Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Velocity to filter cutoff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:22 am    Post subject: Velocity to filter cutoff Reply with quote

i have discovered how to edit programs so velocity affects Amp (volume) on the Minilogue XD, very helpful. Can you tell me please how to set it so velocity affects filter characteristics, either cutoff or resonance? Thank you.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm told there is a way to modulate filter via velocity. Just haven't found it yet! Thanks in advance for any replies.
synthpeter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:
I'm told there is a way to modulate filter via velocity. Just haven't found it yet! Thanks in advance for any replies.

There are program and global settings for velocity..

EG velocity is under PROGRAM edit, button 8, first option.
Amp velocity is under PROGRAM edit button 8, second option.
Velocity curve is under GLOBAL edit button 4, fourth option.

The EG velocity changes the strength of the cutoff EG-int, in other words how much velocity affects the filter cutoff envelope.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

synthpeter wrote:
PlasticLoveDoll wrote:

There are program and global settings for velocity..

EG velocity is under PROGRAM edit, button 8, first option.
Amp velocity is under PROGRAM edit button 8, second option.
Velocity curve is under GLOBAL edit button 4, fourth option.

The EG velocity changes the strength of the cutoff EG-int, in other words how much velocity affects the filter cutoff envelope.

EG Velocity affects the strength of cutoff via velocity? I can hear it... but don't you feel that is kind of subtle? Also, in that modulation menu you refer to, when you select MIDI aftertouch to modulate filter cutoff or resonance... you can't set the amount? Is the Prologue more versatile than this? I'm thinking of trading up. Thank you for any reply.
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set the filter cutoff to a low value. (9 o'clock) Set the EG intensity to something like 40-70. Then set the EG velocity to a mid to high value. This should get you a less subtle reaction to velocity. All 3 parameters...(Filter Cutoff, EG Int and EG Velocity) sort of work together here.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobustAmerican wrote:
Set the filter cutoff to a low value. (9 o'clock) Set the EG intensity to something like 40-70. Then set the EG velocity to a mid to high value. This should get you a less subtle reaction to velocity. All 3 parameters...(Filter Cutoff, EG Int and EG Velocity) sort of work together here.

That's excellent advice! Thank you man. I appreciate it.

Tell me please, if you have any idea... I'm thinking of sending this back and going with a Prologue 16. Is the editing different on that? Would it offer more or different control of parameters like this? I do love to make patches more expressive. Thanks in advance.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For example, it can be really cool to set up a patch so that harder velocity actually causes a more diffused attack, in filter or amp. Can you do this with the Mini XD? I think perhaps not, but I wonder, how about in the Prologue?
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlasticLoveDoll wrote:

That's excellent advice! Thank you man. I appreciate it.

Tell me please, if you have any idea... I'm thinking of sending this back and going with a Prologue 16. Is the editing different on that? Would it offer more or different control of parameters like this? I do love to make patches more expressive. Thanks in advance.

For example, it can be really cool to set up a patch so that harder velocity actually causes a more diffused attack, in filter or amp. Can you do this with the Mini XD? I think perhaps not, but I wonder, how about in the Prologue?

Modulating envelope times via velocity is one of my favorite things. Sadly, neither the MiniXD/Prologue offer this. (You can almost get there by using the MW or Joystick to modulate the attack while velocity is hitting the filter envelope intensity...Using both controllers at once)

The available parameters on both are nearly identical except for the XD's sequencer and the layering possibilities with the Prologue. The midi aftertouch is very welcome but without an "amount" parameter it really limits it's usefulness. I've asked some folks at Korg about adding the amount parameter but so far it hasn't happened.
PlasticLoveDoll

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobustAmerican wrote:
PlasticLoveDoll wrote:

Modulating envelope times via velocity is one of my favorite things. Sadly, neither the MiniXD/Prologue offer this. (You can almost get there by using the MW or Joystick to modulate the attack while velocity is hitting the filter envelope intensity...Using both controllers at once)

The available parameters on both are nearly identical except for the XD's sequencer and the layering possibilities with the Prologue. The midi aftertouch is very welcome but without an "amount" parameter it really limits it's usefulness. I've asked some folks at Korg about adding the amount parameter but so far it hasn't happened.

Thank you. Very helpful information. So, the editing capability is about the same on the Prologue? There isn't much added control of envelopes and assignables? Just more voices and a bigger keyboard?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Minilogue / Monologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: