Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PANNING Sounds (Instruments)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i3 (new - 2020 model)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adelphiaUK

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:30 am    Post subject: PANNING Sounds (Instruments) Reply with quote

I have had my i3 for a couple of weeks now and I must say it's taking far longer to get to grips with this keyboard than I have with others in the past.

I have searched through these forums and there is only one topic/post that I can find that specifically relates to this keyboard and in it they state it's "problematic". What that actually means I'm not sure. Does it mean it's real hard to do, hard to find or simply doesn't exist?

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction please so I can set my instruments as required directly on the keyboard (i.e. not through software).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I've searched through all documentation that I can find in respect of the i3 but there is no reference to this setting in them either
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: PANNING Sounds (Instruments) Reply with quote

adelphiaUK wrote:
I have had my i3 for a couple of weeks now and I must say it's taking far longer to get to grips with this keyboard than I have with others in the past.

I have searched through these forums and there is only one topic/post that I can find that specifically relates to this keyboard and in it they state it's "problematic". What that actually means I'm not sure. Does it mean it's real hard to do, hard to find or simply doesn't exist?

If someone would be so kind as to point me in the right direction please so I can set my instruments as required directly on the keyboard (i.e. not through software).

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I forgot to mention I've searched through all documentation that I can find in respect of the i3 but there is no reference to this setting in them either

I cannot find anywhere in the i3 information about panning. I will get an e-mail out to Korg and see if we are just missing that feature. I feel that panning is a pretty important feature.

It would be helpful to know which post(s) you read about this feature. I think that maybe I am the one commented about that, but I either could be wrong, or may not be the only one who commented about that.

I will send Korg an e-mail about it and post their response when I receive it...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
adelphiaUK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: PANNING Sounds (Instruments) Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:

It would be helpful to know which post(s) you read about this feature. I think that maybe I am the one commented about that...

Yes you did post about it, which is where I got the information from (http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=792736#792736). The trouble with the search function (unless there's a special format for the search syntax which I'm not aware about) is the if you search for PANNING, that's what it will find, PANNING but search for PAN and it will NOT find PANNING although PANNING contains PAN.

I hope that makes sense Wacky and I look forward to seeing what feedback Korg give to you.
adelphiaUK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: PANNING Sounds (Instruments) Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:

I will send Korg an e-mail about it and post their response when I receive it...

Just wondering if you've heard anything (and forgotten to post their reply)?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: PANNING Sounds (Instruments) Reply with quote

adelphiaUK wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:

Just wondering if you've heard anything (and forgotten to post their reply)?

No. I have not forgotten, nor have they gotten back with me yet. I will post when they do Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
adelphiaUK

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning (at least for me here in the USA).

I just received a response from Korg regarding the Panning feature for the sounds - at least allowing us, the users, to pan sounds at will...

"Hi Harry,

Thank you for contacting Korg USA Product Support and for purchasing the i3. We’re not sure if you received a response to your last inquiry. If not, we apologize for the delay!

Unfortunately, there is no current way to pan the individual instruments to the left and right output channels but I am more that happy to forward your request to our development team for consideration in a future os update.

Best regards,

Product Support
KORG USA Inc."

This is a basic response from Korg that usually does not result to anything much. I am hopeful that something so simple could be added in a future update to the i3. In my opinion, the ability to Pan instruments should be required operation for ANY keyboard.

We will see if this yields anything in the future for an OS update.

Sorry it took so long for a response, as they did not respond to me previously about this after I sent my initial query.

I was doing a bit of thinking about the Panning function on the i3 though and suspect that it could probably be done through SYSEx, but if you are like me, you are not running your keyboard with a computer. If you decided to, you could probably generate MIDI CC with SYSEx to initiate Panning on different channels.

As for my use with the i3, I do not use it with a computer. I play it live and that is why being able to program the Panning on the Upper 1,2,3 and Lower is important.

I wish that I had a better response from them on this. Since COVID, I have noticed it takes about 2 weeks for a response and the responses I get are generic, at best.

Grace,
Harry
adelphiaUK

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Harry and thanks for the response.

It's not your fault and I find it hard to believe that a company like Korg could leave such a feature out although these days it's quite probable (given I recently spent a considerable amount on a new router which had no settings for IP release timings or for admin login timings. but I diverse).

I do use a computer connected to my i3 so I could look into setting the SYSEx although if I wrote a piece of MIDI music, I would probably set it during initialization although I'd have to remember how I used to do it, given that this is my first keyboard in over 4 years now (maybe even longer - time flies so fast).

Could you not "hook up" to a PC and set your instruments, save them to a USB stick and then load them back in when you want, live? Would that not work; I don't know I'm still learning how to get the rhythm and sounds I want, never had them in banks like this before.

Anyway, I'll continue to tinkle on the old (new) ivories and see how I get on: This is SO different to previous keyboards!

Chris
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adelphiaUK wrote:
Hi Harry and thanks for the response.

It's not your fault and I find it hard to believe that a company like Korg could leave such a feature out although these days it's quite probable (given I recently spent a considerable amount on a new router which had no settings for IP release timings or for admin login timings. but I diverse).

I do use a computer connected to my i3 so I could look into setting the SYSEx although if I wrote a piece of MIDI music, I would probably set it during initialization although I'd have to remember how I used to do it, given that this is my first keyboard in over 4 years now (maybe even longer - time flies so fast).

Could you not "hook up" to a PC and set your instruments, save them to a USB stick and then load them back in when you want, live? Would that not work; I don't know I'm still learning how to get the rhythm and sounds I want, never had them in banks like this before.

Anyway, I'll continue to tinkle on the old (new) ivories and see how I get on: This is SO different to previous keyboards!

Chris

According to the manual, the i3 will respond to panning messages. It indicates this in the specs, so that is good.

I suspect that if you were running sequences from the computer and using the i3 as the sound module, you could set up sequences, save them to a flash drive and then play them back in the i3. I have not tried this, since I tend to use the board live and not with sequences.

I am not sure that the i3 will load a 'setup' from a flash drive that would have the panning feature because you cannot save custom STS settings on the i3 (another negative point about it, in my opinion).

I suspect that if you add the panning information, via CC, in the beginning of a sequence and play it back, it will respond. I also think that if you had a sequence and the panning was in the middle of a song, it would respond as well. This is assuming that the computer is the device running the sequence.

I wish I had better news and I hope that Korg adds this feature into one of the menus so we can adjust that on the board itself. Some of us do not use computers for our sequencing. I, for one, am firmly planted in the hardware sequencer family and have been for over 30 years Smile

Depending on what sequencing program or DAW you use, I suspect that you would simply add the pan information in the beginning of the sequence (provided that your panning was not to change for the entire song). According to the i3 manual, the Pan is MIDI CC #10 and that corresponds with the MIDI CC listings on different websites.

I would also recommend that if you do change the pan, set it back to normal/center at the end of the sequence, just to make sure that it is not left in the position your CC message set it to if you were to start a new song. It also sounds like you may have to set the Pan at the start of every song... this is normal operation, I believe, anyway...

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg i3 (new - 2020 model) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: