Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

who has midi'ed up the Volca Modular?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 5:20 am    Post subject: who has midi'ed up the Volca Modular? Reply with quote

ok so i got one of these. not very enthusiastic about it, really. i like MIDI.
is it worth putting a MIDI in ? i have an optocoupler here, downloaded instructions. i find it pretty limited, makes ugly noises, sometimes does something good, but overall it's a big distraction and hard to keep track of.
maybe useful for generating samples, so i've just been recording random stuff off it. could be the first volca i sell on.
otzcz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: who has midi'ed up the Volca Modular? Reply with quote

ShoNuff wrote:
ok so i got one of these. not very enthusiastic about it, really. i like MIDI.
is it worth putting a MIDI in ? i have an optocoupler here, downloaded instructions. i find it pretty limited, makes ugly noises, sometimes does something good, but overall it's a big distraction and hard to keep track of.
maybe useful for generating samples, so i've just been recording random stuff off it. could be the first volca i sell on.

Hi Smile

I did, BUT it wasn't so easy as it looks (I had to build my first own circuit - awsum! Very Happy) and I lost my patience few times... So it takes me half of summer, generally Very Happy

Unfortunately, this mod is useful "only" for CCs and tempo / transport, notes AFAIK aren't transmitted or recieved, the sequencer is disconnected from inner MIDI chip, imho (if there any is..).

More info here:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117894&highlight=volca+modular+midi

some pics and vids from myself:))
https://photos.app.goo.gl/mC4G7npWLTYLnNcf6

scheme: https://github.com/sensai7/VolcaModularMidi

..aaaand finally, lot of VERY useful info:
https://hackaday.com/2018/05/09/optocouplers-defending-your-microcontroller-midi-and-a-hot-tip-for-speed/
Digitakt, ER-1, Volca Beats + Bass + Modular, Neutron, k-2, Microfreak, Liven XFM, Beatstep Pro, Keystep, UC-33e, few FX (Zoom G1four, Razzor DD+DS, EHX Platform+HolyStain, Samson C.com), Mackie 1202 VLZ4, pair of RCF AyraPro6
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: who has midi'ed up the Volca Modular? Reply with quote

otzcz wrote:

Unfortunately, this mod is useful "only" for CCs and tempo / transport, notes AFAIK aren't transmitted or recieved, the sequencer is disconnected from inner MIDI chip, imho (if there any is..).

thanks for your reply (ended up in Spam folder for some reason, hence delay in responding)

so no midi note i/O ? that's disappointing Sad
i have a piece of pcb with the optocoupler and circuit that i can copy on vero, if i cannibalize that, should work. but i picked up a Keystep recently, haven't tried it on the vMod yet.
ShoNuff

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

btw, feeling a bit better about it now Wink
nice to have a decent triangle, for a start; and i've got some good stuff out of it. but it isn't an 'everyday' machine. will see how it goes with cv&gate input, once i knock up a cable for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Volca Series All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: