Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos with adjustable angle screen
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Kronos with adjustable angle screen Reply with quote

Just completed this latest mod on my Korg Kronos which is even more perfect to me now. Cool

My LCD screen now has two positions/angles :

- Normal - like any other Kronos.
- "High stick" (as on a grand piano for the lid) - screen at perfect angle to work while sitting.

Especially, this mod solves several problems, including but not limited to :

- Much better view of the LCD screen while sitting
- Much better tone of the colors in setlist mode - especially the lighter ones - while sitting.
- No more head, neck and back aches while working intensively for hours designing new sounds, creating multisamples and so on.
- Etc...

Pics below show the difference between normal and "high stick" position.

Last edited by KK on Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
BlackForest

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK, this is stunning!! How did you manage that? Do you have pics of the mod?
Truly a skilful hand at work here.

Q: why are your LEDs on the left hand buttings in different colours? Did you also mod that?

Korg DS-8, Roland D-10, M1Rex, Wavestation, Korg SP-280, JV2080, Wavestate, Kronos LS - all RIP
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BlackForest wrote:
KK, this is stunning!! How did you manage that? Do you have pics of the mod?
Truly a skilful hand at work here.

Q: why are your LEDs on the left hand buttings in different colours? Did you also mod that?

Hello BlackForest,

Thank you, it was indeed by far the most complicated mod I ever did on any keyboard ! Shocked

Took me about 80 hours to complete this. It was a bit stressful to do as zero room for error, otherwise very expensive repairs or worse the whole thing become useless. And there is no procedure as something completely new, with some steps bringing challenges until I could figure out solutions to them. But it was worth the effort. I wanted to do this since a while so to not have head/neck/back problems anymore when working hours literally "above" the screen. What I can tell you is that every millimeter of space counts in the Kronos. And it is remarkably well built, as opposed to what some say about it.

I took some pics so to remember certain critical steps, especially when transforming the Kronos into just a set of components. I might post some of them if there is any interest.

Finally, about your other question indeed in a previous mod I wanted to use different colors on the Kronos to help me work/remember the different control modes , etc. Took a quick video of that back then which you can view here : https://vimeo.com/234769273 I actually slightly improved on this during this most recent movable LCD mod, as I didn't like some of the green and blue colors. The greens and blues are now even better. Cool
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Truly awesome. That was the best bit of my OASYS. If only Korg made it like that to begin with!

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
Wow! Truly awesome. That was the best bit of my OASYS. If only Korg made it like that to begin with!

Hello Stephen,

Thanks for the nice comments. Tonight is the first time I play my Kronos in a long week after working extensively on this and I had a great time. I feel more connected than ever to the Kronos because I now have all the controls right in my face. Even the tiny Polysix buttons are now super easy to select when I place the screen on (what I refer to as) the "high stick". In Set List mode, the white font on the lighter backgrounds (like Azure, Denim and others) is now easy to read as a direct angle optimizes the tint/contrast. Cool
IAA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A great Mod - I think you could market that - I’d love it!! Very Happy
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is totally fantastic! Wish I had your hardware skills! Very Happy
alamo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outstanding! Shocked
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAA wrote:
A great Mod - I think you could market that - I’d love it!! Very Happy

Yep, I was thinking of getting a design patent. Wink The good thing about this mod is that it costed me very little to complete it. For the few specialized parts, one just needs to find longer ribbons for the LCD screen. The rest is basic like screws, a couple of plastic parts and then a lot of mm-precise Dremel cutting, etc. Doing a second identical one on another Kronos 2 would take me less time now that I know exactly what to do, but I doubt anyone would want to pay me a little fortune for that. Laughing

Note that this mod was made on a Kronos 2. The previous models don't have a plastic middle part to hold the LCD screen. It is instead one big panel of metal, so this mod as is would be more complicated to do on earlier Kronos models. Of course, there are many alternative ways to do such a mod, it could instead be a LCD holder placed on top, but IMHO it would not have looked good. I wanted my Kronos to keep its original look - and it does, with the screen in its normal position. Thank you for your nice comments ! Very Happy
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
Well that is totally fantastic! Wish I had your hardware skills! Very Happy

Thank you ! It was actually difficult for me as I'm far from an expert at Dremel tools, but looking at video online for tricks and then proceeding with extreme caution it ended up well. Dancing

alamo wrote:
outstanding! Shocked

Thank you ! To me, this mod was mainly about getting rid of head/neck/back aches because I like to work a lot on sampling and creating new sounds on the Kronos. Now, with the screen just in front of me, it is so much easier on my old body parts. Laughing
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just messing around this afternoon with some removable "aesthetic" sides. Think Not talking Dancing Brick wall

omvibraphone

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, this looks fantastic, great work! Any further pictures of the process you could post would I am sure be of interest.
I see there are also two additional buttons on the far left of your Kronos, what do they do?
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome great job!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omvibraphone wrote:
As others have said, this looks fantastic, great work! Any further pictures of the process you could post would I am sure be of interest.
I see there are also two additional buttons on the far left of your Kronos, what do they do?

Thanks for the nice comments ! They serve to adjust aftertouch (AT). Around two years ago, I wanted to make the AT much easier to trigger/control, so did that little mod back then. More info in this video : https://vimeo.com/260649165.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
That is awesome great job!

Thanks Benny ! With the previous mods, I now call mine the Kronos 7. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: