Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg/ARP Odyssey. LFO Envelope retrig problem.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2015 1:01 pm    Post subject: Korg/ARP Odyssey. LFO Envelope retrig problem. Reply with quote

I think I may have discovered a bit of a problem with the LFO repeat of the envelopes Sad

If you create a short sharp envelope patch, and switch the ADSR LFO REPEAT on, what you *should* get when playing the keyboard is an initial trigger of the ADSR followed by repeats from the LFO - you should end up with a cleanly triggering psudo-step sequencer effect when playing melodies.

It would seem that both mine and a friends Korg Oddy is not cleanly triggering from the initial keyboard strike - it's very hit & miss and not at all like the genuine Odyssey's behaviour, in fact it's a bit of a mess.

I can only put it down to different keyboard circuitry (digital scanning), an omission in the triggering path, or possibly that the Square LFO output providing the gate signal is inverted. Unfortunately it seems to be a fundamental circuit error and not something that can be fixed with a firmware update Rolling Eyes

EDIT: Now I've just found out that the CV out does not pass through, vib, bend, transpose or portamento... IT SHOULD!

Very disappointed - sent back for a refund Sad
modular1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the modular version does the same thing? While it'a annoying this fault is there I'm not going to let it put me off buying one as I've fallen in love with the demos out there. If it becomes a major issue hopefully they will fix it in the rumoured full size version coming soon.
Broadwave
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We won't know until it's out - I hope they've fixed it. It's a great little synth, it's just that I need the ADSR/LFO trigger, as It's a function I use a great deal.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if this was fixed? Looks like KARP committed to building the full size this month.

https://ask.audio/articles/korg-arp-odyssey-fs-synth-is-limited-edition
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
sw_hunt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got two Korg Ody Modules (Kodules). I can confirm that they've not got the fault you describe. When using LFO triggering of ADSR, a midi in key press always retriggers the envelope at the right time whatever the phase of the LFO. So they fixed that but created a new bug that means the LFO is halted for the duration of a key press if you do the legato trick of connecting gate out to trig in. Just needs a capacitor in the LFO reset line like the original Odyssey had! Cheapskates.
modular1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there ever been any kind of fix or mod to rectify this on the keyboard version?

Any opinions on the Behringer version in comparison? Did they get all this stuff right? Do they sound as good?
slug

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The LFO is free running when note on triggered from rear gate input, its just the keyboard that resets it.
modular1

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't reset it properly on the mini keyboard version with ASDR set to LFO repeat it seems the keyboard does not reset the LFO properly and its highly unusable/unmusical.
It should not behave the way it does and it doesn't do it on the module version.It's almost like that if you hit the key in the first half of the lfo cycle it works but it doesn't in the second half.
Hooked On Sonics

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2020 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yoooooo Sherman, yes Mr Peabody? Start the Korg Odyssey Mini Key Wayback Machine!!!

Way back when Broadwave declared this issue on the Mini Keys, I called Sweetwater, who put me touch with Korg in New York, who in turn, took the keyboard back, fixed the issue, and sent it back to me perfect, it was a very painless process.
Korg Kronos II - Instant Karma's Gonna Get You, Synth Wars - The Rise of the KARP 2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, KARP & Odyessey, Moog One - The Poly Menace, Vintage 2016 Model D, Voyager of Sinbad XL, Fooger Family of Six, Three Mothers Like No Others, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, MoogClaraVox, Criklon V2, in living color, Elektron RytmII Avenue, Neuman U67
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: