Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg X2 Floppy drive fun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markustg

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:51 pm    Post subject: Korg X2 Floppy drive fun Reply with quote

For those of you that have a Korg X2 or X3 or any unit that uses the floppy drives that use belt and have a 24 pin flat cable.

If your drive fails and the issue was not that it needed a new belt, finding a replacement drive is expensive (like $80 or $90 US) and difficult.

Long story but there are options out there.

You can find a drive that reads and writes 720k disks and buy a converter board that connects the old 24 pin flat cable from the X2/X3 to a 34 pin with seperate power supply.

If you are in Europe you are in luck as they are made there and are about $30US just search on that and you will find the company.

If you are in the US you can still buy them but because of Covid I was told shipping is only through DHL and that ads another $30!

So, my journey ended with me going on a vintage PC board, decribed my problem and a very nice memeber custom built me an interface board for $40 shipped. It works perfectly. It also should work with a Gotek Floppy emulator (720K compatable) and allow you to add one to your X2/X3. I have one but have not installed it yet.

PM me and I can give you his e-mail address as he has enough parts to make 2 more. Very Happy
markustg

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did find a solution for this. A SONY floppy drive that is both 720K and 1.4MB capable and the command in MSDOS of format a:/f:720 allowed me to format the 720K disks and also pull the files from the old disks.

Happy happy joy joy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: