Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos screen pads to Akai MPK249 controller pads

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Marr

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:06 am    Post subject: Kronos screen pads to Akai MPK249 controller pads Reply with quote

I want to be able to play Kronos' onscreen pads via MPK249 pads.
Just sold an OASYS. I want to be able to play external pads so I can view notes played on Kronos' small onscreen (tiny) keyboard.

It's a great way to learn the voicing and chord that a Korg Artist programed into the pads.

Thanks.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos screen pads to Akai MPK249 controller pads Reply with quote

Tom Marr wrote:
I want to be able to play Kronos' onscreen pads via MPK249 pads.
Just sold an OASYS. I want to be able to play external pads so I can view notes played on Kronos' small onscreen (tiny) keyboard.

It's a great way to learn the voicing and chord that a Korg Artist programed into the pads.

Thanks.

That's an easy one. Do you know what notes or CCs your Akai sends?

On the global Controllers page in Kronos, you can set the Kronos pads to either notes or CCs to match your Akai pads.
V-man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, is it also possible somehow to make assignments so I can use the Akai MPK249 pads to toggle KARMA switches on- and off?
KingKronos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-man wrote:
Hi, is it also possible somehow to make assignments so I can use the Akai MPK249 pads to toggle KARMA switches on- and off?

Yes, the KARMA sliders, switches, and scene buttons can be controlled via MIDI cc. This includes the Latch and KARMA on/off buttons too.

The default is cc102 to control switch 1.
cc103 = switch 2
cc104 = switch 3
and so on

You can find all the settings in the appendix of the parameter guide. KARMA function control
V-man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
V-man wrote:

Yes, the KARMA sliders, switches, and scene buttons can be controlled via MIDI cc. This includes the Latch and KARMA on/off buttons too.

cc103 = switch 2
cc104 = switch 3
and so on

You can find all the settings in the appendix of the parameter guide. KARMA function control

Great! Thank's alot. Can the same thing be done with the Increase / Decrease buttons of the Kronos? What I need is to be able to step up- and down between Setlist Slots with my left hand with the help of some external hardware device such as the Akai. This since I have a K2-61 on second tier in my rig and the touch screen and all buttons and switches are too far away during live play. I like to be able to put something like the Akai MPK249 on the left side on top of my Yamaha S90ES really close to my left hand. Of course I could use a pedal to step forward in the Setlist but I like to be able to step forward and backward, as you can do with the INC /DEC buttons to the left of the touch screen, but as I mentioned, for me, these buttons are too far away.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-man wrote:
KingKronos wrote:
V-man wrote:

cc103 = switch 2
cc104 = switch 3
and so on

Great! Thank's alot. Can the same thing be done with the Increase / Decrease buttons of the Kronos? What I need is to be able to step up- and down between Setlist Slots with my left hand with the help of some external hardware device such as the Akai. This since I have a K2-61 on second tier in my rig and the touch screen and all buttons and switches are too far away during live play. I like to be able to put something like the Akai MPK249 on the left side on top of my Yamaha S90ES really close to my left hand. Of course I could use a pedal to step forward in the Setlist but I like to be able to step forward and backward, as you can do with the INC /DEC buttons to the left of the touch screen, but as I mentioned, for me, these buttons are too far away.

Yeppers, this can be done too. Check out the Function Assign page on the Controllers / Scales tab in global.

They basically took all the various functions you can use a foottswitch for, and broke them out so that they're each addressable via MIDI cc. So you can even use your AKAI for octave up/down, for the assignable switches 1 and 2, or even to turn the drum track on.
V-man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
V-man wrote:
KingKronos wrote:
V-man wrote:

cc103 = switch 2
cc104 = switch 3
and so on

Yeppers, this can be done too. Check out the Function Assign page on the Controllers / Scales tab in global.

They basically took all the various functions you can use a foottswitch for, and broke them out so that they're each addressable via MIDI cc. So you can even use your AKAI for octave up/down, for the assignable switches 1 and 2, or even to turn the drum track on.

Thank's again! This will really be a great improvement! Now I just need to understand how to actually implement this. I still recognize my self as quite a newbie on the Kronos. Very Happy
KingKronos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try the Program up / down, I believe when you're in set list mode it functions the same.

For example, say on your AKAI you want to use two of your pads for up and down selection. You want to assign those two pads to unused cc numbers, something like cc14 and cc15.

Then on the Kronos Function assign page, under the Program Up, set it to cc14. For program down, assign that to cc15. If you've already got your AKAI talking to the Kronos you should be good leaving the channel to Gch.

That's it. The Kronos is really well-spec'd out when it comes to MIDI.
V-man

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
You might want to try the Program up / down, I believe when you're in set list mode it functions the same.

For example, say on your AKAI you want to use two of your pads for up and down selection. You want to assign those two pads to unused cc numbers, something like cc14 and cc15.

Then on the Kronos Function assign page, under the Program Up, set it to cc14. For program down, assign that to cc15. If you've already got your AKAI talking to the Kronos you should be good leaving the channel to Gch.

That's it. The Kronos is really well-spec'd out when it comes to MIDI.

Thank's! This really saved my day! Looking forward to experimenting more with this functionality! Very Happy
KingKronos

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to know the convention of which MIDI cc's are used for what. The Kronos follows most of the conventions here:

https://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list

For example, cc64 is always the sustain pedal, no matter what synth. So you never want to assign an AKAI controller to cc64, as that will conflict with sustain. Same for cc7 (volume), cc11 (expression, or volume "fine-tune"), and so on.

The takeaway is it's probably safe to use cc39 to cc63 for most of your needs, since they're unused. There's some handy tables in the parameter guide appendix, check out the Kronos and MIDI CCs section... you'll see that cc39-63 are empty. HTH
V-man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
It's good to know the convention of which MIDI cc's are used for what. The Kronos follows most of the conventions here:

https://nickfever.com/music/midi-cc-list

For example, cc64 is always the sustain pedal, no matter what synth. So you never want to assign an AKAI controller to cc64, as that will conflict with sustain. Same for cc7 (volume), cc11 (expression, or volume "fine-tune"), and so on.

The takeaway is it's probably safe to use cc39 to cc63 for most of your needs, since they're unused. There's some handy tables in the parameter guide appendix, check out the Kronos and MIDI CCs section... you'll see that cc39-63 are empty. HTH

Thank's. Yes, good to know! Just wonder, in the Global settings, Controllers / Scales / Function Assign tab, on each controller function there is a setting for MIDI channel. I guess this is the channel that the Kronos will listen to for the incoming CC messages, right? So i need to set the transmit channel on the Akai so it matches this channel setting on the Kronos.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

V-man wrote:

Just wonder, in the Global settings, Controllers / Scales / Function Assign tab, on each controller function there is a setting for MIDI channel. I guess this is the channel that the Kronos will listen to for the incoming CC messages, right? So i need to set the transmit channel on the Akai so it matches this channel setting on the Kronos.

That's right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: