Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Nautilus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be frank.

KORG are on a hiding to nowhere with this.

For the exact same retail price as the 61-key Nautilus, give or take a gumball from the machine on the way in the door, I can get a Kurzweil PC4 with 88 keys.

Samples? Check. Advanced synthesis? Check. (As an aside, if you think you've plumbed the depths of their V.A.S.T. engine, look again because you haven't.) Sliders? 9 of them. Knobs? 9 again. Aftertouch? Yep. Pedal connections? Four of them.

What does the Nautilus bring in that space? A joystick rather than two wheels for pitchbend and expression? OK, whatever. A touchscreen? That is not good, especially not with the touchscreen that they're offering. Linear sequencing? So does the PC4. Want 88 keys, that's another $700. Want aftertouch, go buy something else because the Nautilus doesn't do that. But the PC4 will at least display a piano roll representation of events on the linear sequencer while you edit them.

Oh, and the PC4, 88 key weighs about as much as the 61 key Nautilus. But the Nautilus has MIDI thru! That must explain the extra weight ...

Does nobody in KORG actually do anything like comparison shopping? Seriously?

If I were to buy a workstation tomorrow with two grand and change in my pocket, strong contenders would include an MPC of some sort, something from Kurzweil, and possibly something arranger-like from Casio, depending on my exact needs (don't laugh, the Casio step sequencer is more useful for live performance than you might imagine, even if I have to bring along a sound module to replace its internal samples).

Notice who's not on that list? KORG. And right now I'm sitting in arm's reach of two KORG workstations in my studio.
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets hope korg can bring the updates and new things in the software to the Kronos. Maybe a new Kronos with like 3 new engines (wavestate, organ, arp2600) and a step upwards to modern 64 bit os and multi core hardware..

Would love to have those arps in adition to the Karma...
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take on the Nautilus?

It looks good and seems to bridge the gap between the Krome and the Kronos. The features look great, even if it is missing some of what may be integral features (the faders immediately come to mind). Without the faders, convincingly playing the C3 emulations is going to be hard unless you have an external fader controller.

I did listen to a YT video, maybe from Loopop, that the USB in the keyboard allows for the use of a hub and you can use a QWERTY keyboard with the Nautilus. Maybe that would be true with a mouse too. The last board that I saw that allowed for that (not through USB though, I think) was a Roland Fantom. I wonder if you can hook up an external monitor to the Nautilus. Granted, you would not have the touch screen functionality, but at least a bigger monitor, AND the keyboard and mouse (hopefully) compatibility, would bridge the gap between a hardware unit and a softsynth/DAW type setup.

I wonder if Stephen Kay will design a software version of Karma for the Nautilus. The last Korg to have that, to my knowledge, was the M50...

I see the Nautilus as a unit that could sell well and give you the sounds of the Kronos in a cheaper package. I think that the price is too high though. Drop it down a few hundred more bucks, and they probably would not be able to make enough of them.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Koekepan wrote:
I'll be frank.

KORG are on a hiding to nowhere with this.

For the exact same retail price as the 61-key Nautilus, give or take a gumball from the machine on the way in the door, I can get a Kurzweil PC4 with 88 keys.

What does the Nautilus bring in that space? A joystick rather than two wheels for pitchbend and expression? OK, whatever. A touchscreen? That is not good, especially not with the touchscreen that they're offering.

Does nobody in KORG actually do anything like comparison shopping? Seriously?

I considered the PC4. I couldn't hack their LCD and small details, primarily due to my eye sight. Simply, if I can't see the data, its all over.

The Korg sound quality is programming is sterling. I am hooked on it like a drug. I believe many are attracted to the sound quality/programming.

I don't recall how much sample streaming PC4 can handle. Kronos/Nautilus can stream large 3rd party samples from SSD which is a huge strength.

I understand your analysis/compares but the above 3 points makes Nautilus a buy for many, and they will fork over the extra $500-$700.

And when JR and other pro's rave and gush about Nautilus, that will turn many heads. Thats how Korg marketing plays it.

Kronos will likely go thru EOL late next year.

Nautilus will be a big seller from day 1. Korg is smart and they know the market inside and out. Its no accident, Korg does workstations and will hold the top dog title for a few more years.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
My take on the Nautilus? ....

I wonder if Stephen Kay will design a software version of Karma for the Nautilus. The last Korg to have that, to my knowledge, was the M50...

Harry

KARMA *is* available for the Kronos, offering 6 additional KARMA modules on top of the Kronos' 4, so 10 KARMA modules running in parallel. Awesome potential.

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:

Harry

KARMA *is* available for the Kronos, offering 6 additional KARMA modules on top of the Kronos' 4, so 10 KARMA modules running in parallel. Awesome potential.

I know that Kronos has KARMA. I was talking specifically about the software version that you ran from your PC for the M50, and also the Yamaha Motif.

I did not consider the KARMA engine in the Kronos a software version because it attached to the hardware, like it did in the OASYS, M3, and the original KARMA workstation...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Koekepan
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC:

Yeah, I'm with you on the visual aspect. Can't see it, can't use it. This is why I can't use the Synthstrom Deluge (which otherwise looks like a great tool) - I can't differentiate the colours.

I'm not sure what the state of external streaming is with the Kurzweil, but they have an available internal 2GB for user data, which is quite a bit - but that may just be for instruments, I don't know.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
voip wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:

Harry

I know that Kronos has KARMA. I was talking specifically about the software version that you ran from your PC for the M50, and also the Yamaha Motif.

I did not consider the KARMA engine in the Kronos a software version because it attached to the hardware, like it did in the OASYS, M3, and the original KARMA workstation...

Grace,
Harry

I think he was saying that there is a version of Karma for Mac/PC that works with the Kronos that adds modules to those already in the Kronos. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Karma for Kronos software worked with the Nautilus too, given how similar they are.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there is an "external" software (PC/Mac) version of Karma for the Kronos.

https://www.karma-lab.com/karmasoft/karmasoft.html

There is no way of increasing Kronos' internal Karma modules, short of Korg issuing a new OS (probably not going to happen, though it would be a pleasant surprise if it did).

lidserter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the Nautilus and feel that it's the product that bridges correctly between Kronos and Kross. Krome doesn't count (no sampling, audio input, audio recorder...)
Nautilus is right for the price, I would have preferred it with aftertouch, but prefer the RH3 keybed rather than NH with AT. And all sums and seems a pretty workhorse for the price. 1200 difference from Kronos 88 (without rebate), seems right to say bye bye AT, faders...
I would own one for sure.
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

disclaimer- I have no insider info or secret sources.

2021 trends with Kronos and Nautilus:

- 'early adopters ' are pre-ordering Nautilus now
- the Korg marketing machine will kick in, JR and pro's will rave/gush over
Nautilus
- there will be a herd of buyers as Nautilus sells out and is back ordered in Spring/2021.

- 80% of potential new Korg buyers will choose Nautilus over new Kronos
- Half of Kronos owners will keep their K's, buy a Nautilus and have an " all about Korg " rig
- Other half of Kronos owners will offer their K's on eBay and Reverb, as they receive their Nautilus, thus there will be a large used quantity of K's to buy
- increased supply of used K's online ='s reduced used used price
- Korg will eventually EOL Kronos, possibly late 2021 or 2022

- Nautilus will be the new King of work stations

Last edited by GregC on Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Nautilus
- there will be a herd of buyers as Nautilus sells out and is back ordered in Spring/2021.

- Half of Kronos owners will keep their K's, buy a Nautilus and have an " all about Korg " rig
- Other half of Kronos owners will offer their K's on eBay and Reverb, as they receive their Nautilus, thus there will be a large used quantity of K's to buy

Where did you get that crystal ball? Could use one myself😁
I do think you’re right and that the Nautilus will be a successful way to squeeze more revenue out of the Kronos concept.
lidserter

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is superior. It proudly keeps the flagship title. I don't see how Kronos users would ditch their K's for something inferior. Nautilus is a middle yet high end keyboard, but not a flagship. K3 is coming, and if used market is flooded by K2s it wont be because of Nautilus, but for K3 expectations, I believe.
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
GregC wrote:
disclaimer- I have no insider info or secret sources.
Nautilus

Where did you get that crystal ball? Could use one myself😁
I do think you’re right and that the Nautilus will be a successful way to squeeze more revenue out of the Kronos concept.

Thank you ! LOL. I added a disclaimer. Have no secret source. Just my opinion.

I think some things are predictable. As some 'history ' can be a guide.

Korg has a very strong brand image and a clear title to work station ownership.
That plus that excellent Korg sound fuels many early sales.

I am still critical of Korg, of course. But when it comes to new work stations, they are nails on the market place. and have a large following.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lidserter wrote:
Kronos is superior. It proudly keeps the flagship title. I don't see how Kronos users would ditch their K's for something inferior. Nautilus is a middle yet high end keyboard, but not a flagship. K3 is coming, and if used market is flooded by K2s it wont be because of Nautilus, but for K3 expectations, I believe.

Actually, IMO, most of the Nautilus sounds and programming are superior to Kronos. And the sound is the determining factor, IMO.

Nothing wrong with you opinion, I have mine, etc.

Korg is doing a product transition with Kronos.

Introducing Nautilus now, with February availability is a step in the transition.

Sorry, no K3 this year. 90% sure. A K3 this year or early 2021,would confuse the marketplace, create more 'internal competition '.

I say not during 2021, when Nautilus sales are a big priority.

Plus Korg has to fully support Nautilus, possibly do an OS update. That extra support takes time
and people time. I call it 'focus '.

If ,and I emphasize 'if ', a K3 is possible early 2022. But not now.

Last edited by GregC on Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Nautilus / AT All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10

Jump to: