Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue XD vs Prologue- Your Thoughts? (Exhchanging)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
Quote:
Yeah, unforunately, a lot of the gear today does not have a 'soft' MIDI thru option from the MIDI Out port. I had an Alesis that did and it really made things work well.

A MIDI patchbay is really the way to go, because instead of rewiring a synth(s), you flip a switch and change the 'from' signal by that switch.

With all of my mixers and sheer number of synths I have, I have mad to make printouts of all of the mixer assignments. I also have one for the MIDI patchbay so I know what is going on in my studio...

Grace,
Harry

Harry, thanks so much for responding. So, with a patchbay I could route from my M3 to control several modules at once? So, one input with my main controller, several outputs?

Which one do you use?

Thank you again.

With my MIDI patchbay, the JL Cooper Nexus, I have up to 3 inputs and up to 8 outputs. The Nexus is no longer is production. I have owned two of them in total, with the most recent one (I am still using in my studio) being purchased at least 10 years ago. I am not sure that there is a modern equivalent.

What the 3x8 allows me to do is control any of the 8 instruments (plugged into the 8 outputs of the Nexus) by any 1 of 3 inputs to the Nexus.

Last night, while recording into my Tascam DP32, I added some choir tracks from the Korg Kross 88, Korg X5DR, and Alesis QSR. I controlled the two units from the Kross-88. The Kross 88 is one of the devices I have plugged into the 3 Inputs of the Nexus. I flipped a switch and the Alesis and Korg X5DR was able to receive MIDI note information from the Kross-88. It was that simple Smile

With the inclusion of PCs now controlling everything, the need for a stand-alone MIDI Patchbay is pretty well gone. The MIDI THru devices I referenced to in an earlier post will take one MIDI Input signal and control up to however many outputs the MIDI Thru box has.

You could hook up your Korg M3 as the main device, plug it into the Input of a MIDI Thru box, and then go OUT of the Thru box to whatever devices you want to control. If you have more than one controller (likely a computer as well as your M3), then you will need a dedicated patchbay. You can also use a MIDI Merge Box, but the information coming from both at the same time can confused the devices receiving the MIDI signal. I have used them in the past (and still have one), but it was usually because I was running a MIDI file player as well as my synth to control other synth MIDI channels that the MIDI File player was not transmitting on.

If you want to use a PC, it is much easier for many. I prefer to use the hardware solutions, since I still work mainly in that realm.

With my Nexus, I have the following set up:

Input 1 - Korg Kross 88
Input 2 - Ensoniq VFX-SD
Input 3 - Korg Pa700 OR Presonus Audiobox 22VSL (mainly for archiving solo piano sequences I have written, and for running these piano sequences into a notation program for being able ot print out my music for others to play).

Output 1 - Korg M50
Output 2 - MIDI Thru box (a 4-port version of the 8 port one I listed above) for Korg Kross-88, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Ensoniq VFX
Output 3 - Ensoniq VFX-SD
Output 4 - Alesis QSR, Korg X5DR, and Roland D-05 (the Alesis is the main input from the patchbay and then goes into the X5DR and then THRU that one to the D-05)
Output 5 - Open (but used for the Yamaha Reface CP when needed)
Output 6 - Open (but is used for the Korg PA700 when needed)
Output 7 - Open (but used for the Korg Minilogue XD when needed)
Output 8 - Presonus AudioBox 22VSL

It is actually much easier to work with than it looks like above. The hardest is trying to remember who is hooked to what, and that is why I have a sheet with it all typed out.

For my live rig, I have around 6 boards I take and I use a 4-port MIDI THRU box for them. I have another Korg Kross-88 and it controls a Kross-61 (which is used in Odd/Even mode with the Kross 88 to double polyphony and make them both act like one synth), Alesis QS6.2, an Ensoniq SQ1+, and sometimes the Behringer Deepmind-12. I also have the Korg Minilogue, the Yamaha Reface CP and YC. I will play these live without being MIDIfied. When the band starts doing songs that use more Electric piano, I will implement the Reface CP in the MIDI loop. I have a Behringer VC340 Strong Box coming (when Sweetwater gets another shipment in) and I will likely add that to the chain for my string type sounds in the layer.

I also have ANOTHER live rig where I use the Korg PA700, Korg M50 and an Alesis SR16 drum machine. The drum machine MIDIes to the PA700 so I can layer drums between both units. The M50 is played live, usually playing lead guitar sounds that I programmed for solos and such. This rig is for when I perform as a solo act or as a due/trio and I am doing all of the instruments heard through the PA.

I can interchange ANY of these in the studio as listed above, and having the reserve Outputs on the Nexus being purposed for that.

I hope that this helps Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great man!! Super useful. You've got some delicious stuff in that rig of yours. Thank you.

Last night, while recording into my Tascam DP32, I added some choir tracks from the Korg Kross 88, Korg X5DR, and Alesis QSR. I controlled the two units from the Kross-88. The Kross 88 is one of the devices I have plugged into the 3 Inputs of the Nexus. I flipped a switch and the Alesis and Korg X5DR was able to receive MIDI note information from the Kross-88. It was that simple

So, you can 'split' or multiply the signal from your master controller, to trigger multiple sound modules. That's exactly what I want to do.

There are many times when I don't have my synths hooked up to a computer, and just want to practice / tweak. A box like this would be a godsend.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
This is great man!! Super useful. You've got some delicious stuff in that rig of yours. Thank you.

Last night, while recording into my Tascam DP32, I added some choir tracks from the Korg Kross 88, Korg X5DR, and Alesis QSR. I controlled the two units from the Kross-88. The Kross 88 is one of the devices I have plugged into the 3 Inputs of the Nexus. I flipped a switch and the Alesis and Korg X5DR was able to receive MIDI note information from the Kross-88. It was that simple

So, you can 'split' or multiply the signal from your master controller, to trigger multiple sound modules. That's exactly what I want to do.

There are many times when I don't have my synths hooked up to a computer, and just want to practice / tweak. A box like this would be a godsend.

I can conceivably control every synth live from one master controller. This is provided all of the units are operating on the same MIDI channel. If we are talking multi-timbrality, then it is a different situation but fairly equally easy when using a sequencer to do it. If I use the sequencer on the Kross-88 and have the sequence talking on multple-channels, AND sending the tracks externally, then I can talk to any synth that is on a corresponding channel that the Kross-88 is transmitting on.

If I use the Korg PA700 as a controller, then I could talk to external synths on multiple channels, because of how the PA700 is set up as an arranger.

For most situations, people want to layer sounds with the main sound they are playing.

If you consider the M3 you have and how in a Combi, you have multiple sounds playing when you play, you can look at the goings on the Combi and see that multiple tracks are talking on the same MIDI channel. It is the same when using external gear - they are just on the same channel Smile If the external units are multi-timbral, then you can set up 'Combis' on these synths as well and the Kross-88 (or whatever multi-timbral sequencer/etc) will talk to them as well.

If we are talking about the Minilogue or Prologue, they are mono-timbral. They would only talk on one channel. Simply change the channel of the Minilogue to the same channel of the M3, and you are good to go. You can also change the channel of the M3 to be the same as the Minilogue, but I like changing the channels of the slave devices to the same channel as the master controller.

Getting a MIDI Thru box will take care of most of what you want to do. If you want multiple inputs via MIDI, then you will need a MIDI patchbay. At most, you will need to take the MIDI cable from the M3 and hook it into the computer when you want to control the unit(s) from the computer instead of the M3.

Something as small as a 4-port MIDI Thru box may meet your needs. It runs about $50. It is a 1-In/4-Out unit and does not require power. They also have a 1-In/2-Out unit but it is only $10 less than the 4-port unit. Better to get the bigger one because you may expand and get more units Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry, brilliant point about Combination mode!

You know what, I do have a MIDIman Midisport 2x2. It has a thru mode. Ideally, with the M3 patched to In A, I would like to be able to send that out to both Out A, and Out B. It has a MIDI thru button, but I haven't been able to manage that just yet. I wonder if it lets me.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
Harry, brilliant point about Combination mode!

You know what, I do have a MIDIman Midisport 2x2. It has a thru mode. Ideally, with the M3 patched to In A, I would like to be able to send that out to both Out A, and Out B. It has a MIDI thru button, but I haven't been able to manage that just yet. I wonder if it lets me.

I am not familiar with the MIDISport 2x2. I will take a look at it.

One thing about Combi Mode on the Korgs. It is not on every Korg either, at least in sequencer mode. That is one of the problems I have with the PA series. In Style Play Mode, you can layer 3 Upper voices and 1 Lower voice. Even the new i3 (not to be confused with the original i3) has a 3 Upper/1Lower setup.

With the PA series in Sequencer Mode, it is still the traditional '1 one track per MIDI channel' config.

My M50 and Kross (and of course the Kross 2, Krome and Kronos), you can layer multiple tracks to 1 MIDI channel. Your M3 can do it too. This is extremely helpful when wanting to layer multiple tracks with the same sequence data but not wanting to copy all of that data to each track. The PA Series lacks this.

The Alesis can do this as well, at least in my QS series stuff in Multi-Mode. However, my Ensoniqs are one track per MIDI channel.

It makes for an interesting time when trying to tie them all together when arranging a new song across all of the boards. That is also why I have so many keyboards. Many of the boards are a 'one sound per synth' type configuration, so I can maximize the polyphony on the older synths. The best example is with the Ensoniq SQ-R+/32 units I have. I used to have 4 of them, but sold two of them. One of the remaining has a pad I made, and the other one has a sound called 'Mystic'. That are the only sounds these two do. With up to 3 oscillators per sound and only 32-notes of poly, doing more than one sound would cause note dropping.

With my Minilogues, it is the same way. I have my Minilogue XD and XD Module hooked together so they act as one unit for 8-voice poly. Since it is mono-timbral, it sits on one channel (usually the main channel when I am playing live and use them for layering). I could see the exact same situation for the Prologue 8 (more likely the Prologue 16 for me) in my rig if I had the Prologue.

Again, I will take a look at the MIDI Sport 2x2 and see if I can offer any additional information Smile

Grace,
Harry
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you man! Ooh, two Minilogues on one channel must be fat city! ; )

Harry, quick question, I can control the Minilogue XD perfectly well from my M3 keyboard, and of course pitch bend works, but joystick up and down (Y axis) does not work. It works fine on the Minilogue itself, but not from the M3. I wonder why. I assume that's like the modulation wheel, CC 1.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, how do you like the Kronos? I don't use my M3 anymore as a module at all, so I'm ready to trade up to a newer keyboard. I like the idea of the virtual analog modules on the Kronos. But then, if the Kross is about as good, with less features, I would be happy with that.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
By the way, how do you like the Kronos? I don't use my M3 anymore as a module at all, so I'm ready to trade up to a newer keyboard. I like the idea of the virtual analog modules on the Kronos. But then, if the Kross is about as good, with less features, I would be happy with that.

"Harry, quick question, I can control the Minilogue XD perfectly well from my M3 keyboard, and of course pitch bend works, but joystick up and down (Y axis) does not work. It works fine on the Minilogue itself, but not from the M3. I wonder why. I assume that's like the modulation wheel, CC 1."

I am not sure, other than checking the settings for the X,Y axis positioning on the Minilogue. I would also make sure any filtering is not hindering the M3 from transmitting the information that you need.

I do not own the Kronos. I own 4 Kross synths; two 61-key and two 88-key. They are the first generation Kross synths and they work very well for me. The Kronos and Kross are VASTLY different, but I find a lot of success using the Kross boards Smile I program many of my own sounds, so I can usually get what I need.

In reality, I use the PA700 MUCH more than the others, as it is my main board in the studio. My live rig has the Kross units and the others I listed in another post Smile

I find the PA700 VERY usable for everything that I do, pretty much. I like the arranger features because I play at nursing homes for a living (well, I did before COVID closed the homes to people like me...).

I find the PA series very capable, and yes, there are things that I wish it had. I wish that it had KARMA and the ability to layer sequencer tracks on the same MIDI channel. I also wish that I could hook up a touch-screen external monitor to it for better workflow than the 7" screen that it has.

Back to the Kross, it does not have any VA modules in it. It is an entry-level synth with good sounds, but is simply a ROMPler/Synth. I can get some great synth sound out of it. I also get very good pianos from it. People ask me about my piano sounds quite a lot and I tell them that I programmed them. Not a bad deal for 114Mb of RAM built into the unit.

Like I said in an earlier post, I hook up two Kross synths together in Odd/Even Mode so basically both units are acting as one big unit. That gives me up to 160 notes of polyphony for the system. I can layer Combis quite densely and not experience any dropouts in notes. I like that option. I like the action on both of them and they work very well for live work.

There is a lot of horsepower under the hood of those entry level synths, much more than expected for something priced like they are. I hear that the Kross 2 is even better. I have a friend who just bought one and I will be programming it for her. I will be able to report on it after doing so.

I hope my newest novel here helps a bit Smile

Grace,
Harry
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: