Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Rotary Speaker (enable/disable)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ante1974

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Korg Rotary Speaker (enable/disable) Reply with quote

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what determines whether Set Lists and Combinations have the Rotary Speaker effect running? See pics below:

[img]https://ibb.co/TknqwTV[/img]

[img]https://ibb.co/0KgjqvS[/img]

I have found that the Rotary effects are noisy (anyone else have this issue, or is it normal), and I want to be able to disable them and only use them as insert FX for specific instruments. Does anyone know how to do this from:

a) within Combinations
b) within the Set List screen?

I had a look through the manual but just couldn't find it?

Many thanks,
Anthony.

Last edited by ante1974 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will need to dig into the particular Combi, and identify which CX-3 organ Program has the ' baked in ' Rotary speaker FX.

The screen tab is " Control Surface". there is a tiny radial on/off dial that says Turn off R/S.

Once you do that, replace the original Program with the above edited Program. in the Combi. If you like what you hear, write/rename your custom Combi. Then add to set list.

This was more involved than I realized.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammond organs and rotary speakers were noisy by nature. Hammonds naturally have some "bleed". Close micing can bring that out. You could try changing the mic distance in the rotary parameters.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ante1974,

If you are referring to the amp background noise emulating Leslie cabinets, simply go to the CX-3 organ programs used in the combi or setlist and under the EXi/Basic tab turn Noise Level to 0, then save.
ante1974

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I think you will need to dig into the particular Combi, and identify which CX-3 organ Program has the ' baked in ' Rotary speaker FX.

The screen tab is " Control Surface". there is a tiny radial on/off dial that says Turn off R/S.

Once you do that, replace the original Program with the above edited Program. in the Combi. If you like what you hear, write/rename your custom Combi. Then add to set list.

This was more involved than I realized.

Hi GregC, thanks for this advice. I tried it but the sound is completely different and a bit flat without the Rotary. KK's method solved that problem.
ante1974

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Hammond organs and rotary speakers were noisy by nature. Hammonds naturally have some "bleed". Close micing can bring that out. You could try changing the mic distance in the rotary parameters.

True, it's just that when I am recording, I don't want to hear the noise. I found a method that suits what I am trying to do, i.e turning down the noise level.

Last edited by ante1974 on Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
ante1974

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi ante1974,

If you are referring to the amp background noise emulating Leslie cabinets, simply go to the CX-3 organ programs used in the combi or setlist and under the EXi/Basic tab turn Noise Level to 0, then save.

Hi KK, yes this worked well for me. Thanks!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ante1974 wrote:
Hi KK, yes this worked well for me. Thanks!

Hi there,

You're welcome. I agree with you here in that IMHO there are certain things from original instruments that don't need to be digitally emulated. Piano string resonance is very important to reproduce, that's for sure. But piano action noise, piano felts rubbing against strings when pushing the damper pedal, Leslie cabinet background noise and so on, not at all.

That's great that those idiosyncrasies can be reproduced digitally but to me they represent imperfections that original instrument designers would have certainly eliminated if they could. So it always strikes me as weird that in this digital era they become quality requisites so we can say "Ah, this feels almost like the real thing". In my case, OK that's nice, but now let's get rid of those imperfections by turning them off. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: