Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad News : Karma software does not work anymore
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
SeedyLee wrote:
I don’t know when it became the expectation that hundreds of thousands of software developers would update their software every six months to meet the whims of operating system developers, but that seems to have unfortunately become the norm.

That has always been the case, since the first computer has been made : the developpers must adapt to the machine, not the reverse !!

My complaint is the way software is marketed. If it says, "Compatible with OS 8.x and later," then it should be. Deciding at some point that it's not worth it after they took my money is on them.
KingKronos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:

Its nothing like the Triton arperggiator and we're over the apologism. You can get close but have to tweak note ranges and stuff. We need a graphic grid and repeatable results every time.

Apologism? We? Rolling Eyes

Once you get the exact results you need, change scenes. Then rinse and repeat. You can have up to 8 repeatable results at will.

If you need more, I'm sure there is an app for that.
LivePsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, the predictable trolling.

KingKronos wrote:
LivePsy wrote:

Its nothing like the Triton arperggiator and we're over the apologism. You can get close but have to tweak note ranges and stuff. We need a graphic grid and repeatable results every time.

Once you get the exact results you need, change scenes. Then rinse and repeat. You can have up to 8 repeatable results at will.

KingKronos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivePsy wrote:
Of course, the predictable trolling.

KingKronos wrote:
LivePsy wrote:

Sad. I try to offer solutions, and I get called a troll.

Well at least we can add some drama here, right? Anything else you want to add, hypocrite?
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
I watched some of Charles Ferraro's tutorials on KARMA. Looks to me even more complicated than figuring out KARMA onboard. I'd rather experiment with things on the Kronos since I don't use a computer for music anyway.

In that series I'm using the KARMA software, but pretty much every function I cover is on the Kronos itself. I could've done that series with the standalone editor (the one I use for the FX series) and it would've come out the same. Heck I probably should do that as a refresher and to cover things I did a bad job on the first time around.
kronosflyby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: KARMA ? Reply with quote

KARMA is not for 3 week old rabbits ...
That's all ...

Laughing

Try my tool :

https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com Very Happy
nambuco67

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingKronos wrote:
There's also the option of spinning up a virtual machine with the OS you need.

Chances are, if you're one of the few brave enough to tackle the complex and cryptic software that is KARMA, then you likely already know how to spin up a VM as needed.

That's the solution !

For mac users, this guy developed nice script to make it easier:

https://github.com/AlexanderWillner/runMacOSinVirtualBox
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to keep up with Microsoft and Apple's OS changes, chip changes and architecture changes just becomes a losing battle.

KARMA software began development over 20 years ago and lasted over Mac Os8, Os9, Mac OS X 10.0 through 10.15; Windows 95, 2000, 98, XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10 v1909. It finally can not be resuscitated any longer.

For over a year now I have been working on a compete rewrite of the KARMA software using a modern 64-bit cross-platform framework, and the resulting software should be not only standalone, but a plug-in, on both Windows and Mac. Still a long way to go, however...

LivePsy wrote:
It can't have been hard to keep the old arpeggiator and I believe Kaye required Korg to remove it. What we got isn't an arpeggiator.

You know nothing, but go ahead - speculate away.

In the meantime, get a Nautilus and be done with it. Sounds like it's much more up your alley.

danmusician wrote:
My complaint is the way software is marketed. If it says, "Compatible with OS 8.x and later," then it should be. Deciding at some point that it's not worth it after they took my money is on them.

Where on the website does it not say that it is only compatible up to 10.15? Nowhere that I know of. If you mean "it specified 10.8 and later" when you bought it, how could I possibly know at any point when Apple or Microsoft would make it impossible to continue? You are saying that implies that it will work for the rest of your life?

kronoskarma

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stephen,

Good to hear you are going to keep the Karma software alive. I JUST bought a Kronos and plan on buying all your combis and Karma software for it.

I will continue to support your amazing talents far into the future, wherever that may lead.

Mike
Yamaha Tyros 5
Arturia MicroFreak
M-Audio Oxygen 61
Akai Force
Roland MC-707
1010music Black Box
Zoom Arq 48

Last edited by kronoskarma on Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
kronosflyby

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is clear that Karma is incomparable, there is nothing more powerful, you still have to take the time to take a little interest in it...

Many thanks to Stephen Kay

Cool Cool

Try my tool :

https://kronosflyby.myweb2be.com Very Happy
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to apologize to Stephen KAY.

Indeed, I've opened this thread which finally looks like grievance. Yet, it was not my intention. I'm respectfull of all these people, as Stephen who are working hard and are so creative.

I said I hoped for an update, but now, I fully understand how hard it would be, without been sure Microsoft won't force a new Windows update which won't work with Karma.

So, thank you Stephen for all you did !!
danmusician
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
danmusician wrote:

Where on the website does it not say that it is only compatible up to 10.15? Nowhere that I know of. If you mean "it specified 10.8 and later" when you bought it, how could I possibly know at any point when Apple or Microsoft would make it impossible to continue? You are saying that implies that it will work for the rest of your life?

Hey Stephen, I completely respect your work and my comment was not directed at you, but at the industry in general.

My point is that software should NOT be marketed as 8.X or later unless the plan is to support it forever. Rather, it should list what it is compatible with.
Goldcrest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both the KARMA Kronos app and the KARMA M3 app working using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit version 20H2. The applications start, communicate with the devices and KARMA parameters can be edited.

I don't know whether this is because Microsoft have fixed something in an update - or perhaps there is something that is specific to this PC that allows the apps to work.
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting good support from Apple or Microsoft is a jungle right now if it's specific, Especially now they go totally different directions Apple M1 , Microsoft own binaries, and future chip development. Have not touched code in a long while now. But wow Karma twenty years now that should be celebrated not.

And dang hearing Steven says he working on new Karma software and VST making music everywhere with my favorite combo is all I ask for, Lately, Got myself into arpeggiation of all types lately reimagining grooves gotta stay inspired during this pandemic time you know. Last week for the first time somebody ask when I'm gonna play again (man that got me).

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
Peas&Carrots

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
For over a year now I have been working on a compete rewrite of the KARMA software using a modern 64-bit cross-platform framework, and the resulting software should be not only standalone, but a plug-in, on both Windows and Mac. Still a long way to go, however...

BOOM! Sign me up for that! Kronos and I have recently parted company but I'd be VERY interested in the software if it is standalone?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: