Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Sample 2, USB problems
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bapcatarus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yuggs wrote:
nino poir wrote:
Hi there, trying to hook up my new volca sample2 via USB to Mac OS Catalina, , made sure the software is closed when I connect the machine...tried it in every port with 10 different leads, it just keeps on telling me the "volca sample is not connected"...

I can see many others have the same problem across Mac and PC.. is the problem the hardware of the actual micro USB port? There's no way of telling!

any tips greatly appreciated thanks!

I'm not sure if the issue is the same with Mac OS as in Windows, but from my experience with this issue on two different Windows computers, it is definitely due to the MIDI channel assignments on your computer placing the Volca Sample 2 at MIDI channel 10 or higher. When your VS2 is assigned to channel 10 or higher on your computer the Librarian software will not detect it.

The solution (on Windows, may also work for Mac OS) is to open the "KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility" that comes installed alongside the "KORG USB-MIDI Driver" and uninstall any MIDI drivers in the list between "midi0" to "midi9" as well as the driver for your VS2. You then plug your VS2 back into your computer and it should get assigned a MIDI channel between "midi0" and "midi9" within the KORG MIDI Driver Uninstall Utility, at which point the Librarian software should be able to detect it.

Here are the download links for the KORG USB-MIDI Driver:

Mac OS:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/1357/

Windows 10:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/3541/

Windows 8.1:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/driver/1/285/1356/

The drives won't even install on Mac OS Big Sur 11.1 installation failed every time... Brick wall

just hope and wait for Korg to update everything on mac os at this point.
csamms

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent days trying to get this thing to work with Big Sur. What a waste of time. Just tried it out on an ancient Mac I have laying around that's running High Sierra (it's such an old machine, it can't be updated past that) and Librarian worked like a charm. No driver downloads, no upgrades, just plug and play. These programs apparently don't even work for the Catalina OS. Korg is asleep at the wheel. And with a relatively new product.
citizensheep

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm    Post subject: No joy on Big Sur for me either Reply with quote

I'm glad it's not just me – I thought I was going mad or missing something really obvious. The software doesn't work with Big Sur for me either. I've tried re-installing, rebooting, changing usb cables, etc etc. I'm really annoyed by this; I'd only had the machine for a month before some of the samples started to corrupt and I can't reinstall them because the software won't connect. And the Sample 2 only came out just before Big Sur so Korg have no excuse; and Korg won't answer my enquiries.
nino poir

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Yuggs, I'll give this a go! Sounds Good
Bapcatarus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: still getting "Volca sample is not connected" on Big Sur, but i managed to salvage an HD from an old iMac that ran Sierra and booted from it externally... and Librarian is working fine!

Clearly there needs to be an update from Korg on the VS2, Korg MIDI drives or Librarian (most likely all 3), but it seems like Korg just doesn't care or wants to solve this issue? Been months at this point, shame.
erralb

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: No joy on Big Sur for me either Reply with quote

citizensheep wrote:
I'm glad it's not just me – I thought I was going mad or missing something really obvious. The software doesn't work with Big Sur for me either. I've tried re-installing, rebooting, changing usb cables, etc etc. I'm really annoyed by this; I'd only had the machine for a month before some of the samples started to corrupt and I can't reinstall them because the software won't connect. And the Sample 2 only came out just before Big Sur so Korg have no excuse; and Korg won't answer my enquiries.

Hi, has Korg replied to you yet ?

I've installed the "volca sample2/System Updater 1.01" on my Volca and changed the MIDI in/out option in Librarian.

I'm able to receive all patterns and receive sample individually, but the "receive all samples" does not work.

I'm also using BigSur...

Edit : I found an "alternative" using Windows10 through Parallels. Parallels isn't free, but I guess you could do it for free with VirtualBox.
Actually, in the end, Librarian is so bad compared to VoSyr...

Last edited by erralb on Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
citizensheep

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: No joy on Big Sur for me either Reply with quote

erralb wrote:

Hi, has Korg replied to you yet ?

Nope. I've heard nothing from Korg. I'm going to try the stuff you suggest, though; and I hadn't realised VoSyr worked with the VS2.
rmoumou

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.

Please try to change the channel mode from single to multi. In my case, although the manual states that multi channel is the default mode, this was not true.

Changing it from single channel (in my case it was selected channel 1) to multi mode, fixed the issue and the device connected sucessfully.

Im using mac big sur latest upgrade.

Hope it helps
guaranajul

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi
On Windows 10 Version 20H2 i have used compatibility mode as WIN8 for the programs and it works now !!
ed rib

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,
On Windows 10, my vs2 is recognised by the librarian.
It loads the sequences and samples from the unit when i open the software, great.
But i'm not able anymore to transfer samples TO the vs2, it ALWAYS says :
"
Timeout.
Please check the MIDI port settings in the Librarian.
"
Of course, the Midi Ports are manually configured to VS 1in and 1out.
I've been trying everything (different cables, different ports, re-install the software...) but i can't manage to get my new samples going in the machine.
Weirdly, the sequences are sent, but not the samples.
With the exact same cable and computer/OS/port it used to work just few weeks ago.

It is SO annoying !
I've even some memories i need to load into it for some bands, i really need it.
I hope someone could help me ?
Cheers
ed rib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, i tested with other computers, one Windows and one Mac.
Both were able to recognise the VS2 and to upload the sequences and samples from it.
But no way to send samples to the machine.
Always the same message :
"
Timeout.
Please check the MIDI port settings in the Librarian.
"

Does anyone has the same problem ?
I'm very anxious now as i have some gigs coming and i need to use some patterns and samples i worked and saved in my computer !

Thanks
ed rib

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to fix my problem.
The last thing i didn't try probably : re-upload the firmware !
Just had to check "don't check version" in the system updater for volca sample, so i had the 1.01 version installed again.
Now the samples transfer from computer to the volca is working again.

Weird, i can't explain why this works but i feel so much better now Smile

I hope there's a new firmware soon with new features (infinite sustain at decay 127!) and fixes of this kind of bug...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: