Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EG Reset - any example of practical use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
syevad

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: EG Reset - any example of practical use? Reply with quote

I bought a MK original recently...
I'm not new with programming a synth and most paramenters are pretty straighforward - but I don't get the utility of the EG Reset (for both for Filter and Amp)...even when setting the release to near maximum there seems to make no difference whether the EG Reset is set to ON or OFF.
To try to make the changes more evident I've decided to use a PATCH and link the AmpEG to the Pitch - I noticed (at last) some differences but it is still very subtle.
What are EG Reset for? Any clear example of practical usage?
Thanks.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I've no idea about practical usage.

I think the on/off difference of the reset should be the most pronounced in mono mode, trigger multi, high sustain level, long release time, long attack time.
When off, holding a key till it is in sustain stage, then releasing and quickly hitting a key, should not result in a real clear attack phase. As the sustain level is high and reset is off, the attack of the new note will be short and not distinct. When reset on, at least the attack of the second note should be more obvious.

Well this is all wild guessing from my side as my mKXL does not have this feature. I did not know the original mK had it.

Have fun
syevad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for your feedback...
I'm going to check the Mono or Unison modes as these are probably more suited for both EG resets.
As it stands for Poly mode I see this parameters make very little (if any) difference and wonder if these have been omitted in the XL version for that exact reason (practically useless).
syevad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I've just found out with the proper parameters settings the EGReset can be quite useful - I must have left some "wrong" values somewhere, that's why I couldn't hear much changes...this is the problem when the visual clues are missing and have to rely on brain memory alone (and don't like the Editor).

It does work on Poly too - though I'm not 100% sure if it's more effective wnen more than 4 notes are played.
The "cluster" mode arpeggiator is quite useful in this case to listen to how the EGreset works - it's more predictable when ON...while when OFF the volume (it can be applied to Pitch or other parameter with PATCHES) tends to increase slowly or faster depending on ATTACK and RELEASE. While the ON might give a punchier attack but lower volume and sometimes the sound is completely silent.
Not the most intuitive paramenter but quite interesting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: