Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is it worth buying a korg prologue today?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpabisz

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:01 pm    Post subject: is it worth buying a korg prologue today? Reply with quote

So just like it says, is it worth buying a korg prologue today?

Im eyeing a new synth and thinking of getting the 16. (possibly 8, im still debating). This will be my main. Just wondering what peoples thoughts and the general consensus are about it today are.

thanks
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still use mine nearly everyday. It's still worth it to me even though I paid nearly 1800.00 for the 16 back when they were still pretty new to the market. Is it worth the current price for you? Only you can answer that.

Try to get some hands on time with it. The 3rd party oscillators and fx still seem to be going strong with new releases all the time.

Good luck with whatever you end up with!
MRNUTTY

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine all day everyday for sound design using digital oscillators and writing code for them. The user oscillator makes this synth more future proofed against getting old - I can always whip up another oscillator.

If you don't like writing code, there's so many to choose from:
https://korginc.github.io/logue-sdk/unit-index/
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: is it worth buying a korg prologue today? Reply with quote

mpabisz wrote:

Im eyeing a new synth and thinking of getting the 16. (possibly 8, im still debating). This will be my main. Just wondering what peoples thoughts and the general consensus are about it today are.

thanks

For sure, nobody who has spent 1,800 $ for this synth would tell you it doesn't worth it !
Yet, the fact is that the Prologue is largely overpriced. Too many downsides, too, and limitations.
Some other synth, on the same price range let the Prologue far behind.
Just have a look to the Novation Summit for example. (here is a review, if you don't know it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHZXq1c6tk
Of course many others exist.
Narioso

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: is it worth buying a korg prologue today? Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
mpabisz wrote:

thanks

For sure, nobody who has spent 1,800 $ for this synth would tell you it doesn't worth it !
Yet, the fact is that the Prologue is largely overpriced. Too many downsides, too, and limitations.
Some other synth, on the same price range let the Prologue far behind.
Just have a look to the Novation Summit for example. (here is a review, if you don't know it : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YHZXq1c6tk
Of course many others exist.

And did you buy a Summit and have to defend that, or?

Did you even read that OP has Nordlead 2X - why would he need a another digital synth like Summit?
In my view Nordlead hold the fort when it comes to digital virtual analog if without effects as 2X.

The lovelyness that a true analog synth brings, and also have a 3rd digital oscillator like multiengine whether user oscillator or vpn - you cover many areas as sound goes.

Prologue is real fun to work with, and as menu system goes very clever use on the 8 buttons to get a direct link in the right spot in menu.

And Prologue 8 is like $1000 making it very much bang for buck. Then if into making sequenced sound beyond anything there is money left for a Wavestate as well, but having Wavestation that probably fill most needs in that area.

If to look for digital synth I would go for UDO Super 6 or Waldorf Kyra or something in that price range.
mpabisz

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MRNUTTY wrote:
I use mine all day everyday for sound design using digital oscillators and writing code for them. The user oscillator makes this synth more future proofed against getting old - I can always whip up another oscillator.

im no coder by any means. sounds very complicated aha. but i see you left a link. ill look at that. thanks!
mpabisz

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should have worded my question better.

when I meant worth it, I meant more as in, its been out for awhile. its not new to the market. and as far as price, i meant, would it be worth it to spend more money and buy a different synth altogether? the price of the unit doesnt bother me. if it did, I wouldnt be asking at all.

Also too, no one knows when korg will release new hardware. however, i dont know if there are rumours or talks about korg updating or releasing a new prologue altogether. Being a few years old, I am not sure if its worth waiting or not. my guess is that there is no talks about a new one yet. but maybe someone else knows otherwise.

Thanks
AuntBee

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my Prologue for a while now - I've loved it from the start, and the longer I own it, the more I enjoy working with it. I've started adding user oscs and this only enhances my experience. I picked up a Prophet 6 not long back and thought I'd end up moving the Prologue to the back burner, but I'm having the opposite experience. I adore the P6 - this is my second one - but it's in groovy contrast to the Korg. Each synth makes me appreciate the other.

It's funny to me that we can be so concerned with a synth going "out of date," considering we're supposedly obsessed with how vintage things sound or not! The Prologue has a wonderful, fascinating sound - old skoo and nu - and it can range from beautiful to freaky/ugly. I'm not exaggerating when I say I discover something new with it every day. I've got a PolySix and an MS-10, and the Prologue can touch on some of my favourite aspects of those guys. I'm a fan and can count the Prologue amongst my favs.
Narioso

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I don't like something I bought - I put that that on my education money account, and sell off again with some loss usually. Wink

Before Prologue I had KingKorg that I sold, to get DeepMInd 6 and then added Prologue 8 as well.

Loss on KK was probably 25%, not more. I bought when prices was lowered quite a bit. At introduction it was almost double from what I bought it for, new. But gone up a bit since.

I never quite liked core sounds of KK, when effects were turned off. That has never been the case with Prologue, just great sounding. And all most important knobs on panel, compared to KK - so real nice to work with.

But there is always second hand market. But since analog gear has duplicated electronics for each voice, I would just check that all voices work. I read about vintage gear it happends that a voice is gone.
MRNUTTY

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mpabisz wrote:
MRNUTTY wrote:

im no coder by any means. sounds very complicated aha. but i see you left a link. ill look at that. thanks!

At this point you don't have to be a coder to enjoy it. There are a lot of free stuff there that's terrific. I posted my work on the free oscillator thread. Lots of fun.

For me, this synth will be my goto for a long time. I'll never run out of ideas for oscillators Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: