Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M3 XY & pads - external control?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orbvs_Tomarvm

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: M3 XY & pads - external control? Reply with quote

Hi everyone.

I have a problem that i don't know is solvable or not.

I'm currently using my m3 as a slave to another keyboard, and want to use the XY function with the pads to do something very specific.

I wish to use the XY screen to pitch bend the external midi channel selected that i've assigned to a pad.

(also, I'd like to do that while having a different external midi channel selected on the m3 so that I can play a different timbre on the m3 keyboard to the one thats on the pads. But maybe more of that later...)

the best i've been able to do is to get the joystick to pitch bend the pad when the pads' external channel is the one selected for the m3 keyboard.

...or the joystick of the MASTER keyboard to pitch bend the m3 pads when I've changed the m3 keyboard to a DIFFERENT external channel timbre.

If anyone could solve this problem, you'd be opening up a massive door for me and I'd be forever thankful 😃

Thanks in advance - Tom.
Korg Triton 76, Korg Triton 61, Korg Triton Extreme 76 + Moss, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Korg M3 + Radias, Korg Kronos 73, Alesis Ion, T.C.Electronic effects & SPL processors. Edirol M16DX. Mackbook Pro & Logic pro X.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it should be solvable. Let's see if we can.

The first thing is that to do all of this, you should be using a Combi. With this you can assign multiple MIDI channels. I presume you are, but if you aren't then you'll want to set up a Combi with your program(s).

The next thing you'll want to do is ensure the touch screen is able to send out MIDI CC's. By default it is switched off. Press the Global button. Press the Page Select Button. Touch the MIDI option on the screen. Then touch the MIDI Routing Tab. At the top right of the screen, select "X - Y CC Control" to turn it on.

To make this setting permanent and persist at next boot up, you need to write the Global Settings in memory. Touch the menu arrow at the top right of the screen and choose Write Global Settings.

Now, go back to your Combi.

Assigning the Pads to play a different MIDI channel is fairly straightforward. In your Combi, press the Page Select button, and then touch the the P1 DT/XY/Ctrls option on the screen. Next, press the the Pads 1-4 tab. Up at the top of the screen, you can select the MIDI channels the pads are sending on. By default, these are usually assigned to Gch, the M3's global channel. Choose the channel that you need here for the first 4 pads, then do the same on the next four pads on the other Pads tab. (Note: You don't have to assign all the pads to the same MIDI channel. You can mix them up, so that each pad sends on a different channel, if that is something you'd like.)

The X-Y pitch bend part is more involved. To start, you need to ensure that one of the Combi's program slots is set to transmit on the MIDI channel you want to bend pitch on, and that slot/channel must be set to EXT (external control). So if I read your post correctly, this would be the same channel as your pads channel. Right? But if not, it can be any channel you need.

There is one caveat you have to be aware of. The XY screen is ALWAYS going to transmit external MIDI on the M3's Global Channel regardless of what we do next. Fortunately, we can disable the M3 from responding internally to it, which is what we'll do.

In your Combi, go to the P3 Timbre Param page and for the MIDI channel you need, set the Status to EXT.

Next, go to the P1 DT/XY/Ctrls page in your Combi again. Here you are going to turn off the XY volume and CC controls for everything except for your EXT program slot.

Beginning with the first XY Volume tab, uncheck the Enable Volume Control box at the top left of the screen. Then, just to be safe, uncheck all of the enable Program X-Y Volume boxes at the bottom of the screen. Repeat on the next tab, including the one for your EXT program. You don't want it sending out volume control when you only want pitch bend sent.

On the XY CC tabs, turn on Enable CC control at the top left. Next, uncheck all of the boxes except for your EXT program slot. Leave that one checked so that it sends out MIDI on your desired MIDI channel.

Finally, you can decide how you want the screen to work for pitch bending. If swiping it left and right to bend pitch up and down is what you want, then select the +X and -X parameters and choose JS+X and JS-X as your CC options, then set the +Y and -Y parameters to OFF.

Alternatively, you can swap those routings if preferred so that the swiping up bends pitch. You can also make the screen only bend pitch on one direction (e.g. bend up) if you only select one option and turn the rest of them off.

Give this a go. I think I covered it all, but let me know if I missed a step somewhere or if you're getting undesirable behavior.
Orbvs_Tomarvm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, that was incredibly precise and bang on the money 👍🏻

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out, it's very much appreciated.

I wonder, do you know if I can use any of the m3s internal sounds whilst it's in slave mode?

Thanks again, Tom.
Korg Triton 76, Korg Triton 61, Korg Triton Extreme 76 + Moss, Korg Triton Extreme 61, Korg M3 + Radias, Korg Kronos 73, Alesis Ion, T.C.Electronic effects & SPL processors. Edirol M16DX. Mackbook Pro & Logic pro X.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do. :)

I don't know what your setup is, but the general theory of operation is this: You have up to 16 different MIDI channels to work with when you are using a Combi (or the sequencer). The M3 will respond to all of those MIDI channels regardless of your Global channel setting. The trick is assigning your M3's global channel to something other than your master controller's channel, and then using Combis set up appropriately to respond to the master's channel. That leaves you free to play the M3 while the master controller triggers the other timbres in your combi.

Example:

Let's say your Master controller is sending out MIDI channel 1. You would then set the M3's Global MIDI channel to 2.

Now you build a new combi, and in the Timbre Params page, anything you assign to Channel 1 will be triggered only by the master controller. Leave the Status for those set to INT otherwise they won't sound.

Anything you assign to channel 2 will be played only by the M3's keyboard. It's that simple. Meanwhile, you can still assign the M3's pads and X-Y screen to any other MIDI channel you choose. In essence, you have two master keyboards this way.

One important thing to note when doing this.... KARMA might get in the way, and even though it might not be turned on, there is one setting that will force the M3 to play other MIDI channels internally (this is also highly useful, but can be annoying if you don't know about it).

If you play the M3's keyboard and you hear it playing the timbres that your master controller should be playing, then KARMA's "Thru" function needs to be unchecked. You find that on the Combi's P7-1 KARMA GE Setup screen. At the lower right of the screen are four checkboxes under the heading "Thru." An init Combi will have the first Thru box checked. So uncheck that and all should be good.

The other thing is that setting your M3's global channel to anything other than channel 1 sometimes breaks Combis that use KARMA and or that Thru function. I have other keyboards that I use to trigger my M3, and I have set their global channels to other numbers other than 1. I actually have them at channels 11 thru 16, as those are unlikely to interfere with any Combis, KARMA and their settings.
Orbvs_Tomarvm

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh. my. god. you've just given me two masters and 32 channels to now use LOL sorry, I can't stop laughing. this is madness HAHAHAHA 🤣
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: