Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

layering octaves on programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KatCraig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: layering octaves on programs Reply with quote

Hello all,
I am trying to figure out a way to layer the same program or sound, but in octaves or fifths. Does this make sense? so the first sound would be say Grand Piano, then the second sound would also be Grand Piano, but at a 5th or an octave above whatever note is being played. Does anyone know how this can be accomplished? Thank you in advance!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Create a Combination, or edit an existing one, with both timbres on the same MIDI channel (e.g. 01G), using the Combi edit page P3 MIDI tab, and set the Transpose of the second timbre by 5 or 12 semitones in the Pitch tab.
KatCraig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give this a try! I'm still pretty new at creating and editing combinations, but I'll give it a shot. Thank you Voip! Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also possible to do this in Program mode where, just to be clear, Program mode is effectively nothing to do with computer programming, as such, but basically means single timbre mode, whereas a Combination is up to sixteen Programs or Timbres. Programs can consist of either one or two Oscillators, or sound sources, either of which can be transposed. Piano Programs tend to use sounds like the piano tailpiece for the second Oscillator, so don't lend themselves to doing the type of transposition you envisaged. Other Programs, e.g. synth type programs, might be better suited for using a transposition within a Program.
KatCraig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it done the same way? I'm still kind of learning
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be scope for learning, even after many years of using the Krome. The Operation Guide and Parameter Guide are extremely useful. If you are new to Korg keyboards, it will take a little while for the terminology to make sense. Like learning a new subject.

For Programs, the necessary settings are on edit page P2 OSC/Pitch, on the tabs: OSC1 Setup (and OSC2 Setup for a two oscillator Program). There, you will find four related settings, Octave (for whole octaves), Transpose (for semitones), Tune (for altering in Cents, i.e. one hundredths of a semitone), and a direct frequency offset, (in Hz). The latter could be used to generate a "beat" note between Osc 1 and Osc 2 that remains the same across the keyboard, though there are other ways to generate a rhythmicity within a Program e.g. using an LFO, or an arpeggiator.

voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every Combination that comes as standard, has the KROME Grand Piano allocated to the unused Timbres, so it is possible to unmute one of those, set it's MIDI channel to 01G and Transpose it and have fun experimenting. The changes you make are not stored or saved until you actually Write the Combi, using the top right drop down menu, so don't worry about messing up the keyboard sounds (in any case, they can be restored). As soon as you change to a different Combi, your changes are lost.

KatCraig

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thank you voip! I haven't had a chance to play with the settings yet, but this is super helpful Smile I appreciate it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: