Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kontrol 49 button issue

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ptrw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 pm    Post subject: Korg Kontrol 49 button issue Reply with quote

Hello,

I recently bought a Kontrol 49 2nd hand, and altough the keyboard is spotless, I have several keys that dont work, and they are all 2 octives apart. Really sounds like a software glitch to me, so I thought a factory reset might fix it altough I cant find where to factory reset. Many people say it's page 54 of the manual but I cant see anything about factory resetting it there (http://i.korg.com/uploads/Support/KONTROL49_Manual_633670144972120000.pdf)

I'm new to MIDI controllers so I might just be doing something really stupid...

I'm running Windows 10 64bit and have tried powering it via both usb and with the plug, neither works. My DAW is Reaper.

Can anyone help?
Thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check that the controller is not in Native Mode. It can be switched back to Normal Mode by powering up the controller and pressing the [SETTING] key, [MESSAGE] key, and [SCENE] key, and then pressing the [EXIT] key.

The only way to "factory reset" the unit, is to update, or basically reload the firmware. The System Updater software packages, together with the updating instructions, can be found using the link below. Note that Windows XP is the preferred OS in a Windows type environment, and it may not work in Win10. Note also that, if the firmware in the Kontrol49, as detected by the updater, is reported to be the same version as the update, then this method will not work. If the firmware is unreadable because of firmware corruption, then there is a chance that this method will work, but no guarantees.

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/product/1/128/

The factory scene preload can be performed as detailed in the manual page 54, but this is unlikely to be the solution, though there should be no harm in trying.

Another thing to try is to install the Kontrol49 editor librarian, and use that to see if there have been any strange assignments made in the Kontrol49's configuration.

Also, try something like MIDI-Ox to sniff the MIDI messages, to see if the non-working keys are actually working, but generating generating CC# messages rather than NoteOn/Off messages. In fact this might actually be one of the first things to consider trying.

If none of the above results in any improvement then conside this:

The Kontrol 49 keyboard key presses are detected using a keybed scanning method that is basically a 2-D array, with octaves on one "side" of the array, and keys 1-12 (C,C#,D...A#,B,C) on the other orthogonal "side". This requires fewer wires, or circuit tracks (17 instead of the 49 that would be required if there was one wire per key, or actually 22 instead of 98 wires, since velocity sensing requires an additional contact per key, and is commonly used in keyboard gear, including for the sensing of button presses. If one or two of the octaves are dead, that would suggest a break in one or two of the octave lines. If the same keys were affected in every octave, that would suggest that the corresponding key lines are dead. In your case it is neither of these, since all of the keys in the in-between octaves are OK, so the issue is elsewhere. However, it is still worth checking inside for bad connections - basically cable wiggling, especially around the printed circuit board area concerned with the keys, and also checking for bad key contacts. If you're not familiar with this kind of work, ask an electronics technician, especially one familiar with keyboard repair, to have a look.

ptrw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for you fast reply!

I've tried everything you suggested, and unfortunately it is still not working. I took the keyboard apart and unplugged and reinserted all the ribbon cables I could see but that didnt change anything. Interestingly, I have downloaded MIDI-Ox and the keys are not outputting any signal. Would this suggest that the buttons are actually broken?

Many thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be that the key contacts have failed. It may be possible to replace them, but I have no info on the exact part number. The keybed appears to be the same as that used for the RDKB keyboard unit for the Korg Radias synth.

Cone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there, I'm also having the same/similar problem. My KONTROL49 has dead keyboard keys in a repeating pattern: G1, D#2, B2, G3, D#4, B4. So it's every 8th key of the board.

Also, the rotary encoder #6 acts crazy: when you turn it, it send a series of Note On / Note Off messages, some of which correspond to the keys one below the dead ones (D2, A#2, F#3, D4, A#4, D0, A#0, F#1). Also, turning this encoder flashes all the LCD displays green on every "tick" of the rotary (except for the main display above the tempo controls).

I also bought this unit second hand—I've had a microKONTROL since 2004, but always wanted a KONTROL49 because it has dedicated pitch bend and mod wheel, and also a spring-less joystick, so it would be great for controlling the KORG Triton-Rack and Wavestation A/D.

This unit has the latest (last) firmware installed by the previous owner. I think I found an earlier version, but the installer sees that the unit has a newer one, and won't reinstall it.

As suggested, I have opened and dismantled the unit twice, reseated all the ribbon connectors and examined the keyboard assembly, but I can see no visible damage. There was a theory by someone that the latest firmware makes the unit "too sensitive" (or something like that) for hardware issues, but I don't know if that makes sense.

I would really like to get this unit to work reliably, but at this point I have already spent a little too many hours on it... However, since I saw the very recent message by ptrw, I thought I'd check in to stir some interest, and possibly find a solution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: