Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What synth will you NEVER SELL !!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if digital synths will get higher in price in some decades but you never know. At least I'm not going to sell mine either (but not necessarily for that reason).

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
wan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My nord modular G2X, that is a one of a kind synth.
Kevin Nolan
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PianoManChuck wrote:
Kevin Nolan wrote:
But there are other issues - if you replace one synth with another you lose the experience, learnt skills, immediacy and so on that you had acquired on the previous instrument.

I'd have to disagree with that. Having had a Triton Pro/X (classic), it made the Kronos that much easier to play - much of the touch screen selections/choices are similar with the same concepts of Global, Program, Combi, Sequencer, Disk, etc. So I didn't "lose the experience" or "learnt skills" or any of that which was "acquired on the previous instrument".... if anything, it all transferred over to the Kronos and made the learning experience that much simpler. It was a definite plus!

The problem I have now is in actual sound quality. The Kronos sounds so much better than the Triton (especially in the pianos) that my plan of keeping the Triton changed... I haven't even turned it on in the 7 weeks since I've had the Kronos because it just doesn't sound as good - plain & simple. I'm just about ready to sell the Triton now.

I think we're talking across purposes. To me, the Korg Karma (Triton Engine) has a multitude of programs, combi's and other features - even Karma GE implementation - that are simply not configured for use on the Kronos/OASYS. Yes on paper the Kronos/OASYS is superior in many way - but because I’m talking about using the Korg Karma, Kronos, OASYS - or any instrument - in creative and personalized way, and not just using standard instrument programs 'as is', as I believe you are talking about - I don't believe you can easily substitute one system you've invested in with another.

So, to me the Kronos/OASYS cannot replace the Korg Karma. I've invested too many hours in creating sounds for it that are not available anywhere else. (And as an aside, in this comparison, it turns out that many of the Korg Karma GE's are far more useful - in their real world implementation - than the OASYS/Kronos, because those instruments are doing too much (because they are able to) so they sound more like arranger keyboards. On the other hand, the Korg Karma offers in even its factory default set a plethora of useful Karma / GE material more applicable to personalised, more creative composing.

So I disagree with you too. There are features of the Triton that are unique to it, and if one puts hours in learning them, how best to use them and how best to interact with that system, well for me that is irreplaceable.

Don't get we wrong - I accept that the basic 'sample data', synth engines and many programs on the Kronos are superior to the Triton; but in fairness, it sounds to me that you are using standard instruments and the Kronos for that purpose alone - whereas I'm a synthesist and the Korg Karma delivers in a myriad of different ways not replaceable by the Kronos/OASYS. The point being – they are different – and hence irreplaceable (in creative scenarios). So we're talking across purposes.

Kevin.
irtehyar

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Never sell" isn't quite the right term for some of my gear. I'll always have a Virus, but that doesn't mean I won't upgrade to a newer model if it's better. I've owned 3. I guess the end result is similar to "never sell".

Same for Kronos. These mostly software based synths can often be "upgraded", much like a PC. I might move to a newer one if they make something even more revolutionary in a few years.

I think I'll hang on to my Radias forever. It would never sell for enough peanuts to justify the loss. Same with my MicroQ.

I should have kept: Andromeda and DSI PEK. I'll probably buy another PEK. These are unique enough to be on a "never sell" list.

I'll never sell 90% of my modular.

Of course this is all totally contingent on me remaining financially solvent. Wink
vince66

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking - I'll never sell my JB Solaris - especially as it's a white one but then I thought - Oh what about the Kurz PC3 (although this will be p/ex'd for a PC3K7) so it's really tough to say. Definitely won't get rid of the Kronos (until Korg bring out the successor lol!).
I regret selling my Akai AX80, very underrated in my opinion and the Kawai K5000 - very unique, and lovely keyboard, but it needed more tlc than I had time to give it.
Interesting to read this thread!
Smile
PianoManChuck
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin Nolan wrote:
I think we're talking across purposes. To me, the Korg Karma (Triton Engine) has a multitude of programs, combi's and other features - even Karma GE implementation - that are simply not configured for use on the Kronos/OASYS. Yes on paper the Kronos/OASYS is superior in many way - but because I’m talking about using the Korg Karma, Kronos, OASYS - or any instrument - in creative and personalized way, and not just using standard instrument programs 'as is', as I believe you are talking about - I don't believe you can easily substitute one system you've invested in with another.

For your purposes you're right... you won't be able to replace what you've done on your Karma (Triton engine) with the Kronos since you've programmed/molded those sounds. For my purposes, I use the patches "as is", so based on that alone, I have no further use for the Triton. It all boils down to "how" you're using your previous synths in order to answer this thread's question. I also have a Privia PX-330 that I won't sell simply because its a fully-weighted hammer-action digital piano/workstation that has a great sounding piano patch and only weighs 26 lbs.... I'll take that to a gig any day over the Kronos (cheaper, lighter, if it gets scratched/damaged its not as bad as having the Kronos scratched/damaged). And moving the Triton (classic) 88-key is a major pain due to its weight.
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't sell my Kross1. It looks better than the Kross2. In fact, I enjoy it even more since I converted it to a keytar. https://youtu.be/I7YHznSAEYY
I'm also sticking with my Yamaha for the classic keys/organ/clav "bread and butter" sounds.

No regrets on selling anything in the past. When I started decades ago, to get a decent sound, it took over 1400 lbs of gear (Hammond C3, dual Leslie speakers, Fender ePiano and analog Moog Synth). I don't miss hauling those boat-anchors around.
emilloparski

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:26 am    Post subject: See this one Reply with quote

I’d sell everything. Even your keys, for my profit, of course! Twisted Evil
Just kidding, just checking if you actually read what others post Very Happy
I have a Kronos 2 88, which I won’t be able to sell even if I wanted to, since it’s barely used, and I will lose money selling it for low price. So I guess it stays with me.
My biggest regret is seling brand new Yamaha MOXF 88, it’s definitely lower class than the Kronos, but at that time I didn’t have the Korg.
Last year I did another mistake, typically in my style, selling Kronos v1 61. Totally regret that decision. It was driven by the fact that it was bought second hand, and one button was missing, another one was half sinking. But I travel a lot since 2011, and 88 K2 is not an option.

So now I have MoDX 7. Not for sale!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: