Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keytar - some advice please..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:07 am    Post subject: Keytar - some advice please.. Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I am considering buying a "keytar" and going around in circles.
I am after any feedback advice please.

I have looked at Rolands AX1/AX7 (used), AX09 (Lucina) and am off to try the AX-synth and have also researched the Alesis Vortex.
I think all of these will do the job I need. I don't necessarily need one with on-board sounds.

I want to use this live in my blues band (to annoy the guitarist Wink ) but just for a few numbers (I have a Kronos for the most part)

If any of you have/use one I would be most grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Bald Eagle
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to annoy the guitarist and get some attention try an Eigenharp.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f9qPf31xYnY&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3Df9qPf31xYnY
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool

Love it!!! Gotta have one....

Wink
SanderXpander
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AX-Synth and would say it's not the most useful as a controller. It sends program changes over midi, and sends one when you turn it on. So if you have it off for most of the gig, then get your sound ready and turn it on, it will reset your module/synth to patch 001/000. Super dumb and annoying. While it is somewhat useful that you can send program changes, you can't actually assign them to buttons.

I ended up using mine with just the on-board sounds. There are some decent leads in there and you can fiddle with the editor. The engine is actually kind of ok, but very limited in the fx section and obviously a limited amount of samples. Compared to my Kronos, very much so.

D-Beam is useless for me, the bendy thing is quite good. All in all, it does take some getting used to, to play and have your keyboard wiggle around as you walk.
Synthoid
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure you want the "keytar image?" Very Happy

karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Synthoid - that is SO me....... (NOT)
Laughing

Actually tried the AX-synth yesterday (hard to actually find any here) and I must admit that I have probably wasted forum space here - definitely a no-go for me

BUT guys, thanks so much for your comments (and the humour!!)

Pete Very Happy
michelkeijzers
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once had that middle red 'synth' ... well actually it was more like a toy ... threwed it away a few months ago since it didn't work anymore.

Never used on stage (don't want to be seen with such thing). However, AX Synth and others are in another league.

Developer of the free PCG file managing application for most Korg workstations: PCG Tools, see https://www.kronoshaven.com/pcgtools/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
phattbuzz
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Ax-Synth as well. I've used it on stage a few times as well as on a couple of videos. The keyboard has the usual synth feel to it with velocity sensing. It has some pretty good sax, cello, and synth sounds built into it. The other sounds are ok but I wouldn't want to use them all night long. If the keyboard had aftertouch, it would be much more useful. I find the D-Beam isn't that great a feature at all. I spent some time trying to figure out if you could calibrate it to work better, but you can't. It can take batteries so you have some freedom to walk around, but you still need to set up a wireless transmitter for full freedom. Even better would be a wireless midi transmitter. I do like the modulation bar/pitchbend ribbon on it. They did that right! If I were in the market for a keytar today, I think I would look at the Alesis Vortex.
Past Instruments of Construction: Hammond A100 w/Leslie 760, Korg R3, Roland AxSynth, Korg Poly61, Korg M1, Univox MaxiKorg, Korg MS2000, (2) Moog Concertmate MG1, (2) Hammond X5, Rhodes Mark I & 2, Farfisa Compact, Yamaha S08, Casio SK1, Strymon Mobius, Custom Bass Pedals, Burns B3 Theremin.
mathieumaes

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

For over a year now, my gig setup consists of nothing but my Kronos 88 and a Roland AX synth.
Most keytars look toy-ish, so for me the AX-synth was the only choice. And I love it!

Although the sounds aren't bad, I decided to use my Kronos as the only sound engine in my gig, so I'm using a wireless MIDI system:
- The CME WIDI-XU looks like a USB drive and works great on the Kronos. Plug 'n play!
- The CME WIDI-X8 is attached to the keytar. The MIDI connections on the AX are on a very inconvenient place, and it doesn't have a belt clip. I purchased a soft case for a photo camera (with a belt clip) and secured it on the shoulder strap. It needs getting used to, but it doesn't bother me anymore!
I've never had issues with latency or bad connection.

One of the issues I had was monitoring. As soon as I moved away from my Kronos and floor wedge, I couldn't hear much of my own sound. I now use a wireless in-ear system as well (AKG IVM-4).

So, in short: I love this rig and I highly recommend it. When picking up the keytar on stage and walk to the front of the stage, I feel like I'm no longer part of the stage decoration, but an actual member of the band! Smile
(If you're a drummer, please don't feel offended, lol!)
Rosen Sound
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a roland ax1 with the CME widi x8 duplex system (wanted to get the xU like the poster above, but it was actually more expensive with the currency exchange.

I recommend the AX-1 for a few reasons...

The AX-7 is noted to have issues with the pitch ribbon going bad. While a new ribbon isn't too expensive ($50 USD), this isnt the type of issue you want before a live show. I also am not a fan of the button layout. Look up some pictures.. I find the octave buttons much better accessible on the ax-1

You have already decided against the AX-Synth... I personally cannot get over the shape of it, and I personally don't like the control layout.

The Ax-1 is where they got it right in my opinion... The octave buttons are in an obvious and natural place, and it has patch up and down buttons where you'd want them... Now I note that I don't use the patch buttons as most would. Allow me to further explain.

On my kronos, I have all my keytar sounds on a combi, and arrange them by midi channel. I have the kronos not receive any program changes. The AX-1 will change it's own patch, however the next patch up is simply a different midi channel and will transmit on that channel to the kronos. Quite convenient.

Message me if you have any questions, since I have a keytar and a kronos.

Current gear: Korg Kronos 61, Oberheim OB-8, Alesis Vortex
Past Gear: Triton Extreme w/moss & ram, Korg Radias, Kurzweil Micropiano, Triton classic, & Karma
Come visit my Burbank California repair shop/recording studio! Rosensound.com
And my band: Sirion.us.com
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - will definitely look at the AX1 if I can find one...

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
TuomasEaston

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with this thread for the most part.

Most of them look like cheap plastic toys, which is why I've always customized my own keyboards (painting, adding lights, recasing, etc). I recently built a wooden keytar with internals from an M-Audio 49es.

http://imgur.com/a/mHA8P#0

I have the AX7 and have definitely had problems with the pitch bar. I took it to a repair shop, where they replace the ribbon ($35ish + labor), and it still has a bit of a problem.. they told me it was an issue with the motherboard itself, and that's like $500 to replace.. SOO i may as well just get a new one.. which will certainly be the AX-1.

I also use the MIDI soloing for patch switching, it's much simpler when interfacing with a DAW for multiple VST sounds.
iamtheswordmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the upcoming Korg RK 100S? Played it at the Musikmesse and fell in love instantly with this little beast... a GREAT performance tool!

http://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/rk_100s/
six_feet_under

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keytars would be sooooooo much better without wasting the player's left hand on a stupid simulated guitar neck. Let us be keys players and stop trying to simulate a guitar!

I got frustrated waiting for Manufacturers, and converted my own Kross1 into a keytar. This keytar has 5 octaves of full size keys, with multiple splits, battery powered, under 10lbs, and one of the coolest looking KROG's ever made. https://youtu.be/I7YHznSAEYY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: