Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Suitable arrangers for gigging

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solohammer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:14 pm    Post subject: Suitable arrangers for gigging Reply with quote

Hi. I'm considering live performances in small venues ( Bars, private clubs etc) as a keyboard vocalist and would appreciate any advice from gigging musicians as to a suitable arranger keyboard.

My budget is up to £1500 and I'm happy to buy a good second hand unit.
Although the technology is improving, how big are the differences between say, a PA900, PA 3X and PA 3XLE or the new PA 1000. when performing live?

76 keys seems a no brainer but the added size and weight is worth bearing in mind when lugging gear up stairs and long walks from the car

So, from your experience, what is a good compromise in terms of features, sound, portability/useability, and of course price? Are there other arrangers in the price range that you use or suggest?

Many thanks for any suggestions, advice, anecdotes, words of caution.
Keymn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Suitable arrangers for gigging Reply with quote

Solohammer wrote:
Hi. I'm considering live performances in small venues ( Bars, private clubs etc) as a keyboard vocalist and would appreciate any advice from gigging musicians as to a suitable arranger keyboard.

My budget is up to £1500 and I'm happy to buy a good second hand unit.
Although the technology is improving, how big are the differences between say, a PA900, PA 3X and PA 3XLE or the new PA 1000. when performing live?

76 keys seems a no brainer but the added size and weight is worth bearing in mind when lugging gear up stairs and long walks from the car

So, from your experience, what is a good compromise in terms of features, sound, portability/useability, and of course price? Are there other arrangers in the price range that you use or suggest?

Many thanks for any suggestions, advice, anecdotes, words of caution.

I upgraded from a PA3x To a PA1000. The 3x was just more weight. With the PA1000 you have many of the 4x flagship features but do not have that much weight. Use a lightweight bag vs. the 3x with heavier bag with wheels. I use the pa1000 for gigging but only thing, the mic input does not have phantom power for a condenser mic. And all inputs/outputs are unbalanced which I do not hear any difference. The pa1000 has only 1 pedal port which you can only use Single foot switch or volume pedal. Like the 3x you can plug in the ec5 pedal to give you up to 5 switches. And to get more into lower price range look at pa700. May be all you need? Similar but I have not tried it.
If you have not experienced the pa series, I would also look into the Yamaha psrsx900 to compare.
Solohammer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear your experience, Keymn. Do you have additional speakers at the live performances you do or do you find the built in speakers on the PA1000 are loud enough for small venues, such as pubs. clubs private halls etc?

I have been tending towards the 76 key PA 3x for the reason that it gives a greater range when splitting the keyboard, but I won't know if this is important until I buy one and start gigging.

The 76 key is a nuisance to carry about mainly because its length makes it tend to swing as you walk around corners and stair landings, rather than just its extra weight.

It would be great to hire the different keyboards for a short test period to be able to know what you most need.
Keymn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solohammer wrote:
Good to hear your experience, Keymn. Do you have additional speakers at the live performances you do or do you find the built in speakers on the PA1000 are loud enough for small venues, such as pubs. clubs private halls etc?

I have been tending towards the 76 key PA 3x for the reason that it gives a greater range when splitting the keyboard, but I won't know if this is important until I buy one and start gigging.

The 76 key is a nuisance to carry about mainly because its length makes it tend to swing as you walk around corners and stair landings, rather than just its extra weight.

It would be great to hire the different keyboards for a short test period to be able to know what you most need.

The built in speakers are good for practice and setup. Maybe use them at small family or nursing home events. They sound nice.
I am not a technical musician, but tend to more entertain, so type of keyboard is not an issue. But playing newer models makes it easier to perform. PA3x has been my keys for over 5 years. It is great but the later styles on pa1000/4x are not compatible. So you might have to look at outside vendors that supply thes style conversions.
But around 2000 usd verses a used pa3x, the pa1000 May be a better value at same price or less? But I am sure there may be a good deal out there!
As far as external speakers, so many options...
Keymn

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keymn wrote:
Solohammer wrote:

The built in speakers are good for practice and setup. Maybe use them at small family or nursing home events. They sound nice.
I am not a technical musician, but tend to more entertain, so type of keyboard is not an issue. But playing newer models makes it easier to perform. PA3x has been my keys for over 5 years. It is great but the later styles on pa1000/4x are not compatible. So you might have to look at outside vendors that supply thes style conversions.
But around 2000 usd verses a used pa3x, the pa1000 May be a better value at same price or less? But I am sure there may be a good deal out there!
As far as external speakers, so many options...

Yamaha dbr12 and Qsc k12 is the speakers I use. Qsc K12 for outdoor events and the Yamaha dbr12 for indoor events. Ask why? The dbr series has a 90Degree spread which is better for smaller venues. The 10” models on either series are something to try...but so many other options, I am sure others have experienced...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Arrangers (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: