Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg M50 Samples = Korg PS60 Samples?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MinorKey

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Korg M50 Samples = Korg PS60 Samples? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I have a very simple question. Does anybody know if the PS60 uses the same samples as the M50?
My guess would be 'yes', because both use the EDS-I engine. However, I might be wrong. I watched some Youtube videos, but wasn't able to decide based on what I heard.

Thanks for the response!
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you download both the manuals from the Korg website, they each list all their similar and different waveforms.

I did just that over 2 years ago when I was comparing the PS60 to the Microstation, and as I recall there were a few differences in the names of the waveforms. I wish I could remember what I discovered at that time, but I think if you do a bit of surfing on the Korg site you should find what info you need.

They sound remarkably similar, although I think the Microstation has less stereo samples that the PS 60 (and the M50)...
conundrum

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood the samples in the ps60 and microstation to be a subset of those in the m50/m3. Based on the price difference, that makes sense.
iluvchiclets

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi conundrum,

You are correct - the M50 and Microstation come from the same lineage, if that is the appropriate word to use...

However, there are differences. Whether the Microstation was "tweaked", or whatever the "I" stands for in EDS-I, there are differences. I initially bought the Microstation on its sounds alone. One play on the M50 showed me that it needed help and programming to sound the way I wanted it to - particularly with the electric pianos and acoustic pianos. The Microstation, however, gave me an instantly satisfying playing experience with little need for programming.

It is this point that I miss most about owning one. I eventually had to succumb to the greater possibilities of the M50 which I currently own and like...its really an underrated synth in this climate of Junos and Kronos and Motif.

...but I will always have a soft spot for the Microstation. Even to this day as I play it at stores I hear a really great sounding keyboard. For the price, one could even treat it as a sound module or rack module! Korg's Clavinets are the best out there in my opinion, and its Combi mode features super-fun arps for playing in the wee hours of the night.
MinorKey

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help guys.

I can only agree: the M50 is a underrated synth! The only two shortcomings it has in my view is the lack of a sampler and decent uillean pipe samples.
No aftertouch can be considered its third shortcoming, but I don't care for that all that much!
andersborg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MinorKey wrote:
Thanks for the help guys.

I can only agree: the M50 is a underrated synth! The only two shortcomings it has in my view is the lack of a sampler and decent uillean pipe samples.
No aftertouch can be considered its third shortcoming, but I don't care for that all that much!

I concur. My main gripe is that many factory Programs need too much force to sound good. This certainly applies to the EPs. They simply don't sound much at all if played softly.

What I find remarkable is that more people seem to complain about the Programs and Combis in the M50 than in the M3, even though they should be essentially the same. Any clue why this is so?

I have an M50, and it's still a treasure trove to me, with lots of unexplored possibilities.

I noted that e.g. Yamaha MOX (that some have compared to the M50) requires PC software for deeper editing, but on the M50 you can edit everything on the synth itself. I find that a big benefit, even though it's not altogether simple (e.g. AMS routing).
MinorKey

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andersborg wrote:
I concur. My main gripe is that many factory Programs need too much force to sound good. This certainly applies to the EPs. They simply don't sound much at all if played softly.

What I find remarkable is that more people seem to complain about the Programs and Combis in the M50 than in the M3, even though they should be essentially the same. Any clue why this is so?

I have an M50, and it's still a treasure trove to me, with lots of unexplored possibilities.

I noted that e.g. Yamaha MOX (that some have compared to the M50) requires PC software for deeper editing, but on the M50 you can edit everything on the synth itself. I find that a big benefit, even though it's not altogether simple (e.g. AMS routing).

In fact, I too have noticed that some programs don't sound 100% when played softly. You're right, electric pianos are probably the best example which can be given. The patches I have in mind unless played hardly, don't have quite all the effects/distortion - at least it's not so audible. But who knows... Maybe that's the way it's supposed to work.
- To make things easier for me, I have the velocity curve set to 7, so I don't have the feeling I have to hit the keys all that much to bring out the sound.
K.Oz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: M3 > M50 > ps60 ~ kross, how so? Reply with quote

Well, I tried the news forum but no answers so far, I have a a question about the products in title, since I will get one of them, but I can not figure it out of teh specs, meaning:

Since the M50 has more pcm rom than M3, how can it has worse sounds? And since Ps60 has more pcm for fewer sounds, and a newer engine, the same as the kross, the same question applies. I am not even putting the Triton Extreme and Studio, that have even less pcm rom BUT are acclaimed even above M3 in terms of quality. Please, someone clarifies this to me!

I do not need the workstation functions, so my focus is better sounds and good layer capabilities, like x50 or m50, is there a SYNTH above ps60?
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: M3 > M50 > ps60 ~ kross, how so? Reply with quote

K.Oz wrote:
Well, I tried the news forum but no answers so far, I have a a question about the products in title, since I will get one of them, but I can not figure it out of teh specs, meaning:

Since the M50 has more pcm rom than M3, how can it has worse sounds? And since Ps60 has more pcm for fewer sounds, and a newer engine, the same as the kross, the same question applies. I am not even putting the Triton Extreme and Studio, that have even less pcm rom BUT are acclaimed even above M3 in terms of quality. Please, someone clarifies this to me!

I do not need the workstation functions, so my focus is better sounds and good layer capabilities, like x50 or m50, is there a SYNTH above ps60?

I do not believe that the engine in the PS60 is the same as the Kross. I had the PS60 and still have the Kross 1 (actually, 4 of them) and they are different, especially noticeable in the piano area. I may be wrong...

The PS60 has 49 Mb of ROM. The Kross 1 has 112 Mb of ROM.

I did comment again on your post in the New Member zone and depending on where you are getting your information on the M3, the ROM is 256 Mb. It was a streamlined version of the HD-1 engine that the OASYS had. The M3 had 64 Mb of Sample RAM which could be expanded to 320 Mb. The eXpanded ROM increased the amount of ROM that the M3 had, but the stock version had 256 Mb and THAT ROM is what is in the M50.

I still love my M50 as well and I get a lot of use out of it.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M50 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: