Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS-20 Mini's USB-MIDI does not work and show up in Cubase

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypsilonib

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: MS-20 Mini's USB-MIDI does not work and show up in Cubase Reply with quote

Hi, I bought a new MS-20 Mini from a store today. I installed the latest KORG USB-MIDI Driver without any problems. Driver version: 1.15 r41.

The problem is that the MS-20 Mini does not show up in Cubase in the 'Output Routing' of a midi track. I also have Moog Subsequent 37 CV and Behringer TD-3 connected to my computer via USB and they show up in Cubase and work fine.

The 'MIDI port' of the MS-20 Mini does work. I have an M-Audio Midisport 2x2 and when connected through it the MS-20 Mini's 'Midi port' works. I can play the MS-20 Mini with my midi keys and Cubase also plays the notes without any problems. But for that, I have to unplug another instrument I own from the Midisport 2x2 and I don’t want to do that because then I would have to buy a new midibox. So I would like to make the MS-20 Mini's _USB_ midi work as it should, so I wouldn't have to spend money on a new midi device.

I tried to reinstall KORG's 'USB-MIDI' Driver a couple of times and also tried different USB ports on my computer, but those steps didn't help with this problem.

I would have liked to try older drivers from KORG, but the older drivers on the KORG website apparently can't be downloaded --> I tried to click on some older driver, but then the page just jumped back to the latest driver.

Could anyone tell me what could be wrong here and give some sort of solution, please?

My Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
synthpeter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that controlling the MS-20 directly from the computer doesn't work, did you wait for the MS-20 driver itself to install? This takes a while when the MS-20 is connected to the computer, you can check progress in the system tray (which you can find at the bottom right of the screen). For my Monologue, that took 10 minutes..
Cypsilonib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course I always wait until the end when I install something. I never do anything else at the same time and I don't have any programs open .. not even a browser.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Did you try with MS20-mini connected the "Install Korg USB-MIDI device"? It is utility that comes with the installation of the USB driver.

Next to that, apparently in order to have the Korg USB-MIDI to work properly, the device must be installed as 1 of the first 10 midi devices. That fact that you have a Moog and Behringer connected as well may mean that the first 10 locations are already in use. (And using different USB ports adds devices...) You can use for that purpose the Korg USB-MIDI device uninstaller and see on which position your MS20-mini ended. Uninstalling devices and reinstalling may help.

Here are some links:

https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2019/04/23/fixing-korg-usb-midi-driver-issues-in-windows-10-may-2019-update/
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117638&highlight=midi+driver+uninstall

Good luck
Cypsilonib

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,
Next to that, apparently in order to have the Korg USB-MIDI to work properly, the device must be installed as 1 of the first 10 midi devices. That fact that you have a Moog and Behringer connected as well may mean that the first 10 locations are already in use. (And using different USB ports adds devices...) You can use for that purpose the Korg USB-MIDI device uninstaller and see on which position your MS20-mini ended. Uninstalling devices and reinstalling may help.
Good luck

Yes! This was it! Now I got it to show up in Cubase (by USB) and it works! My MS-20 Mini was 14th midi device on the list when I checked it with 'Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device' -program. First I unistalled some of my gear with Windows 'Uninstall a program' function. And then I used the 'Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device' to uninstall some more devices that seemed like duplicates and were not listed in Windows Programs (Unistall a programs). There were duplicates from Moogs drivers and some other. Then I uninstalled and reinstalled the KORG USB-MIDI Device first... and after that I installed back all the other gear I had removed. Now my MS-20 Mini is in first position --> "midi1: KORG MS-20 Mini" and it works! Smile

Now I wonder how could I find out what are some of the entries that 'Uninstall KORG USB-MIDI Device' is still showing like --->

"midi2: USB Audio Device"
"midi4: USB Audio Device"
"midi5: USB Audio Device"
"midi7: USB Audio Device"
"midi8: USB Audio Device"

?

I'm tempted just to remove also those because I have had some problems with my Moog Subsequent 37 CV and it's now in position 10 on that list... and M-Audios Midisport is on position 11. I wonder if it would be good if those were also in positions under 10?

Thank you veeeery much for your advices OpAmp!
DaniH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

Did you try with MS20-mini connected the "Install Korg USB-MIDI device"? It is utility that comes with the installation of the USB driver.

Here are some links:

https://thedigitallifestyle.com/w/index.php/2019/04/23/fixing-korg-usb-midi-driver-issues-in-windows-10-may-2019-update/
http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117638&highlight=midi+driver+uninstall

Good luck

THANK YOU!!! This saved my R3. Saw your post in there, and followed here. I had no idea Korg needed to be in 1-9 for midi.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG MS20 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: