Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading Custom Sounds into Triton AGAIN - Pleas help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nuke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Loading Custom Sounds into Triton AGAIN - Pleas help Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Now I know this topic has been beaten to death on this forum, but I am still somewhat confused after reading all of the posts.

1. I'd like to load a few new vocal sounds and effects into my Triton.

2. I assume that most likely these sounds will be in a .PCG or KSG files. What is the difference?

3. I understand that I need to install some RAM into my triton in order to use any .PCG etc. files I download.

4.Once RAM is installed I can LOAD these new souns using an SD card in MEDIA Mode.

5. These sounds will not be able to be saved into the Triton and will require to be LOADED from my SD card everytime I need to used them.

Am I getting the right idea here?

Thank you.
kanthos
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2) PCG = Programs, Combis, and Global settings. Not samples

3) No, you need RAM to use samples. PCGs can be loaded from whatever media is appropriate (the TR uses an SD card; not sure what the Triton uses) directly into the Triton.

4) Yes

5) Yes
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, you have half the right idea Wink

you just have to separate out in your head the difference between programs and samples. None of this fuzzy 'sounds' business which is applying a general term to something a bit more complicated, making it more difficult for you to communicate what you want to do and what someone else might tell you to do in order to help you.

Programs (sometimes also called patches, after ancient modular systems way of programming before digital patch recall) are the collections of settings that make up most of the 'sounds' in your PROG banks on the triton. A program consists of up to two sample-playing-oscillators (sound sources), two filters, two amp sections four LFOs, five EGs, and various other bits...
if you're not programming your own programs then you don't need to worry about all those little bits. but the important point to remember is that its all just numbers. most of the numbers are parameter values for something straightforward such as volume/level, pan, filter cutoff, effect parameters, etc. but they lay out all of the settings that the synthesizer needs in order to reproduce a sound. in that way it is no different to a virtual analog synthesizer or any other synthesizer.
but there are some parameters for the oscillators (sound sources), which really define the sound. except they don't they are just index pointers, that say something like 'use sample x'.

Samples are recordings of real instruments. they often also have some 'settings' embedded in them such as the loop points, playback level adjustment, original recorded note value, etc. but you can't edit that without special software or the sampling expansion board.
but the point is that the oscillators in any factory preload program always point to a location in ROM - that is the samples that you can not edit, remove, or otherwise access that are permanently on your triton. any program can use these. if you make your own program you can tell it to use one or two of the string samples, bass samples, synth loops, single cycle waveform samples, etc... for example I can make a sawtooth patch by editing a new program and setting the oscillator 1 to point to/use a sawtooth sample.
Its actually a bit more complicated in the korg keyboards because there is this intermediate step called 'multisamples', which are actually what you tell the oscillators to use. They just reference/point to a number of samples and say which keys use which samples. Its a keymap file. also, when you load that file, it automatically loads all the associated samples for you Smile

So, Programs come in PCG (Program, Combination, Global). As do Combis and sometimes global settings.

Samples come in KSF (Korg Sample Format) files, but you never need to load them as they will be loaded when you open the corresponding KMP (Keymap) file.

Often there will also be a KSC (Korg Script) file which loads the files mentioned above and associates them correctly by updating the sample parameter for the oscillators. I rarely use these.

There are many PCGs out there that don't need extra samples because they use the factory ROM samples - this isn't limiting because there are so many of them and the synth architecture is so flexible that there are many possibilities to be squeezed out of the synth without adding new samples.

there is one main issue with this architecture in general but not a major design flaw, as much as a limitation of technology in general:
user samples have to be loaded from SD every time you turn on.

This is because samples are loaded into fast access RAM. if they were on a hard disk or on the SD card, the synth wouldn't be able to access them fast enough and the playback would be choppy, or just plain wouldn't work, so its not even an option - it has to be loaded into RAM.
Just like on a computer, when you open an application, its instruction code and all the variable parameters and data that are used when it is run are transfered from the hard disk to RAM where the processor has easy, fast access to them.

Programs and Combinations don't need to be loaded into RAM because they are loaded from the synth's internal storage whenever you select that program. But there are a limited number of internal storage slots. each one has a bank letter and number - going from A to D, 0 to 127.
so when you load new programs they have to go into one of those slots, and they will overwrite what is already in there.

of course this brings up a problem because if you load your samples in a different order the next time you boot, your nice multisampled bass program might be pointing to multisample slot #4 but you now have a tuba sample in that slot...
of course, the solution to this is that once you have all your samples loaded and working, you go to media mode and save all sampling data. this will create a new KSC file that you just need to load each time you turn on, and it will contain a copy of your current working state of RAM (well, actually there will be a folder of the same name full of KMP and KSFs, but if you load that KSC they will be all in the same order they were when you last saved)

Because samples are not a fixed data size like programs are (there are always the same number of parameters in a program, whereas a sample can be any length), sample 'slots' aren't limited like Program and Combi slots. there is an upper addressing limit, but for example you could fill the entire RAM with a single sample at #1 is you wanted to, and the rest of the numbers would be useless.
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
X-Trade

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was that long

for the record, I actually started typing before Kanthos had even posted... Rolling Eyes
Software: NI Komplete 10 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, Ableton Live 9. Apple OSX El Capitan on 15" MacBook Pro
nuke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: good Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the clarifications.

So now I have some PCG's on my SD card that I would like to use.

What now?
hcv2424

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello all. Im thinking about buying a triton rack. For what i've read in this thread user samples can not be stored on the tritons ram and have to be loaded everytime you start the machine. my question is the following:

will this samples load automatically when i start the machine or do i have to go through some menus and load the programs?

how long does it take to load 64mb os samples?

do the the loaded programs \ samples respond to program change? is thre a chance that things get screwd up and when i do a program change, the wrong program is loaded?

most pictures i see on the web show a floppy drive, i see people talking about smart media cards, does the rack also have one of this ports?

if i have a EXB-SCSI , can i ditch my floppy drive?

thanks in advance for any replies Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Triton LE / Korg TR All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: