Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos not responding to damper, foot pedal or switch.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Kronos not responding to damper, foot pedal or switch. Reply with quote

After five years of perfect service in my lightly used studio my Kronos 2 88 suddenly stopped responding to all three pedal inputs. What sets this aside from the other topics I have found on this forum is that I am getting no response at all from Kronos, regardless the polarity settings in Global. I also tried other pedals and booting with the pedal depressed. I also tested with no MIDI cables or USB attached, but no success. I am hoping that I have inadvertently changed a setting or MIDI filter somewhere. I am looking for suggestions other than “Send it back to Korg.” Of course, I would greatly appreciate any helpful knowledge you can share. Thank you.
Korg Kronos 2 88; Korg Kronos 2 61; Korg Krome 61; Korg Triton Extreme 61; Korg CX3 (MIDI); Behringer DeepMind 12; studiologic MP113; neo Ventilator II; Arturia Keylab 88; novation ReMOTE SL 61; Cakewalk by Bandlab; Logic Pro X; EWQL Hollywood Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion (Diamond)
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack, sounds like a nasty problem.

The fix might be simple and quick.

We have to review your K2 settings and know the exact pedals used.

1)Go to Global mode/controllers scales

2] you will see 4 options for foot pedal and polarity.

3] explain exactly what your K2 shows for all 4

4] if you want to jump ahead of diagnosis, there is a 5th option titled " Foot Pedal Behavior ". This drop down menu has a reset option.

I am guessing but the reset option might clear a bunch of midi confusion on pedals used on your K2.

5] Lets assume you skip the reset option on #4.

6] what exact sustain/damper pedal is used ? where is it plugged in ?

7] test that damper pedal for a acoustic piano Program. Lets keep the test simple as its a good start to solve only 1 pedal assignment at a time.
Keep your other pedals unplugged at this time.
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.
• foot switch is assigned to Sostenuto
• foot pedal is assigned to volume
• damper polarity is (-) KORG Standard
• foot switch polarity is (-) KORG Standard
• foot pedal behavior is Keep Current
Please note that I have tested every permutation of these settings.
I have also tested the pedals in my Korg Krome. The pedals still work fine in the Krome.
Both piano style pedals are the Roland model with the rubber heel support.
The expression pedal is the Yamaha FC7.
Again, all pedals just tested fine on my Krome.
If I left out critical info, please let me know.
Korg Kronos 2 88; Korg Kronos 2 61; Korg Krome 61; Korg Triton Extreme 61; Korg CX3 (MIDI); Behringer DeepMind 12; studiologic MP113; neo Ventilator II; Arturia Keylab 88; novation ReMOTE SL 61; Cakewalk by Bandlab; Logic Pro X; EWQL Hollywood Strings, Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion (Diamond)
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pedals were tested one at a time with piano, bass, and fast
synth.
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the option of resetting the foot pedal.
It did nothing different for the problem.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowFingersJack wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
• foot switch is assigned to Sostenuto
• foot pedal is assigned to volume
• damper polarity is (-) KORG Standard
• foot switch polarity is (-) KORG Standard
• foot pedal behavior is Keep Current
Please note that I have tested every permutation of these settings.
I have also tested the pedals in my Korg Krome. The pedals still work fine in the Krome.
Both piano style pedals are the Roland model with the rubber heel support.
The expression pedal is the Yamaha FC7.
Again, all pedals just tested fine on my Krome.
If I left out critical info, please let me know.

I hear you. I can't replicate the problem since I use the standard Korg Sustain DS1H. And a standard Hosa switch pedal . no Krome experience here.

I don't see where you plugged on what pedals to what inputs . The mix up could be there.

I now this is frustrating, but I recommend solving 1 pedal , like sustain, step by step and testing it against a Program.

IMO, I don't believe all the internal pedal jack connections in your K went Lights Out at the same time.

Hang around for a few days and other K owners will chime in to the issue[s]
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg.
All of my testing was done one pedal at a time with the others unplugged.
Sustain plugged into “damper.”
Sostenuto plugged into “switch.”
Volume/expression plugged into “pedal.”
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowFingersJack wrote:
Thanks Greg.

Very good, I think this thoroughness will help solve the puzzle.

I think you should persist for a few days, wait for other K owners to check your settings with those pedals
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Greg.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Here is what I would do next if I had the same problem :

1) Download and install the MIDI-OX freeware on your computer.

2) Then connect your Kronos to your computer either via USB-MIDI or with a DIN cable from the Kronos MIDI OUT to the MIDI IN port of your computer interface (if equipped).

3) Once the MIDI-OX MIDI options are correctly set, the freeware console will show you everything that is going on when you push/play keys or the different pedals. Check if sustain pedal sends the correct MIDI CC (64 in decimal or 40 in hex), same with what you assigned in Global mode for the two other pedals. If nothing happens, test another keyboard in case the freeware setup is not correct. If you receive nothing from the Kronos but all is fine with another keyboard, you have an internal problem. If so, I will send you another test to do if your unit is not under warranty anymore and if you feel at ease with opening your Kronos and have experience handling sensitive electronic circuits.
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KK. I have an extra computer in the studio with MIDI-OX on it. I will perform the test when I get back to the studio. It occurs to me that I might get the same results by recording in Cakewalk and checking the MIDI event list. Maybe not. I will do both and compare. I won’t be able to do this until tomorrow. Thanks again.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SlowFingersJack wrote:
Thanks KK. I have an extra computer in the studio with MIDI-OX on it. I will perform the test when I get back to the studio. It occurs to me that I might get the same results by recording in Cakewalk and checking the MIDI event list. Maybe not. I will do both and compare. I won’t be able to do this until tomorrow. Thanks again.

Hi there,

Sure, you could use another software to check if you have one. I like MIDI-OX as it shows everything in detail and you can switch the monitor in decimal or hex, etc. Make sure there are no filters active for CCs to see everything. MIDI filter for system realtime is OK though for timing clock and active sensing. Read you later when you have some results. Cool
KingKronos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible to duplicate your issue if MIDI is set to Local Off in global mode. Meaning, an external controller can play the Kronos notes but the pedals don't work.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, excellent point by KingKronos. Idea Kronos keys must make sound as well when played and transmit MIDI. That would be an easy fix !
SlowFingersJack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not good.
Note on and note off show on MIDI-OX Input monitor just as I hear them from Kronos.
No pedal info appears on MIDI-OX Input monitor, and Kronos audio does not hold notes with the pedal.
Sending CC64 message on all channels from MIDI-OX Control Panel displays properly in MIDI-OX Output Monitor but does not cause Kronos audio to sustain and does not show up on MIDI-OX input monitor.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: