Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Gareth Emery a successful musician ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:33 pm    Post subject: Is Gareth Emery a successful musician ? Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bj4i-sW44s

My brother is into his stuff, specifically his Long Way Home hit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bj4i-sW44s

I have no idea about him but I am always curious to why/how a song gets
20 million listens on YouTube.

I understand there are numerous promotional factors involved. I see that Gareth ia EDM musician from the UK, plus whatever Wikipedia says.

Is he someone you are familiar with and follow ?

Thanks
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDM, in all its variants, has an extremely large following, ensuring that anything half decent gets a lot of listens. Social media use contributes in large part to the popularity of these artists.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, you are correct about EDM's big following. To my ears, its an extension of Dance/techno of the 90's/2000's.

this DJ puts on a laser light show during his ' concerts' . I think this is a part of his success. Which goes back to 2014-2015. I am not aware if he is still popular today compared to 2015.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
yes, you are correct about EDM's big following. To my ears, its an extension of Dance/techno of the 90's/2000's.

this DJ puts on a laser light show during his ' concerts' . I think this is a part of his success. Which goes back to 2014-2015. I am not aware if he is still popular today compared to 2015.

One of the biggest and most important things I learned early in my career (I am 50 now and have been playing most of my life), was to provide as good of a 'show' as possible that can add to the music.

Surely people love music for music itself, but people also like to be entertained. Why not give them both?

I am reminded of a Pink Floyd tribute band I was in not too long ago. Not only did we have 10 musicians/singers on stage, but we had over 180 lights, fog machines, some lasers too (IIRC), and the big round screen hanging above in the middle of the stage and we were providing video clips from different Floyd things (especially when doing the first 9 songs from The Wall). People left the show afterwards feeling completely fulfilled because they saw a 'show'.

With EDM, I have noticed that the focus on the 'show' and the effects are a big part of what is going on. I applaud that quite a lot.

A great light show can add so much to a band. My current band has a great light show. The additional project I am putting together will have a great light show and hopefully, even video (it is a matter of my putting it together).

What is great about our being keyboardists is that we can program the lights via MIDI and we can get the focus down to on a 'per note' basis if we wanted to. I love that part of our technology. Even my solo show has that Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good story and experience, Harry.

I am 68, enjoy song writing, and I get interested when a solo artist/singer is commercially [ or otherwise ] ' successful'.

when my brother made me aware of " Long Way Home ", and its 20 million hits, I got curious.

Especially, since the song isn't exactly difficult to put together , play, and produce.

I figured there were many other promotional factors and history that led to the performer's success behind his tune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: