Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos making noise

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:01 pm    Post subject: Kronos making noise Reply with quote

I have my Kronos hooked up to my newly built PC through two brand new TRS cables going into my Focusrite 6i6. For some reason, my Kronos is making noise in my headphones coming out of the Focusrite (I know it's the Kronos because when I unplug the cables from the left and right mono outputs, the noise disappears) and the noise is being picked up in the audio path, as evidenced by my Cubase recordings. It didn't make any noise whatsoever with my old PC, so I'm not sure why it's making noise now.

For context, I have the Kronos situated almost directly above my PC and the entire setup is in a different part of the room from my last setup with my old PC. Any help in fixing this issue is greatly appreciated!
Track 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new TRS cables sound like the prime suspects. Do you have others to try? Also, do you hear the noise if you listen through your headphones plugged directly into the Kronos? There could be a bad contact at your L and R outputs.
Daniel M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just replaced the old cables with these. The previous cables were TS cables. The noise level went down a bit when I got these new cables.

The headphone jack doesn't give me any noise at all.

[quote="Track 7"]The new TRS cables sound like the prime suspects. Do you have others to try? Also, do you hear the noise if you listen through your headphones plugged directly into the Kronos? There could be a bad contact at your L and R outputs.[/quote]
Track 7

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, then maybe the issue is in or near the output jacks? Do you have something else you can try plugging the Kronos into using the same cables, such as another interface or recording device? Also, I would not rule out the Focusrite. Do you have another keyboard you can plug into it, again using the same cables? If so, do you hear the noise?
alland
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be related with some bad power, not power 50/60Hz hum but some noise caused by poorly built PSU (that usually use high frequency converters that may be leaking).
This can be pretty tricky to find out the exact cause (and more trickier to eliminate) but few things to try: (it would be good to get noise clearly heard (amp it up without any useful signal) and experiment to find out what has an effect to noise level)
1) Is there noise only when Kronos connected/turned on? Leave all connections in place but turn Kronos off, does that silence the noise? If noise is still there then remove AC cable from Kronos, is noise still there?
2) Experiment with AC power connetions - are PC, Focusrite and Kronos fed by same extension cord or same outlet? Try differentt variants to give AC power
3) Try different physical positions to see if this is radio frequency type of noise
4) If you have some DI box with full ground lift or other PA/mixer devices, try them between your Kronos and PC to see how the noise travels and where it actually gets picked up.
etc Smile
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that your PC hardware is badly isolated.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the usb cable can cause noise. Does the noise go away when you unplug the usb cable from your audio interface and pc? What about usb cable direct from Kronos to pc? If it is the usb cable, then a ferrite choke might solve that problem.

Other possible issues can come from power or grounding issues. Are the Kronos, your focusrite, and new pc all on the same power circuit? Is the Kronos too close to other electronics (rfi noise)? Flourescent lights? Mexican radio station? j/k

It might help if you could post an audio example so we can hear what type of noise it is
Purgatory

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check and turn down the mic/line level knobs at the back of your Kronos to zero, there are two inputs at the back with dials turn both to zero/MIN.

Easy test is go to sequencer mode (follow instructions below) and listen for it if it is there then the knobs have been turned up. Make sure to raise the gain/volume up on keyboard to high then it is easily heard.

Steps to test if the inputs 1/2 at the back of the Kronos is doing it:-

1- Go to Sequencer mode.
2- Click audio tab.
3- Select a audio track 1-16 any.
4- You will hear a hiss/humm if the audio inputs 1/2 is turned up.
5- Turn down to lowest on inputs 1/2 at back of the kronos the two dials.
6- No hiss or humm but remember to turn them up if you need them with a line device or mic or you will end up with no sound and pulling your hair out again wondering if the input settings are wrong or the inputs are broken.

Seems to come up a lot recently on many forums and social media pages this issue so added here as a reminder for the new users and the not so new users that always seem to forget this one when helping others with a hiss/humm problem and 99% of the time it turns out to be this because some one fiddled with the dials or the Kronos was moved and the dials knocked.
Daniel M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Purgatory"]Check and turn down the mic/line level knobs at the back of your Kronos to zero, there are two inputs at the back with dials turn both to zero/MIN.

Easy test is go to sequencer mode (follow instructions below) and listen for it if it is there then the knobs have been turned up. Make sure to raise the gain/volume up on keyboard to high then it is easily heard.

1- Go to Sequencer mode.
2- Click audio tab.
6- No hiss or humm but remember to turn them up if you need them with a line device or mic or you will end up with no sound and pulling your hair out again wondering if the input settings are wrong or the inputs are broken.

Seems to come up a lot recently on many forums and social media pages this issue so added here as a reminder for the new users and the not so new users that always seem to forget this one when helping others with a hiss/humm problem and 99% of the time it turns out to be this because some one fiddled with the dials or the Kronos was moved and the dials knocked.[/quote]

Is it possible that the Kronos could be insufficiently powered? A fella from Sweetwater recommended a power conditioner to me, but a friend who works with computers for a living told me that the noise could be caused by a bad power supply on my PC. I've looked into the power conditioner and it got me thinking about the possibility of a lack of power for the Kronos.
Daniel M

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Purgatory"]Check and turn down the mic/line level knobs at the back of your Kronos to zero, there are two inputs at the back with dials turn both to zero/MIN.

1- Go to Sequencer mode.
2- Click audio tab.

Seems to come up a lot recently on many forums and social media pages this issue so added here as a reminder for the new users and the not so new users that always seem to forget this one when helping others with a hiss/humm problem and 99% of the time it turns out to be this because some one fiddled with the dials or the Kronos was moved and the dials knocked.[/quote]

Is it possible that the Kronos could be insufficiently powered? A fella from Sweetwater recommended a power conditioner to me, but a friend who works with computers for a living told me that the noise could be caused by a bad power supply on my PC. I've looked into the power conditioner and it got me thinking about the possibility of a lack of power for the Kronos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: