Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper/sustain pedal effect

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Minollus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:51 am    Post subject: Damper/sustain pedal effect Reply with quote

Hi, I recently bought a Korg Krome EX and I am having some difficulties, I guess also because I have always owned Yamaha keyboards. Among the many aspects that still are not clear to me is the use of the damper pedal. I would like to get the same piano damper effect on all the other tones, I mean I would like the volume to gradually fade to silence when pressing the pedal instead of having a continuous sound level, as happens for example when I play synthesizer sounds or strings. Can anybody please tell me if there is any parameter to edit somewhere? Rolling Eyes
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is expected behaviour, since the sustain/damper pedal has the same effect as keeping the keys pressed, even though the keys themselves have been released. The sound from piano Programs decays naturally because the piano samples themselves decay over time. A synth oscillator will continue to sound all the time during key down, so will continue to do so if the key is released whilst the damper pedal is pressed. However, synth sounds can be programmed to decay during the key press/damper pedal down situation by modifying the ADSR (Attack Sustain Decay Release) parameters. This will need to be done for every Program. The ADSR parameters can be found in the Program edit pages, though the Krome EX offers more complexity than simple ADSR. Press Page Select, and tap the screen on P4 Amp/EQ, or press the "4" keyboard button. Tap on the Amp 1 EG tab (if it is a 2 oscillator Program, then the same edits may need to be done with the AMP 2 EG tab also). In the Envelope section, set the Sustain parameter to 0, and vary the Slope setting below and to the left of the Sustain parameter. Observe how the graphical representation changes, and how the sound decays as a key is held down. Check that the same happens when the Damper pedal is depressed. When happy, write your changes using the screen top right drop down menu.

davc

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the above explanation holds true for Yamaha or Korg keyboards .. on my Yamaha keys, the organs , synths , etc will sustain for as long as you hold the sustain pedal down .. maybe think of the pedal more as a ' key hold ' pedal ..

you could ad a Expression pedal to vary the volumes also .!?
Minollus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks a lot for giving me some answers. While this doesn't solve my problem it may somehow help me get a similar type of effect to what I'm looking for. I didn't think I could have this kind of issue when switching to a newer and more advanced instrument than my old keyboard. Anyway, it seems that on the Krome there's is no workaround in order to use the damper/sustain pedal as I do on my Yamaha keyboard. I recorded two samples to better explain what I mean. In both of them in the first part I play without sustain, in the second part I play holding down the sustan pedal (which is practically an on/off switch). Thank you in advance.

https://gofile.io/d/KKaHHC
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What was the "old" Yamaha keyboard that the sustain pedal worked so well on, and what were the names of some of the Voices or Performances being referred to, if you don't mind me asking.

PS The link doesn't work, by the way.

Minollus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old keyboard is a Yamaha PSR-740. I'm posting two shots of the display and the links to the samplke, hoping this time will work.

https://ibb.co/Z6WdkY1

https://ibb.co/SwzwPSM

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=47179829855783874646

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=25157748632704136251
davc

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the decay of any particular sound is either programmed into the sound ,... or it is recorded as part of the sample ...

if you want certain sounds to decay , or fade out , then you can program them to do so ..

has been that way since my first synth back in the 70's ... A D S R ...

it is not the fault of the Sustain pedal ..?! it IS how a certain patch is programmed ...
Lopazasd

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2022 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it with and without reverb enabled? I had such a situation when I raised the reverb to an above-average level. But this isn't a problem. You can unscrew the sound and the reverb by 40% so that the sound gradually decreases when you press the pedal. When buying, there are always downed ADSR parameters installed there, which you should configure based on your goals. I don't know your style, but imitating strings is often too complicated. Actually, I was considering Korg Krome EX among all the gift ideas for guitar players to give to my GF. She is also a musician. But I wonder if she can handle this monster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: