Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Mute" Sending MIDI with the M50

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jcscheper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:37 pm    Post subject: "Mute" Sending MIDI with the M50 Reply with quote

I have created some combi's on the M50 with which I also send MIDI data to my external analog synthesizer. The only thing is that I don't always want to send that data (in the case that I have to play a solo on that combi for example). Is there a way to "mute" the timbre which is sending MIDI data? As it will now always send the data, regardless of whether I use the "mute" or "solo" button.

Also, I have set the Timbre Status to EX2 in order to send the data via MIDI channel 2.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: "Mute" Sending MIDI with the M50 Reply with quote

Jcscheper wrote:
I have created some combi's on the M50 with which I also send MIDI data to my external analog synthesizer. The only thing is that I don't always want to send that data (in the case that I have to play a solo on that combi for example). Is there a way to "mute" the timbre which is sending MIDI data? As it will now always send the data, regardless of whether I use the "mute" or "solo" button.

Also, I have set the Timbre Status to EX2 in order to send the data via MIDI channel 2.

You should be able to set any track to 'INT' and that should stop the MIDI transmission. That should keep the voice for that track local and not send any external MIDI data.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Jcscheper

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply!

For this example combi, I am using two timbres. Timbre 1 has the INT status and Timbre 2 the EXT2. For this combi, I have to stack both timbres so I can hear them at the same time.

Basically, what you suggest is true. However in my case, I still have another Timbre (Timbre 2) which is sending MIDI data.

Would it be possible to pause Timbre 2 from sending MIDI during a song? I had hoped to just use the mute button for it, but that doens't seem to be the solution.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jcscheper wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

For this example combi, I am using two timbres. Timbre 1 has the INT status and Timbre 2 the EXT2. For this combi, I have to stack both timbres so I can hear them at the same time.

Basically, what you suggest is true. However in my case, I still have another Timbre (Timbre 2) which is sending MIDI data.

Would it be possible to pause Timbre 2 from sending MIDI during a song? I had hoped to just use the mute button for it, but that doens't seem to be the solution.

If memory serves, using EXT2 is because you want to send specific bank/program information to an external device. I have rarely used the EXT2 option when sending MIDI. Normally, you just set the receiving track at the same MIDI channel as the M50 (which you already have done).

You can set both tracks to INT and it will stop sending any MIDI data on each timbre that are assigned to the same track.

The M50 is a bit fiddly with activating tracks whilst playing because if you are holding any keys down when doing anything like that, it will not work. Maybe you can create another track in your Combi and have the third track set to 'OFF' until you want to send MIDI data. Then you will need to go into the Track Parameters and physically turn it on again before you play. This will likely will not work very well, but it can be done.

I hope this helps a bit more.

If you want to PM me on your specifics, I would be happy to explore more. I still have an M50 in my studio and use it regaularly, but generally use it for solo voices while my PA700 is playing back sequences.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: