a bit over the top to condemn him for not "getting" the Kronos.

I had a revelation the other day regarding complex synths. There are two ways to look at it, from a musical point of view. One is like an engineer... you goggle at all the possibilities of all those parameters, and bask in the glory that you can do sooo much, whatever you imagine. That can be fun to explore... or it can be a type of paralysis -- or off-target distraction -- because of too many options. Less is more sometimes.

The other view is more practical, and a key to the muso in us all. We have this musical idea being born, and we want to give it life on our instrument. Instead of thinking of all the possibilities, we just want to get from A to B as quickly as possible before the idea evaporates, so that we can then move on to C and D. This is also called workflow, or just "flow" in general. The Kronos can be a beast in this area, especially if you're not prone to hold in memory what you want while you fly through tabs of parameters.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: