Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg engineers talk about the Nautilus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

...So, I gonna try to summarize my thought : New sounds can't be an argument in favor of the Nautilus, as it will be easy to import these sounds into the Kronos, be Rom sounds or EXs...

Easy to import/copy? Please explain how. The .KSC ROM and EXs files are pointers (take a look at the file sizes) to hidden data. It is not possible to get to the hidden data (the actual samples) using the Kronos OS nor via FTP with a Windows/Mac connection. It might be possible to examine the Kronos SSD under a Linux system, don't know. Also don't know if these would still be, in some way, copy-protected/licensed to that particular device, but suspect they are. Loading a "sound bank" or PCG does not load the underlying samples, only program/combi data.

Easy to import the new German Grand, Yamaha Upright, small grand, new guitars, basses, etc. into an older Kronos? People would love that, but it ain't going to happen. It's possible Korg might make the new EXs libraries available to Kronos owners at some point...I wouldn't hold my breath.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Maxfpt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy to import the new German Grand, Yamaha Upright, small grand, new guitars, basses, etc. into an older Kronos? People would love that, but it ain't going to happen. It's possible Korg might make the new EXs libraries available to Kronos owners at some point...I wouldn't hold my breath.

Busch.[/quote]

I agree with Busch, the Nautilus sound are not readable by Kronos, but it’s obvious, people who own a Kronos have to buy a Nautilus if they want new sounds/samples.
It’s seems to read the same 2011’s, when Kronos was defined a scaled down oasys
In my personal opinion the oasys project/idea was so good to generate three generation of workstation without a real competitor, and let me said that I’ve loved my Montage, sold to buy a Fantom, that I’m loving too, but in the last ten years in my setup there’s always a Kronos ( before a 61 and now a K2 73)
Who knows what will be able to do the next flagship WS? Korg is always one step forward also when do a step rearward. Smile
dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
...The MODX is clearly an entry-level keyboard. The Nautilus is not...The MODX is a lesser version of the Montage, nothing more. The same cannot be said of the Nautilus.

There are certainly differences between Montage/MODX and Kronos/Nautilus, but as with all synth comparisons, potential owners have to decide what's important to them - for example, MODX-developed libraries not being backwards-compatible with the Montage probably doesn't matter to anyone but library developers...yes, the MODX is in some ways a "lesser" version of the Montage: it doesn't have the same high-end action, metal/aluminum construction, internal power supply, etc....but the MODX is fully compatible with Montage programs / samples / engines (as Busch noted), has reasonably good Yamaha build quality in lighter-weight plastic, and in most people's opinion sounds identical, at half the price (and half the weight!)...

Korg has apparently gone a different direction with the Nautilus: it is a "mid-tier" version of the Kronos, with many of the same features, but has a matching mid-tier price (about 70% of the Kronos)...but given the compatibility between MODX and Montage, the MODX is hardly an "entry-level" keyboard, and you have to decide if the additional features of the Montage are worth paying twice as much...
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:

...So, I gonna try to summarize my thought : New sounds can't be an argument in favor of the Nautilus, as it will be easy to import these sounds into the Kronos, be Rom sounds or EXs...

Easy to import/copy? Please explain how.

Busch.

Sure.

When I'm saying "easy", I don't say it doesn't take time, because it does.

The tool I'm using for this operation is "Sample Robot". (https://samplerobot.com/) The full version of Sample Robot can export to many synths format, so to Kronos format too.

Of course, you need the original synth to do that. But there is no technical issue.

Of course, all this is done in total respect of the copyright rules edicted by each manufacturer : for a stricly personnal usage only.

That said, if one day you create a good Nautilus Exs library for the Kronos, I will be happy to try and buy it !
hans1966

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Guys, in my concept I see more strengths than disadvantages in the Nautilus.

Okay, it doesn't come with all the surface controls that the Kronos comes with, yet I see that it comes with a lot of tools for music production.

I must say that in my case for reasons of the current contingency and with a fairly limited budget, I was able to get the Kross 2, which is quite good for an entry-level keyboard.

I hope that Korg fixes the possible software bugs in the Nautilus, and includes in a next firmware update, the piano roll tool.

maybe in the near future (if the current situation improves) I can get hold of this powerful keyboard.

regards

I choose the Peace of God!
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfahrner wrote:

There are certainly differences between Montage/MODX and Kronos/Nautilus, but as with all synth comparisons, potential owners have to decide what's important to them - for example, MODX-developed libraries not being backwards-compatible with the Montage probably doesn't matter to anyone but library developers...yes, the MODX is in some ways a "lesser" version of the Montage: it doesn't have the same high-end action, metal/aluminum construction, internal power supply, etc....but the MODX is fully compatible with Montage programs / samples / engines (as Busch noted), has reasonably good Yamaha build quality in lighter-weight plastic, and in most people's opinion sounds identical, at half the price (and half the weight!)...

Korg has apparently gone a different direction with the Nautilus: it is a "mid-tier" version of the Kronos, with many of the same features, but has a matching mid-tier price (about 70% of the Kronos)...but given the compatibility between MODX and Montage, the MODX is hardly an "entry-level" keyboard, and you have to decide if the additional features of the Montage are worth paying twice as much...

I don't disagree. The MODX would have to be at or near the top of anyone's list of keyboards in that price range. There's a lot of value there. My "tier" distinctions are mostly related to build quality/actions, etc. Yamaha did this throughout the Motif series, with a high-end version and then a version in the $1000-$2000 range with most/all of the capabilities.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Sure.

When I'm saying "easy", I don't say it doesn't take time, because it does.

The tool I'm using for this operation is "Sample Robot". (https://samplerobot.com/) The full version of Sample Robot can export to many synths format, so to Kronos format too.

Of course, you need the original synth to do that. But there is no technical issue.

Of course, all this is done in total respect of the copyright rules edicted by each manufacturer : for a stricly personnal usage only.

That said, if one day you create a good Nautilus Exs library for the Kronos, I will be happy to try and buy it !

I was just using SampleRobot last week to bring new sounds into my Kronos. I wish more Kronos users were hip to this program and how relatively easy it is to get new samples into their synth.

Busch.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hans1966 wrote:
So is it possible for Korg to possibly release a Kronos 3, or would we expect something totally different?

I have a minority opinion in regards to expensive work stations.

I don't accept the notion that history of prior 'success' will automatically repeat later this year or next year.[ we simply don't know the degree of profitability of a Kronos. Plus gathering components for a complex expensive w/s these days is very difficult].

However, we can stand by and see how Nautilus performs in the market place.

Its not enough for me, that it sounds very good or ' great'. All new key board products sound very good or ' great'. Thats the standard.

In addition, getting great sounding keyboard sounds is inexpensive. MainStage for $29 is an example. { most people have laptops and many don't mind using them in a performance environment.

IOW, I am cautious and suggest we take 1 year at a time. Lets see what happens in 2021.

Speculation topics occur every 2 weeks here. I suppose other opinions are as useful as mine is Wink. But I rely on hard data and current facts as much as possible.
hans1966

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi GregC, I agree with you.

I'm going to wait and see how the Nautilus theme develops (market, updates, additional software, and support)

In the meantime, I will continue to enjoy my new Kross 2.
discovering more things in that small and at
the same time great keyboard

regards

I choose the Peace of God!
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more i watch these video’s, the more the idea grows that the Nautilus is the new top of the line and the old model Kronos is phasing out.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vol #3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcArasVqwpk

Vol #4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVT_zdRc1Mw

70% new PCM data and over half of the programs are new.

Busch.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
The more i watch these video’s, the more the idea grows that the Nautilus is the new top of the line and the old model Kronos is phasing out.

I don't know that I'd call it top-of-the-line. I could see Korg continuing to provide the Kronos, even if it sells in limited quantities. I see the Nautilus as the OASYS-Kronos platform moving forward. That 70% new PCM and 50% new Programs is not a minor update. Moving away from KARMA to the new arps is similar. These are significant changes.

Busch.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Bachus wrote:

I don't know that I'd call it top-of-the-line. I could see Korg continuing to provide the Kronos, even if it sells in limited quantities. I see the Nautilus as the OASYS-Kronos platform moving forward. That 70% new PCM and 50% new Programs is not a minor update. Moving away from KARMA to the new arps is similar. These are significant changes.

Busch.

Wether we're happy or not, this is the reality : one day or another, Kronos production will be completely stopped. And The Nautilus si presented as the Kronos succesor. We can't do nothing against that.

That said, yes, 70% new PCM and 50% new programs IS a minor update. Nowadays, all new synths do come with hundreds, thousands sounds, programs or Performances. It would have been unacceptable to see a so called new workstation equipped with the same Kronos factory sounds !
As on an hardware point of view, the Nautilus is not an enhancement but rather a stagnation and, on some points a regression, the least Korg could do is providing some new sound !

As Greg says, let's wait and see what is going to happen !
Devnor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
the least Korg could do is providing some new sound!

They just did. The core PCM is a big part of the kronos strengths. If they've improved upon that, then I'm very much swayed by the engineer on video 3.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I have a minority opinion in regards to expensive work stations.

I don't accept the notion that history of prior 'success' will automatically repeat later this year or next year.[ we simply don't know the degree of profitability of a Kronos. Plus gathering components for a complex expensive w/s these days is very difficult.

Usually when the features of a flagship are appearing in a cut down lower priced workstation and the flagship gradually being phased out it’s a sign that a new flagship may be on its way.

On the other hand, Yamaha changed their mind years ago about the viability of a traditional workstation when they ended the Motif line and introduced the Montage, and who can tell for certain exactly what the Korg management’s view of workstations is.

My own personal opinion is that I think they WILL come out with another flagship, but I don’t know when.
What we have seen so far is that the present management IS aware of their past successes and is willing to take a concept from the previous management and further develop it, like with the Wavestate. So it is not as if the present management will steer Korg into a completely new direction and break with the past.
That’s why I don’t see any reason why they would turn their back on the concept of a workstation, something Korg has been very successful with.

In the meantime we have the Nautilus as the successor of the Kronos with no less than 70% new PCM content, and it really sounds great. I hope a brave soul will open up the Nautilus and show us if it’s possible to change the SSD.
I think it’s a great idea of Korg to let the engineers speak and shed some light on the Nautilus, it gives some valuable insight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: