Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

One Dead Key on my Krome 88

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptomczak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: One Dead Key on my Krome 88 Reply with quote

Hi, I've tried everything, looking for some help!
My Korg Krome 88 has one dead key, the highest "B". Dead as in, no sound whatsoever.

The other 87 keys are fine. I've replaced the key contacts for that section already, and in fact went in two additional times to be sure everything was seated correctly, and no luck. The one key produces no sound. Everything else looks good, clean, nothing broken that I can see.

It's obviously out of warranty.

What else can it be? I'm at my wits end and willing to try anything short of sending it out for repair, at least until I've exhausted all of my options.

Thanks folks!
Phil
geoelectro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I service a lot of keyboards. Typically, loss of a single key is contacts. If that has been eliminated, then I would suspect the contact board. Remember the key contacts are scanned in groups so losing every 8th note for example would indicate the loss of a scanning line. In other words, contacts are wired to each other which is why the loss of one is unusual.

What I would suspect is some kind of damage to the contact board in the area of that contact pair. For example, it's very common around here to see something had spilled into the keyboard and a drop landed on the contact board. If not cleaned right away, it may eat away at the traces and eventually damage one. Depending on where that trace goes, a single contact or a group of contacts would likely fail.

Get your magnifying glass out and very carefully look at all the traces that go to, or come from, that key contact pair. There should be at least 4 traces, 2 for each physical contact per key. It doesn't take much to deteriorate a trace to stop working. If you do find the problem, you can jumper across the bad spot by soldering a jumper wire across it. If the problem is not visible you can verify continuity with an ohm meter.

Geo
N.I. Komplete 11, Omnisphere 2, VB-3.
HP i7 8GB Win 10
Yamaha P-80 Weighted Keyboard. NanoPad2
ptomczak

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geo. I took this into the only local Korg repair shop and the guy could not figure out the issue. Keys that were working are no longer working, and vice versa. He claims to have checked 88 diodes and every connection and has thrown up his hands.

I'm not giving up, if he is unable to find a contact board then I will try myself but initial searches are coming up empty!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: