Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MS2000 as Midi Controller - Midi Out Not Working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rossblake01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: MS2000 as Midi Controller - Midi Out Not Working Reply with quote

Hi All,

I have a Korg MS2000 and I'm trying to use it as a midi controller.
I'm using Cubase 10 with Windows 10 on a PC laptop. My interface is a Focusrite Claret 4pre USB.

I'm connecting from the MS2000 to the back of the Focusrite using midi cables.

I am able to send midi signals (from the focusrite midi out port) out to the MS2000 so that the MS2000 is controlled by the midi on cubase. This deffo works.

However - using the same midi cable (that I know works) - I am trying to send midi signals from the 'out' of the MS2000 to the 'in' of the Focusrite.
Nothing happens - there no midi signals registering - (nothing is registering on the midi activity meter ont the Cubase transport bar).

Yesterday I was having this very same problem and miracuously it seemed to fix itself (and I was able to play VST instruments on Cubase using the MS2000)- but I'm not sure what I did that made it work!!
Therefore I know that this can work - but something strange is happening. Today I'm having no luck.

(I have tried this with the MS2000 local midi on and off and it makes no difference)
(I have assigned the midi out to channel 1 and the incoming midi routing to channel 1 also - however this is by-the-by because there's zero midi in activity).
(I have also tried this on another laptop - a macbook pro with ableton - same problem - no midi input signals via the focusrite)

Therefore the problem is with either the Focusrite or the MS2000.

Can anyone help please - any tips? - it's driving me completely bananas!!!

Much appreciated!

Ross Mad
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Don't you have another soundmodule with MIDI In? Then you could try to control that one straight away with a MIDI cable without a PC and the Focusrite, to rule one of them out.
Or try a USB-MIDI cable. Some of them have even leds that blink when MIDI is passing by.

Try the loopback method. Setup the MS2K in local off. Hitting keys should not result in any sound as the notes are sent only on MIDI Out but not to the sound engine.
Now plug the cable from MIDI IN to MIDI OUT on the MS2K itself. The MIDI Out notes are now via the cable fed back into the synth and it should sound again. At least if your midi out is ok.

Good luck.
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: just a stab at the issue Reply with quote

just a stab at the issue
check your midi channels.
most of the issues I run in to are related to the channel settings.
drums on 10 etc.

it gets crazy in the studio here..
over 100 sound modules... miles of cables..
add in a few patch bays... lol!!

I use label maker and white board for notes on midi maps.
mark your cables and use color bands as well.
some times old school color rubber bands work well on cables
then color dots on the gear.
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
rossblake01

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:29 pm    Post subject: It's crazy Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

Don't you have another soundmodule with MIDI In? Then you could try to control that one straight away with a MIDI cable without a PC and the Focusrite, to rule one of them out.
Or try a USB-MIDI cable. Some of them have even leds that blink when MIDI is passing by.

Try the loopback method. Setup the MS2K in local off. Hitting keys should not result in any sound as the notes are sent only on MIDI Out but not to the sound engine.
Now plug the cable from MIDI IN to MIDI OUT on the MS2K itself. The MIDI Out notes are now via the cable fed back into the synth and it should sound again. At least if your midi out is ok.

Good luck.

Hi OpAmp

Thanks for your response and the great tips. Sorry for the delay but I wanted to wait until I'd tried everything. This has become very strange.

Firstly no i don't have any other external midi devices. Was hoping to use the MS2000 as my controller - may have to buy another one just midi - but that would be a shame + I have zero space.

Trouble shoot 1
MS2000 Loopback with local midi off
I've tested this and the loopback works! No audio comes out of the MS2000 until the midi in it connected.
This suggest there is a midi signal successfully coming out of the Midi Out

Trouble Shoot 2
Test the midi ports on my Focusrite Claret Interface
I found a way of doing this using the same principle as the loopback - just connect the midi out port to the midi in port. Indeed this works and confirms that both midi ports work.
I tested this with cubase and with 'Midiox'. When the unplug either end the signal coming through stops. So it appears both devices are functional.

This is bonkers because surely the midi coming out of the MS2000 out should be received by the very functional Midi-In port on my interface - right? Am I going mad?

Trouble shoot Idea 3
I bought a midi to USB cable.
I plugged it in (swapping in and out) and still no midi signal reaches the computer either in Cubase or Midi Ox.
I am however able to send midi signals out of the computer to the midi in of the MS2000 and make sound come out.

Save me from this madness please?
How can the MS2000 recieve it's own midi-out signal, and my soundcard or computer not recieve it. Is it some different type of midi signal that only the MS2000 can understand?

Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Ross
rossblake01

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: just a stab at the issue Reply with quote

iowagold wrote:
just a stab at the issue
check your midi channels.
most of the issues I run in to are related to the channel settings.
drums on 10 etc.

it gets crazy in the studio here..
over 100 sound modules... miles of cables..
add in a few patch bays... lol!!

I use label maker and white board for notes on midi maps.
mark your cables and use color bands as well.
some times old school color rubber bands work well on cables
then color dots on the gear.

Hi iowagold

Thanks for your response and the tip.

Yes I'm definitely running this troubleshooting using the correct channels - testing this with 'any' selected on cubase - also with 1 and a few others just to check.

No fruit!

See my last response to OpAmp on this threat - the situatoin here make no sense at all. So very curious!

Thanks

Ross
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Good that you tested the loopback both on the focusrite and the ms2k.
Good also that you play with midiox. You can not really come closer to the hardware.

However the results leave me puzzled... I'm now out of ideas. It looks like an electric problem, altough by construction MIDI interfaces should not suffer from it. (Logic levels are send by current instead of voltages and at the receive side converted via an optocoupler to the main working voltage of the receiver...)

Few last things you could still try. Both with the focusrite as well as the MIDI-USB interface hooked up to the MS2K
* Do you use 2 MIDI cables at the same time (meaning audio IF MIDI OUT to MS2K MIDI IN and MS2K MIDI OUT to audio IF MIDI IN? If yes try to leave out the first one and restart the MS2K.
* Global parameters/P3 MIDI/Clock -> set it to external
* Global parameters/P3 MIDI filter/SystemEx -> set it to disable

Concerning the electric issue, a more exotic test is:
You repeat the experiment with the loopback on the MS2K. The funny thing is that the signal of MIDI OUT will go in MIDI IN of the board, but will also be replicated and electrically be rebuffered on the MIDI THRU port which you could connect to the focusrite MIDI IN... But I would try this as last option.

Good luck.
rossblake01

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OpAmp wrote:
Hi,

Good that you tested the loopback both on the focusrite and the ms2k.
Good also that you play with midiox. You can not really come closer to the hardware.

However the results leave me puzzled... I'm now out of ideas. It looks like an electric problem, altough by construction MIDI interfaces should not suffer from it. (Logic levels are send by current instead of voltages and at the receive side converted via an optocoupler to the main working voltage of the receiver...)

Few last things you could still try. Both with the focusrite as well as the MIDI-USB interface hooked up to the MS2K
* Do you use 2 MIDI cables at the same time (meaning audio IF MIDI OUT to MS2K MIDI IN and MS2K MIDI OUT to audio IF MIDI IN? If yes try to leave out the first one and restart the MS2K.
* Global parameters/P3 MIDI/Clock -> set it to external
* Global parameters/P3 MIDI filter/SystemEx -> set it to disable

Concerning the electric issue, a more exotic test is:
You repeat the experiment with the loopback on the MS2K. The funny thing is that the signal of MIDI OUT will go in MIDI IN of the board, but will also be replicated and electrically be rebuffered on the MIDI THRU port which you could connect to the focusrite MIDI IN... But I would try this as last option.

Good luck.

Hi OpAmp,

Thanks again for the suggestions.
Actually I only have the one midi cable - so yes I've only been testing the ports separately anyway.

I tried making the clock external and the SystemEx disabled but that didn't help I'm afraid.
Also tried playing out on every midi channel on the MS2000 and no dice.

I'm waiting on another midi cable in the post. Once that arrives I'll try the midi thru option.

Thanks

Ross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg MS2000 & microKorg All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: