Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Damper pedal doesn't work

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flabis66

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Damper pedal doesn't work Reply with quote

It's probably not the right section, but i didn't find in which section I can post my problem.

I have a Damper pedal Korg DS-1H connected to my Kronos 2 88.
Sometimes i have to reboot the Kronos before the pedal is working, but since yesterday, it's also happening when i play, suddenly the pedal doesn't work anymore and after a few pushes, it works again but don't detect the release and the sound continues, even if i change the program or combi.
Same problem with factory programs.
I've checked the global setting and the polarity, but nothing change.
Did I miss something or my pedal is really defect?

Firmware and software are both up to date, nothing else is connected to the Kronos (just headphones)
Speakers: M-Audio BX5
Headphones: Sennheizer ATH-M50x, AKG K712pro, AKG K240
Computer: MacBook Air M1
Stand: K&M 18810
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the observations given, it seems likely that the pedal or lead has a fault. Have you tried removing and reinserting the pedal plug a few times, to clean the plug contacts.

If you have a multimeter, the pedal can be tested by measuring the resistance between the tip and sleeve of the pedal's jack plug. The resistance should be low (few kilohms) when the pedal is pushed down fully, and high (maybe 30kilohms when in the up position). The ring connection, if there is one on the plug, is not used by the Kronos.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
From the observations given, it seems likely that the pedal or lead has a fault. Have you tried removing and reinserting the pedal plug a few times, to clean the plug contacts.

If you have a multimeter, the pedal can be tested by measuring the resistance between the tip and sleeve of the pedal's jack plug. The resistance should be low (few kilohms) when the pedal is pushed down fully, and high (maybe 30kilohms when in the up position). The ring connection, if there is one on the plug, is not used by the Kronos.

I agree, it’s likely the pedal. I just replaced one that operated intermittently. Try another one if that’s possible.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Damper pedal doesn't work Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
It's probably not the right section, but i didn't find in which section I can post my problem.

I have a Damper pedal Korg DS-1H connected to my Kronos 2 88.
Sometimes i have to reboot the Kronos before the pedal is working, but since yesterday, it's also happening when i play, suddenly the pedal doesn't work anymore and after a few pushes, it works again but don't detect the release and the sound continues, even if i change the program or combi.
Same problem with factory programs.
I've checked the global setting and the polarity, but nothing change.
Did I miss something or my pedal is really defect?

Firmware and software are both up to date, nothing else is connected to the Kronos (just headphones)

You didn't say how old or new the pedal is.

It should be flawless . My Korg damper has worked perfect for 8 yrs.

Lets say its 90 days old- I would return it for another new pedal.
Flabis66

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, i'll test that.

I just tested another pedal, an MGear and for now, it works fine. So the pedal is faulty. I bought it in last october, does Korg make RMA? Or should i send it back to Thomann?
Speakers: M-Audio BX5
Headphones: Sennheizer ATH-M50x, AKG K712pro, AKG K240
Computer: MacBook Air M1
Stand: K&M 18810
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flabis66 wrote:
Thanks, i'll test that.

I just tested another pedal, an MGear and for now, it works fine. So the pedal is faulty. I bought it in last october, does Korg make RMA? Or should i send it back to Thomann?

if you bought it from Thomann, thats your 1st return stop/exchange.
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody encounter similar problem with Korg pedal DS-1H, try the trick I did.

Measure with ohm-meter between TIP and SLEEVE. If the readout is always twitching, in both released and pressed position, most probably you have the same issue as I did. I guess this pot is too cheap to be true and it is losing the inner brush contact. The Kronos can’t handle this and can’t calibrate the damper pedal (“can’t calibrate” message, after you press "Done" in Half Damper calibration).

My remedy:
Open the pedal (unscrew all screws at the bottom plate) and spray generously the blue pot with CRC KONTAKT 61 spray (or similar), while constantly squeezing the pedal for better penetration.

After refreshing the pot this way, the twitching of ohm-meter stopped and calibration went successful immediately.

I hope that could help someone.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you calibrate the pedal? It is a half damper and this has to be done, and you have to write the Global setting. You are plugged into the "Damper" jack, correct? Also for most patches other than pianos, it acts as a "sustain" pedal. It holds the sound at the sustain portion of its envelope, it doesn't go to the "release" segment.
LaLaLand

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaLaLand wrote:
If anybody encounter similar problem with Korg pedal DS-1H, try the trick I did.

Measure with ohm-meter between TIP and SLEEVE. If the readout is always twitching, in both released and pressed position, most probably you have the same issue as I did. I guess this pot is too cheap to be true and it is losing the inner brush contact. The Kronos can’t handle this and can’t calibrate the damper pedal (“can’t calibrate” message, after you press "Done" in Half Damper calibration).

My remedy:
Open the pedal (unscrew all screws at the bottom plate) and spray generously the blue pot with CRC KONTAKT 61 spray (or similar), while constantly squeezing the pedal for better penetration.

After refreshing the pot this way, the twitching of ohm-meter stopped and calibration went successful immediately.

I hope that could help someone.

Sorry, but this “spraying trick” didn't work. After few days it was even worse. The values were not only twitching but they increase by double. So I did what I was avoiding from the beginning. I disassembled this poor tiny ALPS pot. Cleaned all with Kontakt spray. Refreshed the tension of the brushes. Lubricate with Kontakt spray. Assembled back. Now it works better than new. But it was new, I used it for 20 hours max! What a shame.

Btw, if someone decides to follow my example, be aware that this is not a standard pot. It works in 45deg only, although it rotates in full circle (270deg), everything else is zero. Maybe a standard 100k/log (270deg) would work similar, to achieve 45deg from 22.5k to 1.5k, I don’t know. The point is -take care of this unique pot, be careful.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:

Actually, if there is ring portion on the plug, then it is used by the half damper function. I believe the pedal referenced by the OP is Korg's half damper.
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ronnfigg wrote: Did you calibrate the pedal? It is a half damper and this has to be done, and you have to write the Global setting.

I cant find any option to calibrate the pedal? Its not in the global settings.

Best!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

The half-damping calibration should be in the top right menu in Global mode. Note that other pedals than the recommended Korg DS-1H might not give a good half-damping/sustain effect.
Hyper_LFO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi KK,

thank you, I have found it.

Unfortunately Korg put the Calibration Option not in the register of the controller options in global mode.

Best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: