Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RPPR as a drum pattern librarian

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 4:11 am    Post subject: RPPR as a drum pattern librarian Reply with quote

I have long considered how to create and organize a library of drum patterns of various styles within my Triton such that I can easily use them in the song production process, similar to what a drum machine or a keyboard arranger can do.

My list of requirements:
1) I can do this with just with my workstation, with no external devices needed (except perhaps a USB flash drive).
2) No nonvolatile internal memory data is modified (no changes to program, combi, or global data).
3) Each pattern is associated with a drum kit program appropriate for that pattern to ensure correct note-to-drum instrument mapping. This is particularly important to distinguish between drum patterns for a general MIDI drumkit versus drum patterns for Korg drumkits, and across Korg drumkits with different instrument-to-key mapping.

What seems to be a good solution is to create a drum pattern library as RPPR user patterns stored in .SNG sequence files, as described in this short video:
https://youtu.be/jUir5oHLwXE

The sources for these drum patterns to be imported into this library could include song template preset drum patterns (PG pp. 91-92), arpeggio drum patterns, and MIDI file drum patterns. This is made possible because RPPR user patterns can be exported to MIDI measures ("Copy to Track"), and RPPR user patterns can be created by importing from MIDI measures ("Get from Track").

We can use the sequencer mode to store RPPR drum patterns in song sequences grouped by style. Each drum pattern library sequence could correspond to a particular style (e.g. DPJAZZ1, DPJAZZ2, DPHOUSE1, etc.). We could have one .SNG file for each style (e.g. DPJAZZ1.SNG, DPJAZZ2.SNG, etc.). Or we could store all of these styles as separate song sequences into a single .SNG file, that being the "master" drum pattern library file (e.g. DP.SNG).

Each drum pattern style could have multiple sets that may be comprised of patterns for Intro, V1, V2, Fill 1, Fill 2, End, etc. Up to 72 RPPR key-to-pattern assignments can be made in a single song sequence. Up to 99 patterns can be stored per song.

You can build up a library of existing drum patterns such that they can be stored, retrieved, auditioned, and recorded into sequencer tracks in a consistent and convenient manner as part of music production. It is applicable to any Korg workstation that implements RPPR.

Any comments or suggestions regarding this approach are welcome.
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For starters, I created an RPPR library comprised of all of the 150 Triton Extreme preset drum patterns (PG pp. 91-92). I grouped them across 3 sequences named Preset A, Preset B, and Preset C, each of which has about 50 drum patterns. I used Mode=Manual and Sync=SEQ. I assigned the drum programs used by RPPR to the higher sequence tracks (10-16). I stored these 3 sequences into one song file DP.SNG.

When I want to create a new song, I first load from media DP.SNG. This only takes up about 5% of sequencer memory. I then go to sequencer mode and preview the drum patterns in each of the sequences A, B, & C by selecting each sequence in turn and pressing keys containing RPPR patterns.

I then copy the preset sequence containing the drum patterns I want to use (A, B, or C) into a new sequence. I then rename that new sequence to the name of the new song I want to work on (e.g. "Jinn Jive 1.0"). Alternatively, you could start from scratch with a new song and use "Copy Pattern" to copy individual patterns you want from one or more source songs to a destination song - you would also need to manually set the destination drum programs/tracks in the new song to the same drum program/track as the source song.

So now I have 4 sequences in memory: Preset A, Preset B, Preset C, and Jinn Jive 1.0. I now save to Media "JJIVE1.SNG". Note that sequences Preset A, Preset B, and Preset C can be removed from JJIVE1.SNG if you want since the drum patterns you want are contained within the sequence "Jinn Jive 1.0".

For me, establishing the "groove" of a song requires that I hear both the bass and the drums together when auditioning different drum patterns. So what I do is I create a loop of about 8 measures of bass and a pad for chord progression. Then I can start playback of that loop, turn on RPPR, and start auditioning different drum patterns.

You can play 1 RPPR key or multiple RPPR keys at a time. By auditioning them you get a feel for which patterns would work well at different times in the song, which combinations of drum patterns worked together, and where the fills in those drum patterns are. Fills are often on the 4th measure of a drum pattern. Some patterns some work well as a fill at their first measure.

When you are ready to record those drum patterns, it's a simple matter of going to Preferences, turning on multi record, click the checkbox for RPPR, and then ensure that the tracks with the drum programs have REC and the others are PLAY. Start recording and play RPPR keys to record actual note data into the drum sequencer tracks.

You might even get all the drum tracks laid down in 1 take, as I did here (in part, a proof-of-concept of the above workflow): https://soundcloud.com/user-353992699/jjivevf8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton Extreme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: