Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Quick questions from a Korg PA700 newbie

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WhatPound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Quick questions from a Korg PA700 newbie Reply with quote

Hi

Proud parent of a brand new baby Korg. Rather than open a thread for each one, here are a few quick questions about the PA700:

1. Outside of using ones from style mode, can I find premade drum loops to run under a multitrack sequencer recording? Or is the way to do this to record my own, and then use copy and repeat?
2. Is there a way to convert a multitrack MIDI recording into an MP3 (the way you would in MIDI software), rather than having to record it in real time?
3. Rather than playing a whole track through, is it possible to see at a glance which tracks have a sound recorded in them? Sometimes you might overwrite or delete a track, which then has a sound later in the recording.
4. If I do a sequencer quick record, using a style from style mode, and then record a new instrument in multitrack to go with it, I can afterwards change that instrument, and still have the notes played. But if I change the drum part to a different kit, it reverts to the old kit after a measure, or when I stop playback. Are drum kits locked in, if you get them from style mode?

Thanks a mill!
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick questions from a Korg PA700 newbie Reply with quote

WhatPound wrote:
Hi

Proud parent of a brand new baby Korg. Rather than open a thread for each one, here are a few quick questions about the PA700:

1. Outside of using ones from style mode, can I find premade drum loops to run under a multitrack sequencer recording? Or is the way to do this to record my own, and then use copy and repeat?
2. Is there a way to convert a multitrack MIDI recording into an MP3 (the way you would in MIDI software), rather than having to record it in real time?
3. Rather than playing a whole track through, is it possible to see at a glance which tracks have a sound recorded in them? Sometimes you might overwrite or delete a track, which then has a sound later in the recording.
4. If I do a sequencer quick record, using a style from style mode, and then record a new instrument in multitrack to go with it, I can afterwards change that instrument, and still have the notes played. But if I change the drum part to a different kit, it reverts to the old kit after a measure, or when I stop playback. Are drum kits locked in, if you get them from style mode?

Thanks a mill!

To answer our questions based on my experience with the PA700 (own one for 3 years as of Sept 2020):

1. The only way to get drum loops that I know of is by recording from a style for either the whole song or by recording a portion from the style and copy/paste for the rest of the song. Otherwise, you are basically stuck to programming the drums yourself and then copy/paste for the rest of the song (except for where you want an intro/fill/ending. You can also sample a drum loop into the machine and assign it to a key on the keybed to trigger in the sequence. I have never done this, so I would not be a good resource on how to do that.

2. I am not aware of how to convert a MIDI file to an MP3 on the PA700 other than to do it in real time. The PA700 has a Style Creator Bot that will attempt to convert the MIDI file to a Style, but unless the MIDI file is really good and was programmed well, the Style Creator Bot does not work too well. I believe that out of hundreds of attempts with different MIDI files, I have only two or three that actually were converted into a style that I could use. Even then, I had to change the sounds on each track to the factory or custom sounds in order for it to sound better. If I wanted an MP3 of it, I still had to record it in real time.

3. I am not aware of a track monitor feature on the PA700. I wish there was, because it would be easier than going into the Event Viewer mode for each track and find out if there is anything in the track. I have found that the old-fashioned way of writing down what each track would consist of still works well for me Smile

4. There is a way to go into the Event Viewer for every track and you can view the track information, including the program change information. It is in this data that you will find if a track has a program change in it or not. If it does, you can delete that information and then re-select the drum kit you want to use (or whatever other sound) and it should remember what you chose. Keep in mind that if you change sounds during recording a specific track that you may have other program change information later in the song that will also be in that track. You can filter the events you want to view in the viewer. You can filter out the 'note' information so all you see are controller and other stuff much easier than scrolling through all of the note information. Just make sure you remove the filter after you are done so the note info appears in the viewer again Smile

When I set up a sequence or load a pre-done MIDI file, I usually delete most of the controller/program change/exclusive messages from the beginning of every track. I then go change the programs to what I want each track to have, (MIDI files use GM sounds and not factory sounds) since the factory sounds are going to be much better than the GM engine. By deleting this info, I am also potentially deleting volume, panning, EFX, pitch bending info too. You have to be careful when deleting the info because you may still want pitch bend info (shown as 'Bend' in the Event Viewer) and possibly a few other things.

It is a good idea to have the CC#'s handy when deleting the info, so you know which CC# is which when you are deleting it.

I believe that there was a thread for the PA700/PA1000 where different users were sharing their sequences for others with the same machines to use. The only problem with this is that different users may have custom (User) sounds that are in the sequences and you would need their custom programs as well, in the same user location in your User bank(s).

I hope that I have answered your questions thoroughly enough and hopefully provided a bit more info on your PA700.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
WhatPound

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick questions from a Korg PA700 newbie Reply with quote

Thanks a million for such a detailed and helpful response.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Quick questions from a Korg PA700 newbie Reply with quote

WhatPound wrote:
... Outside of using ones from style mode, can I find premade drum loops to run under a multitrack sequencer recording?..

You can not run premade drum loops under multitrack sequencer recording, because recording of styles, pads and SMFs only deals with Midi messages.

WhatPound wrote:
... Is there a way to convert a multitrack MIDI recording into an MP3 (the way you would in MIDI software), rather than having to record it in real time? ..

If you want to choose a Style or a Song you can record them in a MP3 song (no conversion, but simply MP3 recording).
Everything you sing or play on the keyboard or a guitar, the Styles and the MIDI or MP3 Songs performed by the Players, the events generated by the KAOSS effects, will be recorded into a temporary MP3 file. After having stopped recording you select a storage device, a folder and a file name to save the file.
Because MP3 Songs are compressed audio recordings you recompress a compressed file when overdubbing MP3 in record mode - that causes artifacts that will be amplified and degrade the resulting audio.

So it is suggested to compose using the internal Sounds, Styles and MIDI Songs that easily can be transposed and overdubbed in MIDI Songs without any audio degradation - and finally when done with your song, you can record it as an MP3 file.

WhatPound wrote:
... ... There is a way to go into the Event Viewer for every track and you But if I change the drum part to a different kit, it reverts to the old kit after a measure, or when I stop playback. Are drum kits locked in, if you get them from style mode? ..

In style edit if you change drum part to a different kit it reverts the style element to old kit after a measure or when you stop playback, because data of Style Performance are used until new data are rewritten. Drum kits (and program changes) are not locked, if changes are rewritten before leaving style edit (overwrites style sequences and style performances).

In style play if you change sound of style tracks after you rewrite style performance with "write current style setting". That is the easier way to change drum kits in case you accept same sound of a track in all elements of a style and do not mark checkbox "original style sound".

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: