Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Percussion Stand ST-WD

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:54 am    Post subject: Percussion Stand ST-WD Reply with quote

The Wavedrum can be used with a snare stand or with Korg's Percussion Stand ST-WD. As the Wavedrum Manual says, "If you want to play the WAVEDRUM in a standing position, like a conga, you can use the optional Percussion Stand ST-WD (sold separately)."

I've got an ST-WD and I can confirm that it can raise the Wavedrum as high as a conga head. But I want to play standing up without having to bend my wrists and with the Wavedrum sloping so that its front is slightly down. That means having the Wavedrum at about waist height. In other words, more timbale heigh than conga height. I'm quite tall (6'1", 187 cm) and the ST-WD on its lowest setting is barely low enough. I do have very long arms, which does not help. But anyone quite a bit shorter than me would find it impossible.

Now, I'm not criticising the ST-WD for not doing what it does not claim to do. If you want your Wavedrum conga height, as advertised, you will love the ST-WD. I just want to warn anyone who wants to use the ST-WD the way I do that they could have a problem. And I want to discuss alternatives.

Not surprisingly, the sit-down snare stands I've tried cannot not be adjusted high enough for me to play the Wavedrum standing up. (If you are short, you might just manage it.)

I've tried a (Lazer brand) concert snare stand (designed for playing a snare drum standing up) and was surprised to find that the lowest it lets me mount the Wavedrum is only about an inch lower than the ST-WD.

What I'd really like would be a stand that would allow enough vertical adjustment to play the Wavedrum either sitting down or at the lower end of the standing-up range. It must be theoretically possible, but I have not found anything that will do the job.
aminco

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share your frustration. I bought the Korg ST-WD stand aiming for exactly the same standing posture you describe. In fact it was an essential part of why I was sold on the Wavedrum. I was bothered with the stand height at the shop but figured there'll be a way to lower it. I am 5'10.

The Wavedrum surprised me with many features of my dream machine, but alas you can just get that lucky. The ST-WD does not allow my desired setup/posture. I found that if I adjust the legs to be closer together, the basket lowers down a bit, and i'm almost there. Just for the hell of it I tried pulling out the basket out and sticking it into an Ikea table stand that allowed a slightly lower height (4" lower than the ST-WD). It was a good proof-of-concept, though not more.

Part of my interest in the Wavedrum is that it theoretically allows a more flexible positioning than acoustic drums. I am shooting for The Ergonomically Perfect Darbuka. Would appreciate any info on alternative stands.

While we're at it, anyone has an idea for a hard case for this sweet but sensitive unit? carrying this in a plastic bag makes me nervous.
SimonO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello aminco.

Well actually I do have some more suggestions. I held back on them in my initial post because they did not sound that good and I was hoping someone would suggest something better. However, as at least one fellow-Wavedrummer has the same problem, here's all I've come up with.

Firstly, I do not understand why the minimum height of the Lazer concert snare drum stand is so high. If you put a snare drum instead of a Wavedrum on the Lazer stand, it would be even taller at the minimum height, because most snare drums are much taller than the Wavedrum. Maybe that's how classical percussionists like their snare drums positioned. Or maybe other makes/models of concert snare drum stands can go lower than the Lazer. If so, a different concert snare drum stand could be the answer. I don't know. The Lazer is the only one I have found to try.

In one other respect, the Lazer is very good. The middle section of the Korg ST-WD actually fits into the base of the Lazer stand, providing a superior fitting (and about the same height) for the Wavedrum that does the Lazer's own top section. Some other concert snare drum stands likely do the same, but I bet it is not standard across all makes and models.

Secondly, how's this for a Frankenstein's monster of a stand, made up of different parts? I tried this in a local musical instrument shop. Get a clamp that holds two poles in parallel. I tried a Pearl AX-20. And get a drum throne and take the top off its base. I tried a Gibraltar 5608. Now clamp the middle section of the ST-WD to the vertical pole of the drum throne base. By adjusting both the positions of the two poles in the clamp and the height of the ST-WD within its middle, I was able to obtain a huge range of heights, from sitting down to higher than I wanted standing up. It was a bit fiddly to adjust and the stability was not great (though put the ST-WD middle near one of the base's legs to maximise that). So I decided against it, for now at least. If you only want it in one position, the fiddlyness won't be such a problem. The stability is more of a problem when the Wavedrum is played with the hands.

If you only want to play standing up, you could do the same thing with a cymbal stand base, which might provide improved stability. The limiting factor for lowest height of the Wavedrum with this method is the height of the base pole. The Wavedrum is over the top of the pole, so that's as low as it will go.

Simon
aminco

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option would be to perform wearing KISS-style platform boots. Think about it - under the circumstances, they might be deductible.
bubinga

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Not low enough? Reply with quote

I was actually considering buying a STWD until I see this post for which I thank you.

I was thinking it allows a lowest setting so that it can be played sitting and a higher setting for stand-up play. So I understand it's not low enough to provide a sitting use, is it?

And the lowest and the extended heights are not disclosed anywhere.
SimonO

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ST-WD is definitely not suitable for playing the Wavedrum sitting down.
billbaker
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know jack about the wave drum, but I know drum hardware. It's not an exaggeration to say that every drum kit is ergonomically customized at a level that keyboard players only dream of.

If the KORG stand doesn't cut it - treat the wavedrum as if it were just another drum and look at what's available.

Start with something that would normally support a cymbal and a boom. You can usually find a heavy duty cymbal stand (double leg tripod) cheap on ebay, these stands are adjustable from low chest level down to mid thigh (standing) depending on brand, and have a wide enough footprint to give you a warm fuzzy feeling about mounting your expensive (OK, I know a little about the wave drum) gear on top of it.

The cymbal mount can be discarded - all you really need is a pipe of the correct diameter (home depot or lowes). If you clamp on the top end of a snare stand (the adjustable claw) you should be able to mount the wave drum (aka flat/round object or drum) securely at a variety of heights. If you use something that has a tilt adjustment, you can play at angles up to 45 degrees.

I'm assuming that the wavedrum DOESN'T have mounting hardware (like the standard percussion spike for Roland or KAT pads) because if it does you're solution is even simpler, you just get one of those (KAT's the cheapest) and an adjustable clamp (Pacific Drum or Viking) and mount it to a cymbal stand and you're ready to go.

BB

BB

Triton Extreme 88, Triton Classic Pro, Trinity V3 Pro
+E-mu, Alesis, Korg, Kawai, Yamaha, Line-6, TC Elecronics, Behringer, Lexicon...
aminco

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:56 am    Post subject: Improves with time Reply with quote

I changed my mind after fidgeting with the stand and finally changing my playing style to have the drum more horizontal. I must say the stand itself if very solid.
trigg

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:05 pm    Post subject: wavedrum stand Reply with quote

hi guys,

I bought a Wavedrum today and want to use it in standing position. I'm very tall (almost 2 meters) and want to play without having to bend my wrists, so a tall stand is necessary.

They sold me a Pearl S1000L Concert Stand with the wavedrum, but this stand is way too low.

Now I read several opinions on the ST-WD from Korg and I'm not quite sure if this is the stand I need.

Can I raise this stand high enough (for instance 1m60)? Or is it's maximum height lower? Thanks for your help!
Gizmo1300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the same issue with getting just the right hight and angle
I found a robust sheet music stand and have modified the top (where the sheet music goes) with a few rubber feet to hold it in place. This gives me full hight adjustment with angle adjustment.
I intend to cut the top down so that it doesn't look so out of place with a big platform.
Just an idea.

Confused
djtomharvey

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 10:20 pm    Post subject: Korg Wavedrum Stand Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I'm following proper protocol but hopefully!
I have been unable to find out the actual maximum and minimum height for the Korg Wavedrum Stand. I'd like to get on right now if it'll be tall enough. I'm going to be playing standing up and I'm 6' tall. Hoping I can get it 36" high.
I need something and the Korg stand looks best if I can get the height. Thanks for any and all help!
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2020 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lowest mine goes to is 36" - the highest is about 56"

hope this helps

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Wavedrum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: