Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salamander Grand for Triton?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Salamander Grand for Triton? Reply with quote

Has anyone converted the open source Salamander Grand piano samples to Triton format (KSC, KMP, KSF files)? I've downloaded all the 16-bit .wav files, and if a subset of the 16 velocity layers is used (perhaps just 2 layers), it should fit into 96Mb. Of course, having the samples it's just the first step to mapping it across the keyboard. Just wondering if anybody has already done this - I suspect is a significant task.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried doing it myself. It turned out pretty well. Not Reuben quality, but decent! Easier and faster than I thought it would be. Good to learn the process.

I used one velocity layer (level 12) comprised of 30 stereo .wav files. I copied them to a single folder on a USB flashdrive.

I plugged the USB flashdrive into the Triton, MEDIA>Load, selected a wav file, then wildcard *, and they all loaded into individual -L -R samples. Easy peasy.
72Mb of 96Mb used. This could be trimmed down to accommodate a second velocity layer by trimming the ends of the samples, many of which are 15 seconds long.

From SAMPLER, I then created a new Stereo Multisample and renamed it SalmndrV12. This creates both -L and -R multisamples, and also ties together some of the processing so that if you edit the -L MS and its samples, the analogous operation is automagically applied to the -R MS and its samples.

The next step was to map the samples to a specific range of notes (3 notes per sample) which took me a while to figure out, but this video helped a lot:

https://youtu.be/PMeOcfRW66I?t=724

You must hit the "Create" button to advance the index pointer for the multisample. "Create" in this context doesn't create a new sample; instead, it adds a pointer to the sample with the specified note range to the multisample.

You only need to do this mapping to either the -L or the -R multisample, the key zone/range mapping to samples with be applied to both. I populated multisample SalmndrV12-L with all 30 -L samples (which then automatically also populated SalmndrV12-R with all 30 -R samples).

I copied an existing preset piano program, edited the oscillators from the OSC Basic tab to use the RAM multisamples SalmndrV12-L and SalmndrV12-R. Save all. I edited the piano program to make it sound "more better." And pretty much done.

Next I think I'll try actual recording of an instrument by sampling my 10-string lyre.

Last edited by bpoodoo on Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free piano!

This is a Triton sample format of the Salamander Grand Piano V2 using stereo wave files from velocity layer 12. The samples have been truncated so that no note exceeds 8-second duration. None of the samples have been looped. These samples occupy 49Mb of sample memory when loaded into the Triton.

Download, unzip, and see README.txt for installation instructions.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ufIxzr7IMdyaXkuXKURzK4NiSZpZ6fEV/view?usp=drivesdk

Enjoy!
bpoodoo

A performance using this sampled piano: https://youtu.be/PPazYIJnQjo
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a Triton sample format of the Salamander Grand Piano V2 using stereo wave files from velocity layer 12.  The samples have been truncated so that no note exceeds 8-second duration.  None of the samples have been looped.  These samples occupy 49Mb of sample memory when loaded into the Triton.

UPDATE July, 2023:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Zzcv4JwymBYMubEVLcJI3bEJy5FHG5_P/view?usp=drive_link

In SAL2023.PCG, programs have been added in the E program bank (E002, E115-E119, E123-E127) and new combinations in the E combi bank (E000-E017).  Programs E115-E127 must be loaded for the combis to work.

The combis provide better performance range with key velocity zones pointing to 5 programs with different filter frequency and intensity values.  These programs are intended to be used in the combis but can be used standalone ranging in tonality from dark (low) to bright (high) and are named according to their filter values from low to very high (l, m, mh, h, vh).  Combis pointing to programs with "w" in the program name point to programs with a time delay offset of 4 ms between the Basic OSC piano stereo samples which provides a wider stereo field.  Programs with "nd" in the program name have no delay.

Use realtime controls row A knob 1 (LFP Cutoff) and knob 3 (EG-Intensity) to further adjust filter response for the combi overall.  Use row B assignable realtime controls knobs 3 and/or 4 to adjust master effects (dual reverbs or phaser/reverb).  NOTE:  Changes to these settings cannot be saved to the combi.

The piano samples are the same, but the multisample key mapping has been modified.  Top-level file to load samples is SAL2023.KSC.  As before, each sample spans 3 notes.  Previously the pitch of the sample was mapped to the lowest of the 3.  Now the key mapping is centered such the middle note is the same pitch as the sample pitch (sampling Preference Position: Right, Zone Range: 3 Keys, Original Key Position: Center).  This should result in less pitch stretch and more accurate rendering.

https://soundcloud.com/user-353992699/clair-de-lune-2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: