Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volca Drum - Single Midi Channel Mode Doesn't Work (BUG)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
astrochili

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Volca Drum - Single Midi Channel Mode Doesn't Work (BUG) Reply with quote

I purchased my Volca Drum in April. This is a great sounding drum synth, really. But I still can't use it in my setup because of the bug that doesn't allow me to select a single MIDI channel.

As we know, Volca Drum has two midi implementation modes: single-channel (any of 1-16) and split-channel (1-6 for each part). But the single-channel mode simply does't work, it takes notes from ALL channels. This makes it impossible to use Volca Drum in the setup with external sequencer.

I also cannot use the split-channel mode because channels 1-10 are used by Volca Sample, so I cannot use them together.

Three months have passed and there was no any firmware update. I’m really looking forward to this bug-fix so that my Volca Drum doesn’t stay as useless box. Korg?

Other proofs:
https://www.reddit.com/r/volcas/comments/axirly/volca_drum_midi_implementation/
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/bbcges/lets_talk_volca_drum/eljmch4/
https://www.reddit.com/r/volcas/comments/bfrj2e/volca_drum_new_firmware/elmbsvw/
https://www.reddit.com/r/synthesizers/comments/bu64o9/korg_volca_drum_midi_is_fundamentally_broken/
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/showpost.php?p=13978238&postcount=110
https://www.elektronauts.com/t/korg-volca-drum/71041/273

Last edited by astrochili on Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
djresonator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the last time I ever buy one of these Volcas.
astrochili

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, a month later I received a reply from technical support.

"We are aware of this issue, and the new system software should be released sometime in September. Sorry for the inconvenience."

Will be waiting Smile
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now days is so nice with all these gear but internet is not helping because they can just release soon and later fix instead of long testing to make sure everything is working. What a shame!
slug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you gents familiar with the concept of MIDI ports? Any multi port interface easily allows use of this alongside other equipment without conflicting channels.

I use an old 8 port Emagic AMT8 i bought for about $70.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
Are you gents familiar with the concept of MIDI ports? Any multi port interface easily allows use of this alongside other equipment without conflicting channels.

I use an old 8 port Emagic AMT8 i bought for about $70.

It can definitely buy a midi interface but the OP here should be able to do what it aim since it's possible and he can use all the 16 channel without a new interface.
slug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheDoctor wrote:
It can definitely buy a midi interface but the OP here should be able to do what it aim since it's possible and he can use all the 16 channel without a new interface.

Yes thats right, i was just trying to be helpful as it seems a couple of people thought it was impossible to use as it was. I would think anyone with more than 1 Volca or other hardware MIDI device that is sans THRU would be requiring multi port at some stage anyway.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

slug wrote:
TheDoctor wrote:

Yes thats right, i was just trying to be helpful as it seems a couple of people thought it was impossible to use as it was. I would think anyone with more than 1 Volca or other hardware MIDI device that is sans THRU would be requiring multi port at some stage anyway.

Sure mate it's just crazy we still have gear with midi problem.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously? Noooooooo! I just bought a VDrum today and came looking for the MIDI note numbers. Well at least the BSP can do different MIDI channels per drum pad, but I do really need to use only one channel as I am wanting to work with a sequencer other than the BSP. Still a great instrument when running on the internal sequencer. The kick destroys the one on the VBeats.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
djresonator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:51 pm    Post subject: V 1.14 is up. Reply with quote

An update was released on 9/10, I just found out now.
Quote:
- Support for external clock synced delay.
- Added a new edit parameter to enable pitch quantization.
- Fixed single channel MIDI handling of note events.
- Fixed MIDI Song Position Pointer.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/809/4244/
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: V 1.14 is up. Reply with quote

djresonator wrote:
An update was released on 9/10, I just found out now.
Quote:
- Support for external clock synced delay.
- Added a new edit parameter to enable pitch quantization.
- Fixed single channel MIDI handling of note events.
- Fixed MIDI Song Position Pointer.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/0/809/4244/

Doh! Somehow I missed it too. Update time!!!!
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
lachancla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can anyone confirm that that update fixed the issue?
TatakTekno

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: v1.14 and SINGLE CHANNEL MIDI MODE Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I think I found the solution for this (it was bugging me so I really wanted to figure it out).

Korg Volca Drum Firmware: 1.14

Korg Volca Drum Setting: SINGLE CHANNEL MODE (where each of the keys show Channels 1-16)

MIDI Controller / Sequencer Notes:

Note C3 = Part 1
    Note D3 = Part 2
    Note E3 = Part 3
    Note F3 = Part 4
    Note G3 = Part 5
    Note A3 = Part 6

If anyone can verify this, feel free to reply. Hope you find this helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: