Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Guitar Strum creation Krome Ex

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin Leake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Guitar Strum creation Krome Ex Reply with quote

Hi everyone.
Many songs have at their core a guitar strum. e.g. The Eagles songs. I was going to try my hand at sequencing a well known song "Kiss Me", by a band called Six Pence None the Richer..
The songs core is heavily dependent on a continuous guitar strum. Could anyone suggest how one might go about creating the pattern for this or other Strum dependent songs in my Krome ex.?.
Thanks a million in advance for your suggestions.
Kevin.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Guitar Strum creation Krome Ex Reply with quote

Kevin Leake wrote:
Hi everyone.
Many songs have at their core a guitar strum. e.g. The Eagles songs. I was going to try my hand at sequencing a well known song "Kiss Me", by a band called Six Pence None the Richer..
The songs core is heavily dependent on a continuous guitar strum. Could anyone suggest how one might go about creating the pattern for this or other Strum dependent songs in my Krome ex.?.
Thanks a million in advance for your suggestions.
Kevin.

Depending on the sound that you are using, there may be a program or something that has both upward and downward strums that you could use, but it might be a different sound than an acoustic.

I would imagine that Korg might have included at least one classical guitar, one steel acoustic, and a clean electric guitar sound in the ROM for the Krome that would accomplish that.

I do not not own a Krome, personally, but do have many other Korg synths and most of them feature some kind of program that features some kind of 'strumming' program, based on velocity, or maybe some kind of 'round-robin' sample usage to get something believable...

Additionally, there are many ARPS that are set up for strumming effects. Maybe one of those would work for you.

If there are none in the Krome that suit the strum style of that song, then you may be forced to play it yourself in the sequencer (if that is what you are doing). What you have to do is think like a guitarist somewhat in order to make a strumming sound more believable.

The biggest considerations is that you can pick/strum/play the 'strings' in different ways..

Finger-picking - you are playing each 'string' independently and the velocity switching in the Krome should help make this sound more believable because each string should be played at a somewhat different velocity.

Power Chords - geared more toward rock and metal, but are generally downstroke strums in succession and sound a certain way.

Strumming - this is the upward and downward fanning of the 'strings' . This is a bit harder because the notes played on the keyboard should be not at the same time, but not so loose that they sound unnatural. You also have the string slide sounds and guitar body noises that help with the reality of the strums. You would strum down, fanning the notes just a bit, then strum up and fan the notes again. With more rhythmic strumming (like in the Eagles' songs and in the Kiss Me song) there is rhythm in the strumming that you would need to approximate and depending on the rhythm in the strum (which is pretty easy to hear), you can approximate this in a similar way. Another great example of this would ne in the song 'More Than Words' from Extreme. You have strumming AND guitar body noises in that song and with a bit of practice, you can do that on the keyboard.

My main keyboard for sequencing use and rhythmic guitar things is my PA700 and it has a utility (Guitar Mode) in it that actually does the strumming for you when creating a style. The Krome does not have that feature, to my knowledge. Addiitonally, I cannot use that utility in the sequencer (that I am aware of), so I am still forced to strum on my own. Fortunately, there are sound programs in my PA700 (that also use DNC articulations) that do the 'strums' for me and I just need to add the body noises whilst playing the sound. It is a two-handed affair.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when playing a guitar sound, that you have basically only 6 strings on a standard guitar (not counting the Ukelele and 12-string guitars).

If you are going to sequence the song, I would recommend that maybe you find the SMF online of that song (easily found) and I am fairly certain that it would already have the guitar track programmed for you. If you are looking to play it yourself live from the Krome, then I would practice on 'strumming' according to the strum pattern you hear in the song. I have not tackled that song yet in my sequencer, but have done MANY other songs that feaure guitar strumming and most of them are pretty good. I may give that one a shot and see what results I can get with it.

I hope that this helps a bit. I know that I do not have a Krome, but the strumming stuff is applicable on every keyboard Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC

Last edited by Musicwithharry on Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin Leake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:02 pm    Post subject: Guitar strum Krome Reply with quote

To. Music with Harry. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my question Guitar Strum. Very comprehensive and perfectly explained.
Kevin.
Rohitstad

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Music with Harry, for the extended response! I have been struggling with the same question lately, and now I can see at least a direction I need to work in. I am just a beginner, but I already want to try to choose a song I want to play in the future. This song is November Rain by Guns N’ Roses. This song means a lot to me, and I want to be able to play it myself. I practice every day, but Plectrums still fall from my fingers, and I cannot finish the melody. I feel that I need to practice more, but for how long will I be able to play it ever? Maybe I am just not talented enough?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: