Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Play" section in Style Play mode

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhatPound

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:45 pm    Post subject: "Play" section in Style Play mode Reply with quote

Hi

I've had the PA700 for a couple of months now, and I think I've figured most things out.

One thing has puzzled me from the start.

In Style Play mode, I understand choosing a style, choosing a keyboard, and choosing different instruments.

But what does choosing a song in the "Play" section (above the Keyboard section on the screen) do?

I've chosen songs in the Song Play mode, and that makes sense, because you can then play that song.

But what does choosing a song in the Style Play mode do? Won't whatever song you put there be irrelevant once you start playing the keyboard?

thanks

WP
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your Keyboard can do a lot more than just Sounds and Styles.....it can also play two types of Songs - mp3's and Midi files and you can play along with them. It can also display lyrics and chord prompts as you play.

The mp3's can be anything you have in this format eg downloads from the internet or even an mp3 you record from your keyboard itself (you can record mp3s by pressing Shift/Record buttons - or at least that is the way it works on my Pa3x but should be same or similar on your keyboard).
You can make your own midi files in Sequencer mode and also play these back in Song Play mode or you can download new midis from the internet. These midis can be re-mixed in Sequencer mode (eg replace instruments or mute some).

Midi's and mp3s can be stored either on your Korg drive or on a USB flash drive and you can navigate to them via the song name in Song Play mode.

I suggest you get organised by creating two new folders on your Korg Drive called say myMIDIs and MyMP3s and store them there. You can create new folders by pressing Media, top-right dropdown menu, create folder.

Once you have songs in these folders you can navigate to them via the Song Name in Song Play BUT its much better to put them into Songbook where all your keyboard setups for each song are also stored.

One final word - its best to stick to midi's rather than mp3s because mp3s use a lot more memory.

Hope that gets you started.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some midis that also have lyrics that you can try. I had these uploaded sometime back.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fI5wO2NbgxdvjL47FF0Gr7glI7MoXDhL/view?usp=sharing
Unzip them and copy them to a USB Flash drive.
Navigate to them in Song Play mode and press the Lyrics button to see the lyrics on your Korg screen.
These midi may not suit your style (early 70's) but you will see the power of your Korg!
WhatPound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: "Play" section in Style Play mode Reply with quote

Thanks for all that detail.

However I still don't understand what role choosing a song has, when in Style Play mode.

All the things you mention: playing along with the song, seeing the music and lyrics etc, are done in Song Play mode.

It appears to me that in Style Play mode, choosing a song, in the section on screen where you can choose a song, has no effect.
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: "Play" section in Style Play mode Reply with quote

WhatPound wrote:
It appears to me that in Style Play mode, choosing a song, in the section on screen where you can choose a song, has no effect.

That's correct and agreed that it's confusing.
It's the same case with Pa1000 and Pa4X.
WhatPound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "Play" section in Style Play mode Reply with quote

BR wrote:

That's correct and agreed that it's confusing.
It's the same case with Pa1000 and Pa4X.

Thanks, good to know it wasn't just me Smile
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add to your confusion, there are also Songs stored in the Songbook and they are available to load from there or via a Setlist.

In this case a Song is a customised Style

You can save a Style to Songbook for customising as per your needs.

Using Songbook effectively is the prime method ofusing a PA
WhatPound

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:

Using Songbook effectively is the prime method ofusing a PA

Is that still the case if I'm only going to use it to compose, arrange, and record my own songs?

I'm not a performer, and will never use it to perform live.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But what does choosing a song in the Style Play mode do? Won't whatever song you put there be irrelevant once you start playing the keyboard?

This is what it is for:-

Choosing a song (MIDI/MP3) whilst in the STYLE-play mode enables you to prepare for the next song (or next 2 songs if you use both players)
This is great if you perform with a combination of MIDIs, MP3s and styles. You can make these selections whilst you are actively playing a style.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Sb-Entry type style / song Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Just to add to your confusion, there are also Songs stored in the Songbook and they are available to load from there or via a Setlist..

Both styles and songs have been saved as Sb entries in the songbook of Pa-keyboards for decades an were available to be loaded from CustomList (now Setlist).

Biggles wrote:
..In this case a Song is a customised Style ..

A customized style in the songbook also in this case is not a song, but is a style performance linked to the style sequence of a factory or user style - nothing else and that has nothing to do with a song.
Why Korg uses the misleading term "using a song in style play mode" is due to the fact that from Pa700 / 1000 / 4x onwards Korg nonsensical published "basic idea behind the SongBook is that you always start from a song". At least it is nonsensical with entry type "Style" because you need not start a style like a song. A style differs from the entry type "Song" because you can continue to play a style even when changing the Sb entry without to stop, while a song is stopped must be stopped beforehand for this in any case.

A complaint to Korg also confirmed this. It has been admitted abashed that the songbook for the StylePlayer with the last Pa series is limited to playing only one single style without interruption and is not possible to do that with seamless interruption as we had with previous Pa-series.

The ugly interruptions in the sounds and effects of the real-time tracks are caused by KbdSet # 1, which is loaded with every change of sb-entry. But that shouldn't happen at all if the function "StyleToKbdSet" is set to "off". Korg admitted that this songbook-function no longer is suitable with entry type Style like "StyleChange".

Now changing the Sb entry each time causes KbdSet # 1 to be loaded and results in an ugly noticeable interruption for a started, continuous style by switching the real-time tracks (upper, lower, effects), which means that seamless transition as with previous models (e.g. Pa500 / 800 / 3x) no longer are possible!
Compared with previous series SetList was named CustomList, KbdSet was named STS and StyleToKbdSet was named StyleChange. But with songbook use of StyleChange also worked with setting "Off" without automatically loading STS#1into a running style with ugly interruptions as Pa700/1000/4x do with Style-To-Kbdset "off".

The use of the songbook in recent Pa-serie maybe the prime method for most users, in case using Sb-List with running Styles it is unsuitable / unsuitable.
WhatPound wrote:
.. what does choosing a song in the "Play" section (above the Keyboard section on the screen) do?

I think the hint to choose a song in the "Play" section above the Keyboard section on the screen also is disruptive and misleading like the similar hint "basic idea behind the SongBook is that you always start from a song", in case if one mean an entry typ "Style".

But the restriction to be limited to one single style to be started as "song" is a disaster if for decades you have been used the songbook for playing styles ongoing and continuous with seamless transitions, for which the Pa keyboards are no longer suitable!

An update would be necessary in order to prevent the automatic loading of KbdSet # 1, if StyleToKbd-Set is set to OFF. Meaning OFF is "Styles do not select a Keyboard Set" - that also should be realized with songbook to finally remedy the restriction of only being able to play through more than ONLY ONE SINGLE STYLE without ugly interruption!

PS: .. also it is not to justify with the assertion, a style suddenly will mutated to be a modified song. Styles also stored with songbook remain styles, that necessarily are not to start like a song!

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is that still the case if I'm only going to use it to compose, arrange, and record my own songs?

SONGBOOK is the heart of the keyboard design no matter what you're doing on it. It is your main registration system.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: "Play" section in Style Play mode Reply with quote

WhatPound wrote:
Hi

I've had the PA700 for a couple of months now, and I think I've figured most things out.

One thing has puzzled me from the start.

In Style Play mode, I understand choosing a style, choosing a keyboard, and choosing different instruments.

But what does choosing a song in the "Play" section (above the Keyboard section on the screen) do?

I've chosen songs in the Song Play mode, and that makes sense, because you can then play that song.

thanks

WP

In my experience with the PA700 (I have had one since September 2017 and use it daily), The Song Play mode allows you to play an MP3 or a MIDI Sequence and still be able to use the 4 keyboard sets (STS Settings) for that given song.

This is where the Songbook comes in handy. It allows you to create custom STS settings for the given MP3 or MIDI Sequence. You can create a Songbook entry for that particular MP3 or MIDI Sequence and have your (up to) 4 STS settings with that song. You can create a Set List entry that would point to that MP3/MIDI Sequence and it would already be set up.

The ONLY time that I use the Songbook right now is for when I play a solo gig using my original material. I created the soundbeds for my songs in MP3 format (320k rate) and have each song listed in the songbook.

I have tried using the Song Play Mode with my MIDI sequences (I am putting together a trio where my PA700 IS the band), and find that it really is easier for me to simply choose the MIDI sequence while in Sequencer Mode, select the one I want, and hit play. This is because I am using another synth for the lead sounds anyway (Korg M50). The only other thing that I have to do is mute and unmute the drum track because I have an Alesis SR-16 MIDIed to the PA700 to layer the drum track for a beefier sound.

I have found that while using the Song Play Mode with a MIDI Sequence can get a bit wonky because when I program the EFX in the sequence, the STS setting I use may change what I have programmed in the sequence for the EFX B settings. It is not a real problem, per se. It is more of an annoyance. Since I am using another synth for the lead sounds, it is really a 'non issue'.
If you are going to use the sequencer to write your own songs and not perform the live, then the Songbook really is not going to help you much.

Keep in mind that you have two EFX blocks (A and B). I normally use A for the background tracks and use B for the lead tracks. You can have up to two insert EFX for EFX block A and one for EFX block B.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: