Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

256 MB memory boards

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spud

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:42 pm    Post subject: 256 MB memory boards Reply with quote

Hi, can someone help me out please?

I recently acquired an M3 88 Expanded with version 2.04 software. I ordered a 256MB board which was advertised quite unfairly I thought as an original KORG memory board thinking I would get the extra Brass and Woodwind sounds.

However the board was a standard SAMSUNG memory board and not the KORG original, it worked and I got the 256MB of memory but no extra Brass and Woodwind sounds. When I try to load them from the MEDIA menu it says file/path not found.

I have now found an original memory board but the seller tells me the board doesn't have any extra sounds.

I'm extremely confused and would be grateful for any help,

thank you
Spud

Korg M3, Triton Classic, Korg 01w/fd, EMU 5000 Ultra, iMac & Logic Pro 9, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14 Firewire,
https://michael-alantaylor.bandcamp.com/
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 4:03 am    Post subject: the m3 memory board does not contain any info or data Reply with quote

the m3 memory board does not contain any info or data
it is a basic computer memory not a burned rom like you have on an emu brand system.
so install your new 256 memory.
and from there now you have extra storage on your m3m where you can have on board 256 worth of sounds files.
try this seller on ebay for memory stick sounds
he has a lot of offerings in different auctions
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Korg-M3-Synthesizer-M3-114-Custom-Programmed-Sound-Collection/123014290055?
now from there you want to use the m3m editor for your pc or mac
to set up your play lists...
as the expanded memory is still too small..
what i did was use a larger memory card inside the unit...
i think it was a 2 gb. then i loaded more sounds inside the unit..
it was more work but it worked for me.

question for you
where are you trying to go with this m3m unit??
live or studio??
if you are live are they fixed music sets??
studio use the sound editor.
live use a super short memory stick like this one
something like this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mini-Usb-Flash-Drive-USB-2-0-Pendrive-Small-Flash-USB-Disk-for-PC-Portable-LOT-y/274124594141
that way it will not break off easy on the back of the m3m module..
then you can have your sound sets with you that you can load..
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Spud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iowagold, thank you so much, that is a massive help! Smile

Cheers
Spud.

Korg M3, Triton Classic, Korg 01w/fd, EMU 5000 Ultra, iMac & Logic Pro 9, Focusrite Sapphire Pro 14 Firewire,
Spud

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, I use my M3 for studio only Smile

fingersg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject: internal card?!!! Reply with quote

Iowagold,
What do you have reference to when you say change out the internal card? Is there an internal SD card or something I'm not aware of and if so, what is the process to perform this surgery?
Spud

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: 256 MB memory boards Reply with quote

Guys,

I was under the impression (forgive my ignorance please) that the original 'KORG 256MB' board had a ROM chip which contained the extra sounds etc. I have since learned that even the original KORG 256MB board is just a 'Memory board and that the extra sounds are dowloaded from the official KORG website. My M3 is working perfectly with the extra downloaded sounds. Apologies for being a numpty.

Man I love the 'Endless Strings' patch..

cheers
Spud.

HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: internal card?!!! Reply with quote

fingersg wrote:
Iowagold,
What do you have reference to when you say change out the internal card? Is there an internal SD card or something I'm not aware of and if so, what is the process to perform this surgery?

There is an indeed an SD card inside the M3. The card holds settings, patches, and the Korg proprietary samples that you can auto-load. You may not need to perform any surgery. I didn't change out the original SD card that came with my M3. I simply connected my M3 to a PC via the USB cable and booted up the M3 in storage mode. That gave me access to the files on the M3's SD card as if it were a removable drive on my PC. I then copied over all of the EXB-USB sample sets onto the card, including the V1 Stereo Piano samples.

I don't recall the full process, such as how much space is needed, or where to put the files on the SD card. I'd have to track down that info on a forum post somewhere -- might on the Karmalab M3 wiki. But to get your M3 into storage mode, connect a usb cable to the USB "B" port to you PC, press and hold down the Locate button and the 0 number button on the M3 module as you switch on the M3. It should show up as a drive. From there, the files get copied somewhere... Not entirely sure at the moment though. Sorry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: