Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pedal Assign in Global Mode Newby Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RWolthuis

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Pedal Assign in Global Mode Newby Question Reply with quote

Hello. I’m new to Krome, but not to Korg. Have an XP expression pedal that should work, but when I assigned the pedal to Master Volume which is what I want, it does not work. I figure I’m missing something and would appreciate help. Thanks.

RW
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

Is the pedal a Korg EXP-2 or XVP-10 or 20 type pedal? If so, the pedal's Expression Output should be connected to the Assignable Pedal jack on the rear panel using a stereo jack cable.

RWolthuis

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s a Korg EXP-2 and I’m connecting as you noted.
RWolthuis

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other piece of info. When I connect the output on the pedal to the assigned pedal jack, I have no sound whatsoever.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the pedal fully depressed i.e. toe down? That should be the maximum volume position. If so, check the stereo connecting cable is in good condition and fully inserted. Also check that the cable and pedal contacts are clean.

RWolthuis

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is truly perplexing. Thinking it was a faulty cable or pedal, I hooked it up to my old 01W and it worked perfectly, so it appears the issue is not cables or the pedal itself. Appreciate your help...any other suggestions?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try connecting the stereo cable on its own to the Krome and measuring the voltage between the sleeve and tip of the plug at the other end. It should be close to 3.3V.

RWolthuis

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help. I don’t know how to measure, but I’ve tried other cables and all failed to make the pedal work.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Measuring the voltage would require use of a voltmeter or multimeter of some kind.

Have you tried setting the Foot Pedal Assign to Expression (CC#11) in the Global settings? Most Programs and Combis should respond to that. Another thing to try is to unplug the cable from the pedal whilst still connected to the Krome, and connect the Ring to the Tip with e.g. a very small piece of aluminium foil. That should send a signal for pedal fully toe down. Then try to connect the Ring to the Sleeve, which should send a signal for pedal fully up. With each of these direct connections, try playing the keyboard to see what happens.

RWolthuis

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your persistence. I did as you suggested and still expression pedal is not responding. Even tried two different 1/4 inch stereo cables.

This pedal is important to me because when performing live, I need to bring in and out, say, strings along with keys, and vary the volume. So, I really need to be able to within a combination, assign the pedal to a specific timbre, say, the strings. I tried that as well and am continuing to get no response.

I’m starting to think maybe the jack is defective? I don’t know. I’ve never encountered this problem before with previous Korg keyboards.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like the Krome has a fault, so maybe time for a repair shop to tackle it. It may be the assignable pedal jack socket has a problem, or the board assembly it is soldered to is faulty. Presumably the sustain/damper pedal works OK. Have you looked inside the jack socket with a strong light. I remember one issue with the assignable pedal function was down to a jack plug tip that had broken off and become stuck in the socket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Krome All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: