Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lagging data-entry dial

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Track 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject: Lagging data-entry dial Reply with quote

Anyone else ever have trouble with the value dial not always changing values when you want it to?

Sometimes when I turn it clockwise by two clicks, it might advance the value on the screen by only one number instead of two. For example, say I want to go from program UA000 to UA002. If I turn the dial two clicks, it might stop at UA001 instead of UA002. In other words, the dial is moving freely, but the Kronos is not always "hearing" it.

I know the arrow buttons might be the better way to make small adjustments like this, but I can't help noticing the glitch. Is this a simple fix with a spray of tuner cleaner? Any other suggested remedies?
dimitris
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, the dial wheel on Kronos is not as good as on Pa4X.

Regards,
Dimitris
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this happen irrespective of whether the value dial is turned quickly or slowly? There's quite a bit going on under the hood when a Program or Combi is loaded. The complexity of the Parameter Guide is evidence of this, plus it is trying to pre-load quite large samples, whilst keeping going with the smooth sound transitions. If the dial is turned slowly, the Kronos shouldn't skip any steps, but rapid step changes will result in the Kronos lagging, and possibly missing Program/Combi change steps. Does the same thing happen when the value dial is used to change a parameter value or, for example, a timbre volume in a Combi?

Track 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It lags even on slow turns. I spend almost all of my time in Sequencer mode, and the lag happens on whatever setting I'm adjusting -- program selection, volume tweaks, effects levels, etc. Maybe what I'm noticing is normal, but it seems like the dial used to be more responsive. Wondering if there might be some dust or grit in there. I'm reluctant to try prying the knob off.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

On my K2 the data knob works just fine and I often work in sampling mode, so it has many hours of use. It might just has to do with the way it is made and - because of that - how one uses it.

The component is a SRGPWJ0200 encoder. A particular aspect of it is that the plastic knob which fits in the encoder is wider that its rotating cylinder. This can cause the component to end up out of balance and interfere with its internal contacts rotation if, for example, you turn the knob using let's say just one finger pushing on it near the outside perimeter in a "drawing circles" fashion. If instead you usually grab the knob on its sides with let's say three or four fingers, it should stay perfectly horizontal as it turns and remain very precise.

Certainly, Korg could have chosen more solid knobs for the Kronos, but knowing how the component is made, it might help one better deal with its imperfections. Personally, for very precise changes, let's say switching between two adjacent sounds in a list very quickly while playing during concerts or recordings, I will always prefer the up/down arrow switches or program a pedal/switch for this, etc.

Finally, if you have a older Kronos or X, you could have an unit with the well-known "old type" of data knob problem, which tends to detach more easily. Korg issued a replacement knob for this back then, it has a slightly tighter design/grip and could offer a bit more stability. This is shown in the Kronos Service Manual v2 somewhere in the last pages. Personally, I would certainly not use contact cleaner for this type of component.
Track 7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK, thanks for the info! My K1 is from 2012, so it probably has the old type of knob. I think I found the page in the service manual here. For now I will try modifying my dial technique to keep the knob balanced. And yes, I'll start using the arrow buttons for precise changes. Is the replacement a DIY project, or would I need an authorized tech to order the part and install it?
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The value dial is the one user interface control that has minor issues on my Triton Extreme. It's still usable, but it sometimes ignores a single encoder increment (one 1/30 of a rotation "click"), skips ahead several values, or even skips backwards at times. But it works smoothly with no misses or skips if I turn it with my finger on top of the dial opposite where the circular indent is located. I've gotten used to using the value slider, up/down buttons, and/or keypad as alternatives.

Last edited by bpoodoo on Tue Apr 20, 2021 4:11 am; edited 1 time in total
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt anything is wrong with your data wheel. As someone else said, when turning the wheel to load combis or programs, there is A LOT going on with each change. It tries to load each combi or program in between as you move it. Using the data wheel to select combis is not really the best way - use the up/down buttons, or select a location directly with the 9-key pad. The data wheel is really meant for large changes in parameter values, i.e. you have a parameter selected for editing and you want to quickly increase or decrease it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: